• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: French Art School Gobelins Partners With Netflix to Promote Diversity in Japanese Animatio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nacirema

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
gacha wrote:
>The France-based Gobelins School of Visual Arts announced a partnership with Netflix on June 12 to promote diversity and equal opportunity within animation.

This sentence makes no sense whatsoever. It's like promoting diversity and equal opportunity in the russian ballet. You want to create animation? Go and create french animation. Or assimilate and go through the same hardships as japanese if you want to get into japanese animation for some reason. Why in the world should japanese animation industry cater to random french people just because they want an easy life and feel good about themselves? You want to promote equality? Go and help japanese women to get into the industry.

It the Japanese industry people who wanted this. Due to demographics, economics, cultural reasons, the industry need workers from outside Japan and they also need consumers from outside Japan. Japan has a extremely low birth rate, a shortage of workers, and anime industry in particular is a rough work environment. For decades Japan has relied on outsourcing to other countries like South Korea, China, Vietnam, etc. Also, LeSean Thomas did a video series about this called Seoul Sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGqAanK0FI

Speaking of LeSean Thomas, there is already non-Japanese people involved in the anime industry for some time. LeSean Thomas is one, Henry Thurlow, Thomas Romain, Michael Arias, etc. are examples of other non-Japanese people involved in the industry. The Japanese staff want them in the industry because there is a shortage of animators. There is even legislation to get more foreign animators.

Another thing is the industry is changing. With declining BDs sales, the industry need additional sources of income. That why you seeing cross-productions being produced and a lot of attention on the Chinese and Western markets. They need the foreign markets to survive and they trying to get people who are familiar with those tastes. That why you seeing productions like Cannon Busters being made.

Anyways, you need to do your own research. Look up the names I mention, read industry articles, actually think about the economics that is actually going on.
gacha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Anyways, you need to do your own research. Look up the names I mention, read industry articles, actually think about the economics that is actually going on.
You are confusing apples with oranges, we are talking about how needlessly political and honestly useless Netflix policy is, basically a dust in the eyes as was partly discussed in the deleted comment. Even russian ballet at times hires foreign dancers but it would be quite insulting to pose it as a program to "promote diversity and equal opportunity within russian ballet". On the other hand, I mostly agree with your a bit overblown but still fairly obvious global assessment of the situation in the industry and have never tried to dispute it.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Oh course I promote diversity but Japan is over 99% homogeneous, and I imagine the anime industry mirrors that, but diversity is to promote the talents of those ethnic backgrounds that may have been marginalized however I dont think the anime industry needs that. People have liked Japanese animation because it is unique due to its culture, sub cultures, isolation, and experiences. I have fallen out nearly all US animation because I see it as a dying art with its lack of quality in engaging stories, limited number, and almost no visuals to impress me, AKA sakuga. I see that adding more people to that industry my meddle in it to make anime far from what it is.

I don't think that anime studios should hire non-japanese people just because they're not Japanese, and I do agree that animation in the US is in a really not-good place, but I think that this situation could be rescued if there was english-language pedagogy for teaching 'sakuga-style' techniques, and if this existed, more non-japanese people would come into the anime industry but contribute to it essentially as it is, working mostly in that style, since that is likely what they would set out to do in the first place.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
They notice even in Japan

"Artist says anime should be more like Marvel/Disney, can’t because of sexualized, moe content"

Quote:
Keiko Moritsugu doesn’t have the longest anime industry resume, but she can boast of involvement in two of Japan’s biggest animation franchises. While still a student, she worked as a CG artist for the perennially popular Doraemon, and after graduation she joined Game Freak, where she became a conceptual character artist for the animated Pokémon franchise.

“The quality of Disney and Marvel movies get better and better every year, and the reason why is because they work issues that society is grappling with into their scripts. Japanese animation has become unable to do that. The methodology for making anime is ‘As long as we put some sexy stuff in, we can trick otaku into buying it, right?’”

“These days, if you made a movie like Zootopia in Japan, I think people would get all worked up about it online, and say things like ‘Kill the feminists!’ and ‘Wait, this movie was only made to please minorities.’ But there’s nothing wrong with that happening. That shows that a movie has social relevance.”
milkyy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
France has been dealing with diversity pretty well, what with their massive spike in crime rates such as murder, rape, shootings, stabbings, and more violent crime. Just look at their statistics. They can work on their diversity over in France. And I watched the links from those "Goblin" students- the art is highly unappealing, the story was "ok", the animation seemed uninspired. I always get the sense from those sorts of things that they were inspired by Ghibli, but have absolutely no way of actually recreating his (very Japanese) style. Anyway, I digress. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
I think, that they invest in non-Japanese talent to promote the anime industry and earn some money on it. They just develop this genre and appeal to all others, not just anime fans. Japan benefits from a media culture. While this is the fact that Japanese Animations is low paid in Japan, Netflix gets good money for its job on the animation content. As for me, this is a well thought out strategic move. To cut short, you invest a penny today, tomorrow earns on this dollar. Many companies work on this principle. You can see today how ordinary people, businessmen are not offered to earn on alternative investments in various activities and purchases. It's a good example of how to proceed Netflix with Japanese animation and the attraction of labor from the side. On the one hand, they benefit themselves, on the other hand, promote and develop a certain direction and take it to a new level and appeal to all others, not just anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2