• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic The Hedgehog Film's Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even crazy about Detective Pikachu, I just saw the second trailer and it was dreadful and unfunny. Had it been handled right like Who Framed Roger Rabbit it might have been good but I'm going to pass on it, like I will on this Sonic film.

How sad is it that people will likely praise Jim Carrey's performance over the lead character Sonic who is the title character?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a plot point in the movie is him getting his gloves
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see all of the people complaining about this while they buy their tickets.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Why can't stuff just take place in the character's own world????

It is cheaper to make a live action movie with a few CGI characters and the occasional action scene than to make a Hollywood level CGI movie. Personally I would have vastly preferred a low budget CGI movie but the average person compares CGI movies to what is made by Pixar so there is a reason for these Alvin and the Chipmunks type movies. As long as the movie is based on a popular character that the parents remember than it can usually turn a profit. What I find most baffling is why the studio went with a furry character design for Sonic which is even more noticeable in the trailer.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you can tell even SEGA wasn't pleased all with how the movie turned out. They should have told Paramount to drop SEGA's logo from the project if that's the case. If this movie flops, it's all on Paramount Pictures. I'm sure they were the ones that wanted Sonic to look like the abomination portrayed in this trailer.

The question is, how does a Hollywood studio run an established Japanese IP? How does Warner Bros. do such a good job with Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, and Walt Disney Studios/20th Century Fox do such a good job with Alita: Battle Angel, while other studios don't? It's because the people behind the movies (in Pokémon's case, Rob Letterman, and in Alita's case, James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez) actually have a passion for the property.

That's not the case with Paramount, this movie looks like something done by executives driven by the bottom line for Viacom.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Alita had a silly budget though for what it was and will be considered a d
flop because of it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
flop because of it.

But, it did much better with critics than a previous attempt by Fox to adapt an anime into a live-action movie, Dragonball: Evolution.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Boy, and I thought the stills looked bad! Seeing that thing move and speak and look heavily green-screened into that car seat was just.... unsettling to me.

At least Jim Carrey looks like he's having fun, he'll almost certainly be the ever so slim potential for a saving grace for this movie.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Now, my big question out of this WTH movie adaptation is, will Sonic say "S**t" like he did in Sonic X that one time (in the Japanese version)? Otherwise I don't care whatsoever, I'm pretty sure it will be terrible. I'll probably watch it for a laugh once.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
flop because of it.

I think you might want to recheck it's box office numbers. It was by no means a huge success, but it was certainly not a flop like the critics panned it out to be. Comparing Alita to this btw is just insulting. That's like comparing a fine properly seared steak to a McDouble that's been sitting out since 10am and it's not 9:37pm and you forgot to haul anything out for dinner and you're broke.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
But, it did much better with critics than a previous attempt by Fox to adapt an anime into a live-action movie, Dragonball: Evolution.

Critics don't pay the bills, the general audience does. Critics can praise a movie as much as they want, but if nobody goes to see it, it's still a failure.

Detective Pikachu isn't even out yet, so I don't see you're praising it. It looks pretty bad as well to me. Some of the Pokemon look just as bad as Sonic does.

The issue is America's obsession with live-action. They think a live-action adaption is better than an animated adaption because cartoons are not taken seriously here. So you'll never see a huge, big budget animated adaption of a work like Japan does.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to Fox for having the balls to adapt Sonic esp under today's standards. I mean, most people are okay having live-action remake of cartoon masterpieces i.e Beauty and the Beast, then Jungle Book, then the upcoming Aladdin and Lion King, but they cringe at foreign-made titles such as Alita, Pokemon and this. This double-standard thingie... it's an ugly thing.

Still, I have to say this Sonic trailer looks kinda bad. I'd probably just sit this out and wait for digital rip on Amazon. Jim Carrey ftw, though. He really looks good being goofy.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Say what you want about Detective Pikachu's CG creatures, at least none of them look like men in bad costumes.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
I think my biggest issue is that it's the typical "Cartoon/Game character somehow ends up in the real world and has to get snuck around by random human characters that no one really cares about, but somehow the movie will try to make there be some story arc for them" type story.

Why can't stuff just take place in the character's own world????

Yeah, this thing about cartoons being realistic in a real world setting got old really quick. I feel sorry for Ben Schwartz, he was the perfect candidate to voice Sonic in my opinion. But, to think he has to get his start in this potential trainwreck doesn't look like a good sign.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a really bad feeling this is going to be a massive flop for Paramount.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
This looks like an April Fool's joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4