• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem with all the arguments attempting to justify Aniplex's pricing model is that the US is liike the only country where they charge this much for their shows. You look at all the Anime Limited releases of Aniplex shows in places like the UK and the prices for their shows are much more reasonable and in line with the rest of the international industry's standards. If the higher price was really so necessary for Aniplex to put out a high quality set or to prevent reverse importation or whatever argument Aniplex uses, they would have the same consistent pricing model everywhere for their shows but they don't. It's sort of like how Netflix only does the binge watch drop model for their anime shows in the US but has no problem simulcasting in all other English speaking territories.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The biggest problem with all the arguments attempting to justify Aniplex's pricing model is that the US is liike the only country where they charge this much for their shows. You look at all the Anime Limited releases of Aniplex shows in places like the UK and the prices for their shows are much more reasonable and in line with the rest of the international industry's standards. If the higher price was really so necessary for Aniplex to put out a high quality set or to prevent reverse importation or whatever argument Aniplex uses, they would have the same consistent pricing model everywhere for their shows but they don't. It's sort of like how Netflix only does the binge watch drop model for their anime shows in the US but has no problem simulcasting in all other English speaking territories.

The U.S. and the UK are in different Blu-ray regions. The U.S. and Japan are both Region A while the UK is Region B.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

The U.S. and the UK are in different Blu-ray regions. The U.S. and Japan are both Region A while the UK is Region B.
Which ironically creates the problem of American fans buying region free players to import the Anime Limited releases.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I bought the Funimation half season sets for $30 each so I got the series for like $60 and i'm satisfied with my copy. But how does the video quality of the Aniplex release compare to the Funimation release? I've never been all that bothered by the comedy in Brotherhood because FMA at it's core is a shonen action series aimed at a young teenage audience and whacky hijinks are a staple of the genre. But I do think the original series was stronger in regard to focusing more heavily on the human drama aspect. So if you were put off by the humor in Brotherhood, you might enjoy the original anime more which has a more somber tone overall. But I think Brotherhood is still a good mix of exciting action, fantasy world building, and the philosophical themes still have a lot of complexity to it that puts Brotherhood above your average anime to me that more than make up for any of it's short comings. I also love the original characters that didn't make it into the first anime like Ling, Mei, and Olivier Armstrong. Brotherhood is still my go to example of how to properly do an anime reboot that's faithful to the manga but doesn't lose it's emotional substance and is a high quality production.

The Aniplex set has better video quality. The bitrate varies wildly on the Funimation release-this wouldn’t be such an issue If they decent people doing a good encode but Funimation usually doesn’t. Lines are sharper and there isn’t any banding present unlike the Funimation release. It looks better.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

If you are too poor to afford a box-set, the anime is available for free online. These sets are for collectors, people who want to own a nice physical boxset that could be compared to the Japanese edition but still want a dub or subtitles on it. Funimation's releases are never worth buying because of how gaudy and low-quality they are for collectors.
The notion that physical media of anime releases should only be for higher class collectors is what encourages this kind of price gouging to begin with and that Brotherhood's streaming expired once is a reminder that anime streaming doesn't last forever. I just don't understand this mindset of creating this artificial "collector's" rarity status for cartoon shows, particularly ones that have been out on the market for the past ten years at actual reasonable prices. It's not like FMA is a Rolex watch or something.

Tell that to Funimation who are selling $500 Cowboy Bebop blu-ray boxset that comes with LP disc and some other stuffs. And Cowboy Bebop is 12 years older than FMA: Brotherhood.

With advent of streaming, most people are realizing that buying disc is financial waste since they're going to watch the anime once and forget about it. Personally I watched FMA: Brotherhood once on streaming and forgot all about about it. I never even buy the Funimation edition when it was under $50. A real dedicated fan would have snatched up Funimation edition as soon as possible regardless of price, sale or not. But No. Assuming that whiners are impulsive shoppers who only care about filling their shelves with junks, they postponed til the last minute and then the license expired for good and it came back as high priced collector's edition. What a laugh.

Collector's market is already slowly creeping into the US. Companies left and right are starting to produce their own collector's edition again with all kinds of stuffs. Just look at recent release of Legend of Galactic Heroes Premium Boxset by domestic publisher Sentai.

I used to buy anime discs, but thanks to legal streaming sites, I pretty much stopped buying most anime discs except ones dear to my heart. Right now, I'm starting to get rid of anime DVD's which I stopped caring about. Also I'm glad that I skipped buying DVD's of the anime popular in 2000's and a lot of them are unwatchable junks as I checked them out on various streaming sites.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
As already pointed out before in this thread, the difference between Funimation and Aniplex is that Funimation usually puts out a cheaper standard edition for average fans who just want to own the show and don't care about the bells and whistles and Aniplex does not. So while Funimation may put out a special edition boxset for Cowboy Bebop, they also put out a standard edition at an average price that typical fans can afford. Aniplex rarely puts out a cheaper edition and even the standard editions they do put out tend to still be very pricey compared to the rest of the market. And can we please stop with the insults and name calling and judgmentalism on all sides here?

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote
nah, the $500 Bebop LE option definitely did not make the preorder minimum by the deadline.

Last edited by getchman on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

With advent of streaming, most people are realizing that buying disc is financial waste since they're going to watch the anime once and forget about it. Personally I watched FMA: Brotherhood once on streaming and forgot all about about it. I never even buy the Funimation edition when it was under $50. A real dedicated fan would have snatched up Funimation edition as soon as possible regardless of price, sale or not. But No. Assuming that whiners are impulsive shoppers who only care about filling their shelves with junks, they postponed til the last minute and then the license expired for good and it came back as high priced collector's edition. What a laugh.

Collector's market is already slowly creeping into the US. Companies left and right are starting to produce their own collector's edition again with all kinds of stuffs. Just look at recent release of Legend of Galactic Heroes Premium Boxset by domestic publisher Sentai.

Speak for yourself. Some of us rewatch a great deal of anime. The way I see it, if what I'm watching isn't worth a rewatch, then it probably wasn't worth watching in the first place. And no, "true fans" don't just throw money at a given series without reservation, not unless you want to perpetuate the horrific otaku-driven house-of-cards business model that this industry is built on. Or maybe to put it another way, while "true fans" of one series and one series alone might burn a ton of money on said series, fans of anime as a whole spread their money around to a lot of series they love. That means getting the most bang for our buck, and waiting for titles to go on sale so that we can own more of what we love.

And Sentai's LOGH release is the prime example of this ridiculous price-gouging. I love that series to death, and consider it maybe the single most impressive achievement in anime history. I would buy a standard, just-the-disks-please release of it without thinking twice. Yet there is no way in hell I am spending $800, which could net me a decent midrange computer or ultra-high-end video card, on a freaking television series. That's the height of insanity.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Tell that to Funimation who are selling $500 Cowboy Bebop blu-ray boxset that comes with LP disc and some other stuffs. And Cowboy Bebop is 12 years older than FMA: Brotherhood.

That just proves Aniplex isn't the only company that ever does this, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't care about this FMA release specifically, because I can barely get through a new 12-episode series these days, let alone a 60-episde one I already watched. Claims that there's nothing wrong with only offering an expensive collector's edition are kind of missing the point, though. Yes, we know, streaming exists, there used to be a cheaper version, and so on. None of that makes the people upset with this trend magically disappear. Might make more sense to consider why people don't like this arrangement, and why it exists in spite of that.

Well, when it comes to streaming, that's not a reliable solution. FMA has vanished from streaming services before, and it will happen again; licenses are rarely permanent, and the same goes for the services themselves. And that whole market is continually splintering and getting absorbed by large companies (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc.) making it less practical to rely on streaming, a whole other can of arguments we often run into. This all happens as a natural result of the entertainment industry trying to make as much money off of anime fans as possible, so it's unlikely to change. One way around it is disc sets... if affordable ones exist, and increasingly, if a company realizes they can make the most money by only producing super-expensive sets for popular shows, they're going to do that. And whenever people complain, they'll advertise a streaming service owned by the same corporation. Bit of a vicious cycle.

Ultimately, this is just yet another example of capitalism in action, doing things that only make sense in a world where absolutely everything has to be an optimized money factory. Disc sets are kind of an antiquated concept when we have the technology to beam anime directly into your computer, but DRM-free legal downloading is still rare due to fears of illegal file-sharing (at what point did we go from "sharing is caring" to "sharing is a crime?") even though iTunes got rid of those restrictions ages ago and it apparently hasn't been an issue for their profits. So instead we have encrypted region-locked discs and region-locked license-limited streaming. All because the industry has to make money... and yet, most of the animators are still underpaid and overworked. They say you have to suffer for your art, but most of those people are working on someone else's art, and these days it seems even the consumers of art have to suffer. I bet the executives are doing well, though. They usually are.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
I lost interest in Brotherhood when Adult Swim began broadcasting it on TV cause of their endless marathons of the 1st series. That and the early story to Brotherhood was an alternate retelling of the early part of the 1st series.

Most of the early part of Brotherhood is accurate to the manga the only big change is getting rid of the mine chapter which was largely inconsequential.......eventhough some of the characters from that chapter show up later.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

There are cheaper sets available for Cowboy Bebop with the same video quality as the special editions.

Unless Aniplex puts out (significantly) cheaper versions of the FMA: B sets as well, this is a facile comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well, when it comes to streaming, that's not a reliable solution. FMA has vanished from streaming services before, and it will happen again; licenses are rarely permanent, and the same goes for the services themselves. And that whole market is continually splintering and getting absorbed by large companies (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc.) making it less practical to rely on streaming, a whole other can of arguments we often run into. This all happens as a natural result of the entertainment industry trying to make as much money off of anime fans as possible, so it's unlikely to change. One way around it is disc sets... if affordable ones exist, and increasingly, if a company realizes they can make the most money by only producing super-expensive sets for popular shows, they're going to do that. And whenever people complain, they'll advertise a streaming service owned by the same corporation. Bit of a vicious cycle.
This is a very poor understanding of how this works, the Anime industry is not just one company that has decided to sell streaming rights to lots of different companies to maximize profits(how that would work I have no idea).

There are lots of publishers and broadcasters owning all these titles, they may even have a tendency to for a publisher to grab as many titles from a certain studio, Funimation and BONES, they may even as is with the case of Amazon and a certain network(I think it's Tokyo MX) have a deal to stream all their shows. Or the publisher may have been on the committee and therefore has the exclusive rights outside of Japan to the show, Funimation and Dimension W for example.

Then there are the American publishers, first off they need to get these titles to stay in business, Viz is not going to pass up a popular title in favour of Sentai if they can help it, even if that means you can't watch on Hidive. And a publisher is not going to want every title, Funiamtion is only after the big shows mass appeal shows.There is the fact that one streaming service can not stream every new show that comes out, it's OK for illegal sites, they just need to rip the already translated videos and reupload them.
professorwho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Has anyone compared or seen any comparisons of this release to Funi's? I'm genuinely curious if there's any noticeable difference.

Aniplex’s release is way better encoded than FAILimation’s release. The FUNi BD has serious compression issues with a good amount of banding, macroblocking and aliasing, all of which has been reduced on the Aniplex release- which is a 1:1 clone of the Japanese encode. Also, consider the bitrate- FUNi’s massively varies anywhere from 3 mbps all the way to 40 mbps; whereas Aniplex averages 35 to 40 at all times.

penguintruth wrote:
There are cheaper sets available for Cowboy Bebop with the same video quality as the special editions.

Which is garbage quality. FUNi took a beautiful master, degrained it, smeared it, then applied a ton of fake grain on top of that ruined master to hide it. Compare the FUNi BD to the JP, UK/AU, FR, DE and IT BDs (the latter of which, the Italian BD is the best encoded- even more so than the Japanese release)..

With Aniplex, because they use the exact same encode as the Japanese BD bit-for-bit, you know you get quality. With FUNi, you get mediocre (most of their output) to atrocious (Re:Zero, Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass) quality with every release. So there’s no consistency.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Hm. I believe to the contrary. A collector collects as much anime (they're interested in) as possible, and therefore wouldn't spend a lot of money on these exorbitantly priced sets, because it means having less money to buy other anime. That's my collecting philosophy, and I have a pretty large collection.

"Collector's Edition" usually means "money pit".

And you're collecting philosophy obviously applies to everyone else too right? Nobody could possibly think otherwise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Hm. I believe to the contrary. A collector collects as much anime (they're interested in) as possible, and therefore wouldn't spend a lot of money on these exorbitantly priced sets, because it means having less money to buy other anime. That's my collecting philosophy, and I have a pretty large collection.

"Collector's Edition" usually means "money pit".

And you're collecting philosophy obviously applies to everyone else too right? Nobody could possibly think otherwise.

Unless you have a massive amount of money, or are deeply irresponsible with money, I don’t believe constantly buying these prestige releases is very conducive to collecting. At some point you’re just getting them to say you got them. You’re collecting clout, not anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5