• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's annoying. My sister loved this show and I talked to her about this yesterday, going over one of the comparison screenshots on the web after I had read this thread. Needless to say we were both pretty disappointed with the changes in art at the very least (especially Claes, as others have noted).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Does anyone know if this is broadcast in HD? NM, answered my own question woo hoo!!!!! I can't wait to see what this looks like. The only fansub out now is in "Crap/S D" so i'll be passing on it until something better is out.
Man, since when was standard-definiition "crap"? Just because it's not as good as something else, it doesn't mean it's bad. At some point in time 640x480 (or 704x400 WS) was a pipe dream for downloaded anime, and now it's "crap"? Besides, the HD raws are upscales anyway.

Anyway, at least a competently-done release came out (and no, the hardsubs and lack of karaoke effects don't make it "incompetent"), and I have to say I wasn't impressed. If it were an independent entity, I might view it as average to mediocre, but the comparisons to the great first season just make Teatrino look bad. I can accept the cuter designs as being closer to the manga, but the lesser-quality music and animation made this feel like "just another series," instead of something noteworthy like season 1. Still, I'll buy this if Funimation releases it, especially since they'll be able to have the same voice cast return.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
yes i agree, the 1st episode was an indication of a let-down for me. The characters seemed more loli-like...with alot more spunk to it, unlike the first series, that is to say, brings forth a completely new side of GSG. Although the art & animation this time around seems to be in par with the manga much than it was before, which is not a bad thing, will show a new side for season 2, but for the adoring fans of season 1, it will be somewhat of a let-down as it was for me.

Mainly I was disappointed in the new cast of characters and vocal work done by the girls. But, once again, referencing back to the original manga, it may seem more reluctant for the 2nd season to air in this sort of fashion. As for the opening & ending, which was the only thing I truly enjoyed, was very new... to put in real life pictures of somewhere in europe? (which gave me a more subtle sense for the whole series and how it will present itself.) As for all of you GSG season 1 fans, hang in there, we cant base anything off quite so only after the 1st episode.

Only one thing is for certain, it follows the manga more thoroughly in the art and plot tenses.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
yea i did like the opening, new way to do it.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
theeonegook89 wrote:
As for all of you GSG season 1 fans, hang in there, we can't base anything off quite so only after the 1st episode.

I don't know, stuff like the artwork and animation you usually can judge based off the first episode. Because that's usually as good as it gets, bar a special finale, or suchlike.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear all this. I've heard great things about the first season and look forward to it but still haven't watched it yet. My question is, barring cheap animation(I doubt anyone likes "bad" animation), is the move in character design more liked in Japan? Looking at the anime schedule recently, you can hardly blame the studio for changing the look. Any foreign market's demographic is obviously put on the back burner to whatever is going crazy in Japan.

And two:
Ramadahl wrote:
I don't know, stuff like the artwork and animation you usually can judge based off the first episode. Because that's usually as good as it gets, bar a special finale, or suchlike.

Exactly. You'd think the first episode in a lot of cases would have better animation even than following episodes to hook you in. I'd say it's a lot more common for animation to get worse not better, so yeah, judging those aspects off the first episode is pretty fair.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, it seems not all studios have budgets like that of Madhouse. Right now, I'm just happy as hell to see more of my favorite manga animated though. So far as I've noted the only change I feel that was of enough significance to lessen my enjoyment was the music composer.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I am joining the crowd when it comes to disappointment over the design. It isn't bad, per say, but the first season was just amazing. The music hasn't bothered me much yet, I actually am really fond of the new OP because I think the style of it is really great (especially having symbols represent the characters, like Claes' glasses and Angelica's dog).

I'm more interested in the story than anything else, so that's what I'll really be judging by. I haven't read beyond vol 2 of the manga, so I don't really know what's coming next (though I expect to read more of the manga soon, because it's really great). I also am glad that Rico's cutesyness is from the manga, because I was a bit sceptical about that.

I also agree that the first fansub out there is horrible. The colour for the font makes it hard to read, especially for me since I don't usually sit right in front of the computer while watching.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Checked out the episode 2 raw. Seems pretty faithful to the manga introduction to the arc. There's still a heavy reliance on panning still shots to do scenes, but the episode isn't all that action-oriented, so it may or may not bother most. I think it was most tolerable because I didn't have to deal with the bastardization of the main cast's personalities, because they're barely even in it.

Average, I guess.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Twilight_Alchemist wrote:
Even so, I'm already not feeling very optimistic. So far Il Teatrino gets a 3/10. And considering Gunslinger Girl is in my top five anime... that really saddens me.

Being the kind of person I am, I would suggest that you keep it in perspective. Simply because the new show is inferior in your mind to the original (which I would personally give a 94/100) doesn't make it a "bad" show, and 3/10 really isn't fair. I think a "fair" rating right now is somewhere between a 50-80/100. It's not the same show as the original to be sure, but it's not abominable or unwatchable either. The one thing I like is that the girls are still absolutely savage with the terrorists Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
I caved and watched the fansub.Sure the quality has been knocked down a bit and the animations a little slower,but overall I enjoyed it.I just finished up the third PS2 game,the new season seems to capture the feel.The intro was a little strange,but it's hard to follow the great "Light before we land"intro from the first season.I am grateful for more Gunslinger Girl,despite the lower frames of animation.I'm looking forward to longer gunfights..spoiler[When Henrietta brought the FN P90,I was like "YES!"bringing the old guns back!Expecting the heavy gunfire from the first season,I was let down.Bigtime.I have made better looking gunfire in After Effects.I was also happy with the design of Triela and her Bernelli with bayonet combo,and cheered when she whipped the manhole cover up,then off.Though I'm kinda pissed when they cut away from any gore. Triela blasted that guy with the knife,square in the chest and all we get is some cheesy blood splatter!I thought Rico's gunplay was pretty cool even though she looked more shota than loli.]This is one of the only MOE style animes that I can stand.I am a huge fan of Gunslinger Girl and refuse to let something feeble,like graphics and art style,detour me from the series.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that the issues others are reporting hasn't ended with the art or animation, but also the music and voice acting. Once you get to that point and are just watching it for pure story, you'd be better off reading a book.

I am kind of wanting to watch this, but afraid to be as disappointed as other people have made this sound. My sister did watch some on youtube and was not too happy with it. She actually pointed out to me that it was the same group that made Mushi-Shi (as I don't keep up with the companies that much). She has been avoiding watching that since she doesn't like the character design much, obviously this didn't help there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Xanas wrote:
This is sad to hear, I was going to avoid watching a fansub of this series but with this I think the only way to know if I"m going to like it enough to buy is if I preview it Sad
That must have been a hard choice for you.

Not really, I didn't make the decision on moral grounds but on the grounds that I liked the dub of the original and tend to try to stick to dubs for shows whenever I can do so. The reason I want to see a fansub now is reports indicate that I may not enjoy the show enough to buy it. Apparently you believe I should buy it regardless of reviews or anything else? If I were to go entirely based on reviews at this point I wouldn't be buying it at all. What fansubs are doing here is actually giving the show a chance it would not otherwise have. But please, go ahead and do what you do best by continuing to think of fansubs as some abhorrent evil.
When you could wait until it is released, and then at least rent it for what? $1.99? Without bending to your impatience like a web in a slight draught, and still get the same result? Please spare me the justification faussé. I'm not convinced. Just seeing that still was enough for me.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright, this isn't a fansub debate so let's not take it there. Keep the discussion on Gunslinger Girl and leave the ethics battles for the next sadly inevitable fansub thread that will undoubtedly infect the boards down the line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
When you could wait until it is released, and then at least rent it for what? $1.99? Without bending to your impatience like a web in a slight draught, and still get the same result? Please spare me the justification faussé. I'm not convinced. Just seeing that still was enough for me.

No, $3.99, and $3.99 is 1/4-1/5 the cost of a dvd so if I were to do that for everything I'd end buying 1-2 less dvds, which wouldn't get the anime industry anymore money. You can keep your anti-fansub stance to yourself. I've explained my position before as you have yours, and you were simply unable to explain to me how it's worse for me to do it my way. That's the end of my words on the fansub subject here.

EDIT: I started this post before Keonyn's was submitted.

Last edited by Xanas on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9