• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Criterion Offers Godzilla: The Showa Era Films Collection in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 am Reply with quote
A BD release of King Kong versus Godzilla of the original Japanese release that's subtitled that won't cost me, hopefully, $60 by itself? Good.

This release gives me questions though, in fact it gives me worries as I have the Criterion Godzilla/Gojira release and that was 2 BDs. Even shortening that to one, that would be two movies per disc for the rest. There would be no alternate cuts and alternate cuts exist up to Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster and the final movie of Terror of Godzilla/Mechagodzilla/MechaGodzilla's Counter Attack.... yes, that one had three.

Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla versus Megalon on Criterion BD... I heard about it but I thought it was a joke. I have to get it for King Kong versus Godzilla... and Godzilla versus MechaGodzilla which has been OOP for awhile now... but I still find it questionable.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Any word on whether these will stream on The Criterion Channel? It carries a lot of Japanese cinema, though sadly no anime that I've seen.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Some weird art, and I'm kind of sad that most of the original dubs were replaced with the crappier versions, but its still cool to finally get long out of print titles like Son of Godzilla and G vs MechaGodzilla on blu ray. Definitely a day one purchase for me!
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Any word on whether these will stream on The Criterion Channel? It carries a lot of Japanese cinema, though sadly no anime that I've seen.

A quicky check shows these, I don't know if they're the ones announced for the BD:
( subject to change at any time, I imagine )

All Monsters Attack 1969
Godzilla, 1954 and 1956 ( American ) versions
Godzilla Raids again 1955
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 1974
Godzilla vs Megalon 1973

Quite a few others besides from a brief check.
From the link films.criterionchannel.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1