• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dub Voice Actor Vic Mignogna Issues Statement: 'Taking Time to Recommit to God, Seeking He

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salieri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Salieri wrote:
Vic is innocent until proven guilty. He has yet to be proven guilty.

In many cases, these allegations are beyond the statute of limitations. Let me ask you, how many women do you believe Bill Cosby has hurt? Is it just the one he's in prison for?

With Bill Cosby, there was proof and evidence, while with Vic, it's just accusations.
I'll believe the accusers when I see proof or evidence.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kevin Spacey hasn't been convicted of anything but I sure as hell wouldn't let him babysit my kids.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Salieri wrote:

With Bill Cosby, there was proof and evidence, while with Vic, it's just accusations.
I'll believe the accusers when I see proof or evidence.

Their accusations are evidence. So are the pictures of him touching teenage girls.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
braket wrote:
just in case people don't catch the nuances of what he's saying here: "counselor" in reference to his post means "Jesus", which basically means he's going to be thinking a whole lot about things he believes he already mostly has the answers to; and he isn't going to be engaging the environment outside of his already-existing bubble, which he's spent the past 40 years pulling around him, for any serious thought on the matter

unless you've spent a lifetime seeing the patterns here it's hard to miss with all the noise in the way but fundamentally nothing he said indicates that he holds himself to a responsible standard of behavior that exists outside of whatever worldviews he had shoved in his head

Agreed. Having spent half my life in a "theology" that is basically synonymous with sexual assault at this point, Vic's words are continuing to ping every canned statement I've seen over the last decade that ~my~ abusive church ministers keep on tap as their "go-to apology" to stave off seriousness of accusations.

It further unsettles me that his statement can be summed up as "I regret that you ~feel~ that way about me".

Pertaining to people defending Vic even now or attacking other VAs on Twitter - as a society, we need to separate the cult of celebrity out of our lives and recognise that it neither makes a person immune to the consequences of their actions, nor does it mean an individual deserves to be harassed because they shared a part of their life publicly. I don't see that level of reasoning or compassion happening here.

It's done with, case closed, Funimation investigated and have found him to be in conflict with the conduct they expect of an employee. With that in mind, consider what sort of behavior you are defending if you're still giving him a pass. Are you still willing to "die on that hill" with him?

What scares me the most is the people that are harassing Monica & others over this - what the heck sort of darkness do they have in their life that they're wielding Vic's Funimation-confirmed-inappropriate behavior as a knife against her on social media? What is it that they, like Vic, are ignoring and refusing to come to terms with in their own introspection that they react so violently to people they do not personally know?
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
@Salieri - You've made your point, and now you're just repeating yourself in the same thread. Continue and you will be put on moderation.

@xchampion - Your trolling post has been removed. Continue and you will also be put on moderation.

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, then that's it isn't it? he's going for counseling/Probably going to pray it away somewhere....and that's the end.

Thanks Vic, Because of this, I seriously despise anime fans now. God help us all if we ever get a Harvey Weinstein/Bill Cosby-like scandal because y'all will be too busy threatening to murder or sue or boycott anyone who dare talks crap about your hero...

Now can people seriously stop threatening to kill everyone associated with Funimation? Hell, your boy even says stop threatening people in his name...

Last edited by GoddyNee on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Crisha wrote:
@Salieri - You've made your point, and now you're just repeating yourself in the same thread. Continue and you will be put on moderation.

They made their account today and has 9 posts that were all in this thread (some of which removed) and their just saying the same stuff over and over again, I'm going to bet that they're just a troll trying to stir the pot.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The whole fan response to this whole revelation has been the most disheartening thing I've seen in this community in a long time. I'm tired of seeing people bend over backwards to defend someone who has had dozens of people from different facets of his life (coworkers, fans, even a student from pre-Funi days) share their experiences of harassment that clearly show a pattern of behavior, but won't offer an inch to women coming forward.

I'm sad to see people downplay multiple testimonies and accounts because they aren't on playback or whatever ridiculous standard will satisfy them. Especially those from people who actually know him. I'm angry that people are attacking those who won't stay silent, people who at least deserve to just be left alone if you can't offer them basic empathy.

I'm confused to see people seemingly not understand how Vic doesn't have to commit a criminal offense for a company to stop hiring him, especially as a contractor (there's an Answerman article that better explains the employment status of VAs). Companies stop working with people for multitudes of good reasons that don't result in jail time. A company also does not owe you the personal details of an internal investigation. The safety and well-being of those involved is more important than the demands of fans who refuse to face reality.

I'm not surprised that some people are more concerned with how he will "recover" his career from all this over any other aspect (the victims themselves, the con culture/atmosphere that allowed this, literally anything else).

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
Well, then that's it isn't it? he's going for counseling/Probably going to pray it away somewhere....and that's the end.

Thanks Vic, Because of this, I seriously despise anime fans now. God help us all if we ever get a Harvey Weinstein/Bill Cosby-like scandal because y'all will be too busy threatening to murder or sue or boycott anyone who dare talks crap about your hero...

Now can people seriously stop threatening to kill everyone associated with Funimation? Hell, your boy even says stop threatening people in his name...

In fairness to more general anime fans, this kind of behavior isn’t exlcusive to just them.

Though it is well known that typically more “nerd associated” hobbies like video games & comic books do carry with them a more deeply ingrained misogyny so yeah it’s very bad all around.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I said it once and I'll say it again. 1) I'm willing to bet that if he treated boys the same way he treated girls there'd be significantly less people defending him. 2) If you honestly think there's nothing wrong with his behavior in those pictures or in the statements made by his victims then please do us all a favor. Don't ever breed.
Salieri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
Crisha wrote:

They made their account today and has 9 posts that were all in this thread (some of which removed) and their just saying the same stuff over and over again, I'm going to bet that they're just a troll trying to stir the pot.

I made this account a while ago, so no, I'm not a troll. I haven't deleted any of my posts, but it seems that people don't like what I said.
Expias

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

This is about far, far worse than some mean comments on Twitter.

Ah yes, the good ol' ''but this guy did something worst so its alright''

The three of them (Vic, Monica and Jamie) should get consequences. (Not exactly at the same level as Vic of course but still need some punishments of some sorts.)

Exactly what should they be punished for? Monica and Jamie were responding to constant demands for which they did not need to meet or answer. One or two bursts of anger and outrage (which I believe one main Jamie tweet) are all about an HR reprimand will take or is even at all necessary. Jamie's particular tweet was extreme venting about someone who has caused her great pain and mental anguish. If she showed any particular visible thread on acting on it, there would probably be something done as well. Amanda's tweet was clearly twisted to jump her for her words.

Meanwhile many people are constantly creating new accounts or using their accounts to constantly send messages ridiculing Funimation, Rooster Teeth, the people who work for them, and the people who have stepped forward. Allegations didn't come just from Monica and Jamie and the investigations didn't include only them.

Evidence in many typical allegations, especially in cases concerning misconduct, is testimonial. That's why people are called to testify. In any case, for some people the only 'proof' they'd ever accept are probably videos and even then they'll keep moving the goal posts to "well it was consensual" or "they wanted it".

Salieri wrote:

I made this account a while ago, so no, I'm not a troll. I haven't deleted any of my posts, but it seems that people don't like what I said.

It literally says you joined today. This year.

Last edited by Expias on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Salieri wrote:
chao8971 wrote:
Crisha wrote:

Look to the left of your post, Joined: 14 Feb 2019
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
braket wrote:
basically he's saying "I'm gonna sit there and read my bible all day and come back when the feelings I have in my heart from reading the book I like a lot tell me that I've beaten myself up enough. who knows how long this could take"

If I could I would just quote your entire post -- I went to religious schools from Pre-K to senior year of high school, albeit in Northern VA so not completely deep-rooted. Based on past experiences, I found your statements to be incredibly accurate.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I think this whole ordeal has made me hate Vic's fans, more than Vic himself. They seem like horrible people and threatening the lives of two women, possibly more, for the "crime" of sharing their stories is not cool. Even if you don't like what they said about Vic, cyber bullying is never the answer. I'm starting to view these people as the worst type of scum.

Had Vic openly denounced the actions of said people, and even apologized on their behalf to Monica and Jamie, I would have respected the guy a great deal, even liked him a little more. The fact that he only vaguely words it as "be kind and please don't be hateful on my behalf" is a great over simplification of whats going on in his fan club. These idiots don't seem to realize that innocent or guilty, actually threatening to kill someone on Vic's behalf isn't helping their side at all, but some people just don't understand logic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23