• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kabukicho Sherlock is giving me Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens vibes. Which definitely isn't a bad thing. Couldn't say that all of the jokes worked for me, but overall it was pretty entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kabukicho Sherlock is not as good as I thought it would be.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Looks like there's not too much this season grabbing my attention. Not counting holdovers from Summer like Vinland Saga, Blade of the Immortal and Ascendance of a Bookworm look like they could be fun. I also totally forgot the first episode back for MHA was basically designed to be somewhat of a recap, but I'll definitely be keeping up with that.

Babylonia is 100% not for me, especially if El Melloi already seemed extra "Fate lore heavy." Most of the comedies like After School Dice Club felt generic. I'm super interested to see how the reader polls turn out for weekly reviews, and hopefully something surprises me midway through! I had a ton of good anime to watch throughout the year though, so I can't really complain. I guess I do wish Beastars was airing if I had to complain about anything.

Also, quick correction: MHA is not just streaming on Crunchyroll. Funimation and Hulu have it as well with subs + a same-day dub.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
re Blade of the Immortal, Theron wrote:
this is the same director behind Shigurui: Death Frenzy

Ah, that's why I was getting such nostalgic vibes for Shigurui and Texhnolyze (which it turns out he also directed) from the character designs and mood! Ridiculously over the top violence and depravity aside, I'm all in for this one. Loved the symbolism and oppressive dread of the water wheel punctuating the beginning and (heh) coming full circle at the end. I anticipate good stuff here.

I agree that Assassins Parody may or may not be one, but it's amusing enough to watch until I start falling behind on everything. I was already Rolling Eyes -ing with the princess standing on the railing for no apparent reason, and then when worried Vampir was looking up her skirt, she didn't just jump backwards off the rail, but instead precariously tried to pull her skirt down until she dropped so daintily into his arms. I think they're gonna run out of flower petals before this is over...

I'm sorry to say that I feel like Junichi Suwabe is slightly miscast in Assy McGee No Gun Heads. I think I would've preferred swapping him with Tsujida in Immortal, though I also hate to see the latter get typecast as the gritty gumshoe. But with that voice, it's kind of inevitable. Anyway, it looks weirdly interesting. I'm relieved the subtitles call them Extendeds, because just calling them Extends makes me think of penis pills, and I'd rather not.

Speaking of Suwabe, his role in Kabukichō Sherlock (still waiting for an explanation of the weird English title) just made me cringe the whole time. Given that the scriptwriter has such a good track record with me (91 Days, Bunny Drop, Haikyuu!!, Silver Spoon, et al), this is starting out on a seriously disappointing foot, but I can't help but like the Joker Game character designs. I give it another episode to do something that will allow me to tolerate this.

Scars Align had me scratching my head until the end. It looked like a typical "genki sports boy incites unmotivated teammates to love the sport" story, but genki sports boy came off as really unlikable somehow. And childhood friend he wants to recruit seemed super nice and chill to everyone...until genki sports boy tries to recruit him, and then suddenly he turns into an asshat too. But then the light dawned, at least a bit, at the end, so I'm in.

I feel like I've seen Chinese Food Wars before, but maybe not. It looks ok. I think I want a Silkie for a pet now, but the neighborhood cats would eat it. Funny that it airs almost back to back with Japanese Food Wars 4.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Assassins Pride (4 out of 5) - The assassin with a heart of gold is typical for anime but I like the grimdark fairy tale setting of a world of darkness that is filled with living nightmares. Considering the schoolgirl uniforms I was expecting the show to have some fanservice but strangely enough the anime purposefully avoids it even though there are several opportunities. I can't tell whether that decision is hilarious or simply ironic like the name of the assassin's guild. Overall it was a good episode that reminds me of Black Cat and I am curious to see where the story goes.

Didn't I Say To Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? (4 out of 5) - As a fan of the light novels I was really looking forward to the anime but like Arifureta from the previous season the production studio has skipped a lot of the first light novel. It will still be a cute fantasy adventure but the changes made the first episode a bit more average than it needed to be.

Kandagawa Jet Girls (3.5 out of 5) - A fairly good fanservice show and while Val X Love wins the ecchi award this season I think there is a good chance this show will get second place. The jet ski racing in Kandagawa Jet Girls has a sense of ecchi humor that reminds me of Senran Kagura. Also this will be the final project that Kenichiro Takaki will be involved with at Marvelous which seems to be moving away from ecchi games after this project.

No Gun Life (4.5 out of 5) - A great show that balances between cyberpunk detective drama and cute comedy while somehow managing to make that combination feel completely natural. As natural as the fact that the show gets you used to the main character having a gun for a head but most of the time acts like a gritty detective. The cyberpunk setting is a standard dystopian future but it makes the cyborg enhancements look useful enough that it is easy to believe that it was something that gradually happened over time.

Z/X Code Reunion (3.5 out of 5) - I thought this was going to be a sequel to Z/X Ignition but so far it looks like an alternative world version of it. The earlier anime did a good job of gradually revealing why the five worlds were fighting each other while Z/X Code Reunion drops the audience right into the middle of the story. Z/X Ignition was a good show with one of the most charming angels in anime so I am hoping that Z/X Code Reunion improves but the first episode feels like it was made for existing fans of the game.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Could someone explain why the official English title for Kabukichō Sherlock is Case File nº221: Kabukichō?

Funimation most likely removed Sherlock from the title to avoid potential copyright issues since I have read that the copyright owners in the United States are still taking people to court over Sherlock since they claim they own the Sherlock copyright until 2023.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Could someone explain why the official English title for Kabukichō Sherlock is Case File nº221: Kabukichō?

To my knowledge the character of Sherlock Holmes is public domain. As for what the new title means "221" is a reference to his address 221 Bakers Street.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:51 am Reply with quote
Having now watched both episodes of Blade of the Immortal somehow Kenjiro Tsuda as Manji just doesn't sound right to my ear. I'll probably get used to it after a few more episodes. Weirdly I almost feel like they could swap the VAs of Manji and Painter Spy dude and the voices would fit better. Maybe not that weird to think that since Painter Spy dude's VA was Manji's VA in the 2008 anime. Heh.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

To my knowledge the character of Sherlock Holmes is public domain. As for what the new title means "221" is a reference to his address 221 Bakers Street.

I kinda figured that, but I still don't get the oddity of nº instead of No. That's gonna bug me for the whole series. Smile

As far as copyright issues, titles can't be copyrighted; however characters can, and the characters are still named Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, among others, so a title change would hardly get them off the hook if there were any question about public domain.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
In the US, Judge Richard Posner rules in 2014 that the character Sherlock Holmes could no longer be copyrighted. All but ten of the stories have entered the public domain, and the Conan Doyle estate argued that because Holmes's character is made more complex in those later stories, "Sherlock Holmes" remained copyrightable. The court disagreed.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/sherlock-holmes-now-officially-copyright-and-open-business-180951794/

The decision itself: http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D06-16/C:14-1128:J:Posner:aut:T:fnOp:N:1363624:S:0

How any of this applies to Japan is an open question. However the HBO/Japanese co-production Miss Sherlock has an impressive list of credits at the end, but I didn't see any that referred to the Conan Doyle estate.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How any of this applies to Japan is an open question. However the HBO/Japanese co-production Miss Sherlock has an impressive list of credits at the end, but I didn't see any that referred to the Conan Doyle estate.

Japan is a rule of shorter term country, which means that works become public domain no later than they would in the country of origin. In the UK, copyright is life + 70 years, which means that all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works are now public domain in the UK, so Sherlock Holmes is public domain in Japan as well. (Side note: the US is not a rule of shorter term country, which means the US's rule of 95 years from publication controls even though copyright has expired in its host country).
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
New season time!

After School Dice Club-I couldn't make it to the actual board games part because I found it too dull. Maybe I'll try it again later?

Ascendance of a Bookworm-Really intrigued by this as a book lover. I didn't find it tedious at all and was engaged the whole time.

Outburst Dreamer Boys-This show is so delightfully over the top that I binged both episodes at once. A lot of it had me laughing and the characters are likable.

Stand My Generic Looking Reverse Harem-I just watched this and aside from Izumi (the MC) I can't recall a single characters name. I just remember them as "This VA plays that one". It's most likely a futile hope that Izumi gets more personality. I'll stick with it for the time being.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Chidori RSC? Why the heck did they do this with the title?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
After seeing episode 2 of Africa Salaryman this show absolutely needs to be on weekly reviews. While the show isnt perfect it encapsulates Japanese societal tropes really really well with using animals in place of people. I was laughing pretty much the rest of the episode once mr turtle got introduced
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
So does anyone know if Babylon starting with 3 episodes mean no more eps for two more weeks? It was scheduled to run on Sundays, but it has been 24 hours and I don't see an episode 4 yet. I tried to check around and I don't see any mention of what the early schedule will be like, one way or the other. If I remember right, other shows that have started with ep dumps have done that as well. Anybody know?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17