• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Far From Perfect': Fans Recount Unwanted Affection from Voice Actor Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
My gut instinct says everyone's being a little too harsh on old Vic

I believe so. Even if one thinks Vic is guilty, even if Vic turns out to be 100% guilty, seeing industry people like Jamie Marchi and other voice actors calling for people to find and assault/murder Vic is just inexcusable. This has become complete mob rule, and perhaps more frightening is not a single industry person has stepped forward and said "Hey, actually, calls to violence actually aren't cool. Let's maybe reign it in a bit"
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Dewey Donedidit wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
My gut instinct says everyone's being a little too harsh on old Vic

I believe so. Even if one thinks Vic is guilty, even if Vic turns out to be 100% guilty, seeing industry people like Jamie Marchi and other voice actors calling for people to find and assault/murder Vic is just inexcusable. This has become complete mob rule, and perhaps more frightening is not a single industry person has stepped forward and said "Hey, actually, calls to violence actually aren't cool. Let's maybe reign it in a bit"

None of the voice actors have called out for him to be physically harmed. They’ve wanted him to get help, and many have even asked their followers to not harass Vic’s supporters. Please stop with the lies and the over dramatic hyperbole.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Jamie Marchi made a few pretty obvious jokes about how Jesus would want to "light him on fire and send him to hell," a joke she admits she took from Daniel Tosh. I feel like people who would be really quick to tell feminists and progressives to "learn how to recognize jokes/satire" when we talk about finding something offensive, should take their own advice here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Jamie Marchi made a few pretty obvious jokes about how Jesus would want to "light him on fire and send him to hell," a joke she admits she took from Daniel Tosh. I feel like people who would be really quick to tell feminists and progressives to "learn how to recognize jokes/satire" when we talk about finding something offensive, should take their own advice here.

How on Earth is wishing death on someone a 'joke'? If these are the kinds of jokes you find funny, I am not laughing.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing: Vic deserves to lose his job whether or not the allegations of out-and-out assault are true.

Let's say for a minute that he didn't commit any of the assaults he's being accused of. Personally, I believe the victims but for the sake of argument we'll say that they're all liars. He still:

1. was inappropriate with his young fans and violated many people's boundaries. You don't touch people so intimately without consent, especially on the face, especially if they're 35+ years younger than you, ESPECIALLY if you're in a position of power over them. If people are uncomfortable with his actions, it doesn't matter if he was trying to be friendly! As some have said in the thread before me, it's not up to him or me or you to decide what's a big deal - it's up to the people who were put in an uncomfortable spot.

2. was an unpleasant diva who acted entitled and rude to convention staff members and other guests. When you're at a convention you're ON THE JOB. If I act like an asshole while I'm wearing my press pass, then my editors are going to hear about it and I'm going to get in hot water. If I'm late to a panel, run over, or violate the age rating, I'm not going to get to be a panelist at that con anymore. Vic didn't think the rules applied to him and made the people around him miserable.

3. was also apparently unpleasant to work with. It speaks VOLUMES how few of his colleagues, the people he works with most closely, have chosen to stand by him.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:57 am Reply with quote
Dewey Donedidit wrote:
How on Earth is wishing death on someone a 'joke'? If these are the kinds of jokes you find funny, I am not laughing.

I mean whether or not it's a funny joke is beside the point of if it's obviously intended as one, and therefore if it makes sense to call it a "violent threat" or "wishing death on someone." Most people on Twitter were able to figure out she wasn't literally calling on Jesus to burn anybody. Again, I've seen your side get mad at progressives over way less obvious cases of "can't get a joke." But once a woman makes jokes in anger over a predatory man, suddenly we're clutching our pearls, I guess.

Also somehow I doubt you've never, ever said something like "I could just kill him!" or "I wish you'd die!" about somebody in jest when you're mad. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, mods have made it repeatedly clear that discussions about "what people are posting on Twitter" are off-topic so that should probably be the end of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:

To quote the Youtube comments of every male anime fan who feels he should continue his reign of creepiness unabated:

"Do you have any evidence?"

Mr. Mignogna's former coworkers seem more concerned about his victims than they do any sort of petty vengeance or vindication.[/b]
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Here's the thing: Vic deserves to lose his job whether or not the allegations of out-and-out assault are true.

Let's say for a minute that he didn't commit any of the assaults he's being accused of. Personally, I believe the victims but for the sake of argument we'll say that they're all liars. He still:

1. was inappropriate with his young fans and violated many people's boundaries. You don't touch people so intimately without consent, especially on the face, especially if they're 35+ years younger than you, ESPECIALLY if you're in a position of power over them. If people are uncomfortable with his actions, it doesn't matter if he was trying to be friendly! As some have said in the thread before me, it's not up to him or me or you to decide what's a big deal - it's up to the people who were put in an uncomfortable spot.

2. was an unpleasant diva who acted entitled and rude to convention staff members and other guests. When you're at a convention you're ON THE JOB. If I act like an asshole while I'm wearing my press pass, then my editors are going to hear about it and I'm going to get in hot water. If I'm late to a panel, run over, or violate the age rating, I'm not going to get to be a panelist at that con anymore. Vic didn't think the rules applied to him and made the people around him miserable.

3. was also apparently unpleasant to work with. It speaks VOLUMES how few of his colleagues, the people he works with most closely, have chosen to stand by him.

The problem is...

He has tetered along the lines between harassment and assault. He has made unwanted contact with fans and non-fans. He has pushed personal boundaries with fans, if a fan wanted a hug, he will hug and then place his hands somewhere in an risky area. If a fan just wanted a selfie pic, he will hug and kiss them on the cheek. He has made inappropriate comments to some fans, and has even importuned others. It has gone unchecked, for decades and it is only now starting to catch up to him. Age wasn't the issue, it was bad and obnoxious behavior for any man young or old to be engaging in it.

I won't pretend to know the full depth of all the allegations laid against Vic. At the very least, I think he needed an intervention, because unless he continued on with his conduct, something far worse could happen to a fan or to Vic.

Now, if Monica Rial has something more to say on Vic, I could change my mind about where things are.
R3k0rdK33p3r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
In light of everything , I wondered if William Shatner was aware of this whole situation.
Reason being is that Mignogna said he looked up to Shatner and his portrayal of Kirk as a role model when he was a kid.

I was informed that Shatner has blocked ALL the cast members of Star Trek: Continues.
Here is Michele Specht confirming this:
https://twitter.com/MicheleSpecht/status/958575202207715328

The reason why this happened is because his image was used in their fundraiser without his permission:
https://twitter.com/williamshatner/status/727273717676445697

If you read Shatner's thread, you'll find out that this happened on more than one occasion.
Shatner tweeted everything came to a head when Mignogna took a picture with him and used to say Shatner "taught him to play Kirk."
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/937761172094197760

In response, Shatner severed all ties and blocked the entire cast.

Take it how you will.

UPDATE:

Mignogna has responded in regards to the actions by some of his supporters:
https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
I mean whether or not it's a funny joke is beside the point of if it's obviously intended as one, and therefore if it makes sense to call it a "violent threat" or "wishing death on someone." Most people on Twitter were able to figure out she wasn't literally calling on Jesus to burn anybody. Again, I've seen your side get mad at progressives over way less obvious cases of "can't get a joke." But once a woman makes jokes in anger over a predatory man, suddenly we're clutching our pearls, I guess.

Why are you talking about my "side"? This is not a zero sum game. I am an individual and am making my own observations and opinions on this. I would appreciate it if you don't attribute anyone else's comments to me. I, as an individual, am saying seeing individual industry professionals like Jamie Marchi making threats is disturbing, as are the people attempting to excuse such behavior. Notice I did not say it was your "side" doing this, because I am judging people individually.

Sethimothy wrote:
To quote the Youtube comments of every male anime fan who feels he should continue his reign of creepiness unabated:

"Do you have any evidence?"

Of course. I would never make a serious accusation without any evidence.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Who's the employer in this case? Because from what I've been told over the past week, voice actors are freelance and not employed by a company. That should mean if a voice actor goes to a convention as a guest for their own individual panel, not on a panel for a show, they are self-employed and representing themselves. I ask because if rudeness was a friable offense, I can think of numerous actors who are much, much bigger divas and more rude than Vic could ever hope to be should be fired. I'd be curious to know how many actors were ever blacklisted specifically for rudeness, because it seems completely unrelated to their line of work. They're not a cashier meant to interact with customers, they're an actor who's only obligation is to read lines.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Dewey Donedidit wrote:
Who's the employer in this case? Because from what I've been told over the past week, voice actors are freelance and not employed by a company. That should mean if a voice actor goes to a convention as a guest for their own individual panel, not on a panel for a show, they are self-employed and representing themselves. I ask because if rudeness was a friable offense, I can think of numerous actors who are much, much bigger divas and more rude than Vic could ever hope to be should be fired. I'd be curious to know how many actors were ever blacklisted specifically for rudeness, because it seems completely unrelated to their line of work. They're not a cashier meant to interact with customers, they're an actor who's only obligation is to read lines.

When a voice actor is at a con, they're representing the shows they've been cast in. At the cons I've been to, when an actor is introduced at opening ceremonies, they're introduced with a list of popular characters they played. These characters then come up in Q&A panels, or actors might even do panels that's specifically about a certain series they're in. They sign DVDs of shows they're in that might have been bought from the company in the dealers room. (I know I've bought DVDs at conventions to get autographs, myself.) In a lot of ways, they're advertising the series they're in as much as they're advertising themselves.

And Vic spends a LOT of effort on making sure people continue to associate him with popular characters. Some of the videos going around of him is him whispering flirty things into teenager's ears as Tamaki from Ouran or Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist. Heck, even his fanclub, The Resembool Rangers, is named after the home town of Edward Elric.

If a company chooses not to continue to cast him and to pull him from his current shows because they do not want him to be associated with their brands, they are absolutely in their rights to do so. I seriously doubt Funimation is really happy that people are saying they feel like they can't watch the dubs of Ouran High School Host Club or Fullmetal Alchemist anymore because it reminds them of Vic's conduct. In fact, both of those shows used to be some of my favorites, but years ago when I heard the stories about Vic, I just kinda...stopped watching them, and probably more importantly from Funimation's point of view, I stopped buying the merchandise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Heck, even his fanclub, The Resembool Rangers, is named after the home town of Edward Elric.

That begs a question: now that his employers have finally listened after over a decade of complaints, will the fan club be expected to change it's name for copyright or licensing reasons?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
Another poster shared this link on one of the other Vic related threads. Thought I'd share it here, Jamie Marchi's twitter:
https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1094020618327150592?s=21
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
Quote:
Heck, even his fanclub, The Resembool Rangers, is named after the home town of Edward Elric.

That begs a question: now that his employers have finally listened after over a decade of complaints, will the fan club be expected to change it's name for copyright or licensing reasons?

Having a quick look at their website it shows that they have a merchandise section. If the licensors were to send a cease and desist I imagine (this is pure speculation mind you) that this is what they would target if anything. I think that they probably would be reluctant to do anything though. Typically the anime community is one which thrives on fan engagement like fanfic, fanart, etc... to go after that I think would only amplify the already existing backlash.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
R3k0rdK33p3r wrote:
UPDATE:

Mignogna has responded in regards to the actions by some of his supporters:
https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762

I mean it's nice he could do the bare minimum here, but it is kinda rich considering that there are screencaps of the Risembool Rangers discord where he was encouraging his fans to "counter the rumors about him" for his own sake. He might not have told them to threaten anyone, but he can't be surprised that that's what happened when he was telling fans to basically, harass and sealion his victims and fight his battles for him on social media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 28