• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Some Issues Reported with 4 January 8 Bandai Ent. DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARl0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
My Gundam SEED Destiny vol. 12 disk is one of the messed up copies. My 2 Macs, my PC, my Toshiba DVD player, and my Xbox 360 won't even recognize the disk at all. My ps3 and ps2 both play the disk fine until it gets to the final episode (ep. 50). After being rather upset about being cut off at the very very last episode, I was finally able to get that last episode to play on my Dad's new stand alone Sony BluRay player that he got for Christmas. I'm just so glad that I got closure on the series, so the wait for a replacement disk won't be so bad.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I've had one problem or another with all four of my LE Haruhi sets, ranging from severe to mild, missing items included in this list of problems.

I was especially mad because each of these cost around $50, not to mention it was Haruhi (you'd think they'd pay more attention to this... particular a product).

2 exchanges, missing items, problems with the DVDs, weird coffee stains and glue-like gunks on the bottom of DVDs (even on the replacements), skipping DVDs, items that look like they were handled at Wal-Mart before being packaged (the CDs in this case), and other little bits.

I've had other purchases, anime or not, looking like crap out of the box, but Bandai Ent. seems to have the worst track record for me.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
This isn't counting the .hack//LOT DVD that wouldn't play on certain model DVD players that they wouldn't fix and replace.

Oh yes, I just love this one. I emailed their customer service after picking up volume 1 about it.. and they said they were looking into it... a month or so later, I forwarded my initial question and their response back, asking how it was going/what their findings were and was told that they had to get it tested by a third party, which takes time and they would get back in touch with me later... so a few years later, they still haven't replied. Anime hyper Rolling Eyes

Color me totally unimpressed. I'm on edge about any Bandai title I want to pick up since in my point of view, they have decided my DVD player (an Apex) is essentially not worth supporting.
cecilbdemented

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:
My Gundam SEED Destiny vol. 12 disk is one of the messed up copies. My 2 Macs, my PC, my Toshiba DVD player, and my Xbox 360 won't even recognize the disk at all. My ps3 and ps2 both play the disk fine until it gets to the final episode (ep. 50). After being rather upset about being cut off at the very very last episode, I was finally able to get that last episode to play on my Dad's new stand alone Sony BluRay player that he got for Christmas. I'm just so glad that I got closure on the series, so the wait for a replacement disk won't be so bad.
My Gundam Seed Destiny Vol. 10 was like that: my 360 would just keep making the whirring "reading disc" sound and do nothing. I was able to coax my PC (using WMP's DVD player) to slog through most of the disc, but about a quarter into the last episode on the disc, the couldn't go any further. Now here's the worst part: DO NOT USE BANDAI'S SITE TO REPORT A PROBLEM, CALL THEM INSTEAD! I used the customer service form on their site and after SIX WEEKS without a response, I e-mail the guy back and he half-assed apologized because "the site's e-mail system was down." I did get my new disc that worked, but I'm just saying this as a warning to both you and Bandai Entertainment.

Bandai folk, if you're reading this, perform the following actions:

1) Fire your disc mass-producers for gross incompetence in both production and quality control and hire a reputable and referrencable company, and

2) Fix your goddamn site. It's a disgrace. The form e-mail doesn't work, you never update it, it's like you don't care. You DO care, Bandai, don't you?

Again, if it weren't for my crippeling addiction to Gundam, I'd never buy a disc from you comapny again. Hell, I'd start seeding fansub torrents en masse!

The companies actually WONDER why fansubs are so popular...

...but for my honest opinion, take a peek at that Gendo Ikari to your left...yeah: smoldering anger, folks, he's pissed.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
-shakes head- You know, now that I think about it, all of the problems I've ever had with DVDs I've purchased have all been with Bandai discs - the second volume of Arjuna that freezes if I try to skip the ending credits, the inaccessible extra episode on the last volume of Galaxy Angel A (although I recently swapped out the DVD drive in my computer and now I can watch it with no problem), and the crappy encoding on a few of my GitS: SAC 2nd GIG DVDs, where the Tachikomatic Days short just loops around to the beginning of the previous episode and I have to go back to the main menu to get to the next episode. Honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Good thing I haven't ordered My-Otome 4 yet, maybe I'll be able to get one from a second, corrected pressing. It really sucks to hear about all this...it seems like there hadn't been any major disc glitches for a number of months, and then suddenly this happens.
assoluto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
i also like to point out besides those dvds listed on the article, i think the Gundam Seed Collection 1 box set is also having some defective issues. i am on my 3rd copy and it seems to have the same problem as my GSD dvd. it refuses to play on my 360 hddvd drive and on my ps3, it cant seem to find the chapter between ep 5 and 6. however, after going back to the main menu and then starting from ep 6, there were no problems. my regular toshiba dvd stand alone player also refuses to play GSD dvd and any GS box 1 dvds.
VLOXY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The only problems I have had with the Eureka Seven series is Volume Disc 8 did not play music in the episode choice menu like the other discs, and the packaging for Volume Disc 10 said the disc contained a textless opening but it does not. That is not a problem though as of yet because that opening should be on disc 11 or 12 since there is only one opening and one closing remaining.

I have purchased all of my discs on the day of release at Best Buy.
Riza|Hawkeye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
i have decided to avoid ALL bandai releases.
im now getting dvds from UK or Australia

me being from UK doesnt make it as bad i guess.

Bandai have gone downhill very fast over the past few years... like a snowball rolling down a snow hill...

i have a sneaking feeling that Bandai WILL go the way of Geneon later this year.....
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
That would be bad if true. I'm also worried for Suncoast/Sam Goody/FYE retail chain stores. They've gone bankrupt before and the ones in my state, supposedly the most profitable in the nation (and apparently doing very well simply by real-life observation)...are suddenly doing VERY badly. Their holiday sales seemed to have bombed. One store just went out of business during Christmas. And another store hardly sold ANY anime these past 2 months (I attribute this to lackluster sale offerings this past holiday season as well as Geneon going out of business, the timing of which probably hit them just in December). This particular Sam Goody currently looks like a warehouse, not a store. There are brown boxes of unopened DVDs stacked to the ceiling along the entire rear wall of the store, and open boxes of anime DVDs strewn all over the floor because there is no room on the shelves (because no one bought ANYTHING this past holiday season so all their holiday stock ended up unsold).

In regards to recent Bandai DVDs, I haven't been buying any Bandai except Haruhi, but my Haruhi Vol 4 LE did have a slightly defective main disc that skips on the average DVD player (it can play perfectly though on an exceptionally "good" player).
vbann

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
An update from animecornerstore says that about 50% of GSD 12 are defected. Bandai should of delayed it till the end of the month to avoid these issues. This is the third GSD dvd with problems(and is it just me or are all the defective ones the special editions with the shirts).

Bandai needs help! Their website is rarely updated,They dont reply to emails, too many dvd errors. The last Eureka special ed. had a missing insert for the box. Im starting to wonder if I should hold out on the last(or second to last for Final Plus)DVD for GSD because I dont want to go through the same crap as vol.6. I LITTERALLY bought and returned every copy at my best buy when it was first released. I sure hope luck is on my side.
cecilbdemented

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
What the hell? The "consumer problem" site that TRSI says Bandai wants us to go to is the same one that, just a few months ago (knowing how often Bandai updates the website, that means it isn't fixed yet) I was told was "broken" and the reason for the delay in my response to my quest for a working copy of GSD 10! I swear that if this happens again...well, I guess I'll pull an U.N. on them (get very angry and write them a letter detailing how angry I am with them). Damn my Gundam addiction and the fact that they're my only source for R1 DVD's.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
cecilbdemented wrote:
Isn't Bandai an no-bid company, just the front for Bandai series...es in America? That's why I love the free market system: if a company makes an inferior product, the company doesn't last (RIP Geneon).

I only had problems with one Geneon disc (the last Burn Up Scramble) that I recall. Overall, their quality was pretty good or I was pretty lucky.
I had to return the Escaflowne movie & the series box(the expensive one way back-with the mech)
I know Manga had problems with the GitS dvds
I used to have major issues with Funi & the DBZ dvds-it seemed I was always returning them for freezing. YuGiOh also was a pain about freezing. I was a bit perturbed to get the 2 disc FMA movie with only 1 disc.
CPM also was good for freezing (lodoss)
I went thru at least 2 sets each to get all 4 Zenki sets from MediaBlasters. I went thru about 3 of the uncut Tekkaman Blades to get a working copy
I finally gave up on One Piece 6 from Viz & I had to exchange 3 or 4 others which is just sad when it's dub-only. I seem to recall a few issues with InuYasha dvds also.
I got a used Serial Experiments Lain which wouldn't play so I returned it to GameStop.

They just about all seem to have issues. However, the companies usually return them, no problem. I don't really see it as a reason not to buy the discs
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
My copy of Flag vol. 2 could not be read by either of 2 players tried and minor surgery had to be performed to remove it. I filled out their complaint form as suggested and await their response. If any.
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
strange that i never had problems with any of my Bandai DVDs....

only problem i've had was from Funimation DVDs where My Santa had problem playing back on couple of spots for a second then played fine next.....i thought it was dirty disc so i cleaned it and didn't have problem next playback so i just shrugged it off....

i'll just have to remember about the replacements whenever those DVDs arrive in the mail...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6