• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Mysteria Friends is this Winter's Secret Steamy Yuri Romance

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

None of these characters appear elsewhere in the franchise (that I know of), nor does the setting. This can easily be watched as a standalone.

The characters do albeit the circumstances are bit different. Grea debuted in Rage of Bahamut before being shuffled over to Granblue with most of the exclusive-at-the-time RoB cast.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
For me. watching this has been like watching the Aria series, if Akari and co. were replaced by an OP magic princess and her favorite dragon girl. It is a very docile, sweet, easy, series, in an anime landscape that quite frankly is devoid of almost any shows of similar affect, more so due to the fact that it is in a "high fantasy" setting where we normally would only see amped up world-saving stories, or a isekai harem formula.

I think the majority of the reaction to this show comes from, with the Rage of Bahamut name attached, there first being an expectation of the big fantasy adventure, with a more overt and direct romance, or maybe harem, as the alternative expectation. Being neither, its mellow pace, I believe, is throwing folks off. It's like going for a drink of pop, only to realize you got a glass of sparkling water.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:49 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I gave it about one and a half episodes, and even that was a struggle. I feel like this anime must be a real treat for people who are already into this series and its characters, but they held no real appeal for me.

If one of my friends who was hugely into the game(s) is anything to go by, the fans are hating this show even more than non-fans. Laughing

My friend absolutely loathes how this show is handling the characters compared to how they were in the game.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:53 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

If one of my friends who was hugely into the game(s) is anything to go by, the fans are hating this show even more than non-fans. Laughing

My friend absolutely loathes how this show is handling the characters compared to how they were in the game.

I guess with most of the supporting cast being there just for jokes those attached to said characters mustn't be too happy.
I can also picture Anne being more serious and less of a dork.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
All I propose for Cygames is that if they show Anne and Grea kissing on-screen, they can easily dominate all TV anime disc sales of 2019 right off the bat! Laughing
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
marshmallowpie wrote:
I gave it about one and a half episodes, and even that was a struggle. I feel like this anime must be a real treat for people who are already into this series and its characters, but they held no real appeal for me.

As a player of GBF who knows other people who play it too, I have yet to see a fan hating on it. Everyone thinks it's a pretty anime and the characters aren't different from what they are in the game.
It's also praised in Japan, so yeah.
saihamaru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
instead of "12-13 episode ads" or "new player/reader bait" like other anime adaptations out there, this anime is a purer fan-service anime
it's literally just a service for those who are already a fan
and i am one, so i'm happy
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
All I propose for Cygames is that if they show Anne and Grea kissing on-screen, they can easily dominate all TV anime disc sales of 2019 right off the bat! Laughing

I know that many yuri fans have already openly declared this show "romance", but in this case the lack of official confirmation is the factor that sells this show. What is ironic is that this franchise already has a good number of canonical lesbian characters, but nobody gets so much attention from them, as "ambiguous lesbian" Grea and Anna. Thus, this show is just another confirmation of the fact that people don't need yuri itself, but opportunity to find and justify yuri in untagged anime or manga.

@BodaciousSpacePirate,

Piano duet as a homoerotic metaphor is much older than Class S, if I remember correctly, it was also used by Victor Hugo in Graf de Monte Cristo. Marimite only popularized it and added it to the list of popular Japanese homoerotic metaphors.

The main problem is that if Marimite used it as a metaphor for "spiritual love" and intimacy between girls, MF simply uses this metaphor to tease the viewers with at least a theoretical possibility of yuri and thereby sell the show.

Therefore, I don't like such shows, it is just a fanservice simulation of yuri in order to sell it to yuri fans
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
This anime is terrible. The direction is awful, the pace feels abysmally slow (compared to the average slice of life anime), and there's so much empty space in every episode with nothing happening. The yuri is all implications and it feels like the show will remain that way, unfortunately. Freaking Marimite had more actual yuri than this. The characters and art are nice, but the show has no clue how to use them in an entertaining way.

I'm sure the anime were made that way to cater a niche yuri community tho.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
FukuchiChiisaia wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:
This anime is terrible. The direction is awful, the pace feels abysmally slow (compared to the average slice of life anime), and there's so much empty space in every episode with nothing happening. The yuri is all implications and it feels like the show will remain that way, unfortunately. Freaking Marimite had more actual yuri than this. The characters and art are nice, but the show has no clue how to use them in an entertaining way.

I'm sure the anime were made that way to cater a niche yuri community tho.

These two more in the original game were created if not as token yuri girls, so at least yuri bait. Obviously, the anime continues this approach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2