• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RetroWinnipeg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
Excellent coverage from CBC News tonight, probably the only North American newscast that went in-depth on this subject.

https://youtu.be/DPgDQr-j9dI
icelava

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Why would anyone burn down an animation studio? That´s the part that gets me.
We unfortunately live a world with plenty of extremists clinging onto all sorts of ideals. If there are people believing it to be holy and righteous to blow themselves to pieces along with a crowd of unsuspecting bystanders, or pack an entire armoury of guns and ammo to mow down school children, this incident is actually quite probable.

What I'd like to learn is if the building/company had, and practised, fire drills on a regular basis.
Jacut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:44 am Reply with quote
Romanov wrote:
This is too much for fire safety planning to work as we hoped. They may be prepared for random fire accidents, but in this peaceful country, no one would expect a planned attack by an insane man directing at people's lives.

We should also focus on mental health issues. It is clear that man has lost the ability to reason. In this country people grow up in schools under intense bullying, go to work painfully long hours and are expected to devote their entire lives for their company in an office room. Seeing high suicide rates and high profile killings are proof of how Japan lacks focus on mental illnesses. I have been working in a Japanese company before, and now I am so glad to stay away from the Japanese work culture. It is the one and only reason which keeps me away from Japan.

Thank you for posting this comment. As we have both worked and lived in Japan for quite some time I guess (I still live there actually, but maybe not for long), it is easy for us to understand why and how somebody exposed to this culture from a young age could do this kind of thing, but it may be very difficult for people not living here to understand it. Mental health issues - as well as sleep-deprivation, bullying, stress, overwork, lack of intimacy etc..., all factors that aggravate mental issues - are very strong concerns to me as I observe Japanese people and their society every day, but as we both know, Japan always tends to put problems under the rug until it is too late. The man responsible for the fire will be prosecuted and get the death penalty, but it will be deemed as a case of another crazy person killing people senselessly, and the Japanese public/Government/society will never take the first step of realizing that Japan's school and work cultures are extremely deficient and lead to the rejection by the system of anybody that is slightly different from the norm and insane pressure for those inside the system. From my point of view, Japan needs to change and improve as a country - like every society and people need to improve and develop, but unfortunately, I don't sense any will by Japanese people to do that, only resignation at best. That is why, like you, I stay the furthest away from Japanese companies (the latest company I worked for in Japan was an international company with a mainly international management style) and why I am actively seeking a way out at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
Yes, ANN's staff are aware of controversial comments by a certain director and no, we have absolutely no plans on giving that any press whatsoever.

Also, please stop commenting with rumors of who is safe, injured, or who has died. As I stated at the beginning of this thread, please link to credible sources only (and most commentors have been doing that, thank you very much). We want to give authorities time to notify next of kin, and are waiting for either the police or KyoAni to officially give a statement regarding who has died.

Last edited by Crystalyn on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Romanov wrote:
This is too much for fire safety planning to work as we hoped. They may be prepared for random fire accidents, but in this peaceful country, no one would expect a planned attack by an insane man directing at people's lives.

We should also focus on mental health issues. It is clear that man has lost the ability to reason. In this country people grow up in schools under intense bullying, go to work painfully long hours and are expected to devote their entire lives for their company in an office room. Seeing high suicide rates and high profile killings are proof of how Japan lacks focus on mental illnesses. I have been working in a Japanese company before, and now I am so glad to stay away from the Japanese work culture. It is the one and only reason which keeps me away from Japan.

Thank you for posting this comment. As we have both worked and lived in Japan for quite some time I guess (I still live there actually, but maybe not for long), it is easy for us to understand why and how somebody exposed to this culture from a young age could do this kind of thing, but it may be very difficult for people not living here to understand it. Mental health issues - as well as sleep-deprivation, bullying, stress, overwork, lack of intimacy etc..., all factors that aggravate mental issues - are very strong concerns to me as I observe Japanese people and their society every day, but as we both know, Japan always tends to put problems under the rug until it is too late. The man responsible for the fire will be prosecuted and get the death penalty, but it will be deemed as a case of another crazy person killing people senselessly, and the Japanese public/Government/society will never take the first step of realizing that Japan's school and work cultures are extremely deficient and lead to the rejection by the system of anybody that is slightly different from the norm and insane pressure for those inside the system. From my point of view, Japan needs to change and improve as a country - like every society and people need to improve and develop, but unfortunately, I don't sense any will by Japanese people to do that, only resignation at best. That is why, like you, I stay the furthest away from Japanese companies (the latest company I worked for in Japan was an international company with a mainly international management style) and why I am actively seeking a way out at the moment.

This is true, and it's also true that a lot of people get into anime expecting that to be their salvation, and then it turns out that it isn't...

(Which obviously doesn't make it okay to use physical violence, because neither does anything else. And that obviously had nothing to do with the actual animators. The people who did the novel contest probably work in the offices in Tokyo, not in Kyoto at all.)

But I hope people don't take this out on other people who had problems with the novel contest thing... I hope people don't start going, "yes, the anime industry is all sunshine and rainbows, and never unfair, and if you don't think so, then you're as bad as that arsonist!" But intense emotions lead people down those paths...

.... also, there are also probably artists who lost their physical ability to draw... that's a fate way worse than death...

The local government's buildings/fire safety/whatever government office is (or should have been) in charge of inspecting buildings? Whoever's in charge there should also go to prison over this. I don't even want to say "they should at least resign" because a resignation is not enough.

The actual culprit is out of this - even one murder is enough for the death penalty, so that's that for him. Death is death. You can't die 33 times. Charge him with five murders, and the buildings department with negligence for 28.

But they'll probably be covered up by politics, and get away with it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
According to this NHK World report it seems the baka that did this was a bit of a nut bar with a previous criminal record.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190719_28/
Sentai Filmworks Director John Ledford was just on NHK's "Newsroom Tokyo" stating all collected proceeds from his online fundraising will be "100% distributed to the victims". he went on to say "every anime fan round the world are shocked and sadened by this tragic event". He was also showing emotional upsettment himself during the interview as well. Newsroom Tokyo is available for repeat streaming shortly after live broadcast at NHK World's website.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
'your name.' director vows not to flinch after arson at Kyoto studio

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190719/p2g/00m/0et/058000c
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
The death toll went up to 34 now, someone died from his injuries at the hospital today.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit late to the news. Regarding KyoAni, like many people, yea, I've watched their works. I've felt them. Most recently, it was Violet Evergarden, which inspired me on the importance of letter writing and the transferring of feeling through them.

With that, I give my thanks to KyoAni for creating works of inspiration. They'll recover from this and move on.

As for the victims, they died doing what they loved to do.

As for the attacker, I hope he gets the death penalty. There is no excuse for what he did.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
icelava wrote:

What I'd like to learn is if the building/company had, and practised, fire drills on a regular basis.

Even if they had they are in no way an adequate comparison to something like this. You can prepare and run drill all you like but until you are actual caught in something like this those drills mean nothing. You can do them and hope for the best, but ultimately reality is much harsher and things don't go as planned.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
People seem to forget that this was an intentional attack and not some random fire breaking out. No fire safety regulation can prepare you for intelligent fire spreading to the rescue path first and sprinklers do nothing against the extremely hot gas fire.
The guy planned this and aimed at the escape routes first, nothing can help against something like this.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
As for the attacker, I hope he gets the death penalty. There is no excuse for what he did.

He'll get it. A first degree murderer in Japan gets hung.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

and what makes you think the death penalty is the right choice here? if you ask me, that is too easy. he should live the rest of his life struggling in a miserable jail cell. you would be doing him a favour otherwise.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Even without arson, Kyoto Animation building itself was already a death trap.

According to Yahoo Japan report, 19 people were found dead at stairway that leads roof as there was no escape from smoke. Also open spiral stairway and lack of inner walls helped spreading the fire faster to other floors. Building had alarm and fire extinguishers, but not legally required to have sprinklers or fire exits.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190719-00010012-fnnprimev-soci

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190719-00000034-mai-soci
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
RetroWinnipeg wrote:
Excellent coverage from CBC News tonight, probably the only North American newscast that went in-depth on this subject.

https://youtu.be/DPgDQr-j9dI

The rest of the outlets are too busy spinning this to fit a narrative and claiming this as a "victory" against otaku and anime avatars. Scumbags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11