• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: The Box Office Hit Movie, The Laws of the Universe-Part I is More Than just a Sci-Fi An

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
I prefer to skip out on Happy Science propaganda.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Uuuuuh, I get that this is an ad for the western release, but I'm really not sure if giving attention to this movie on a widely read site is a good idea.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
I feel like this advert should at least make it clear this movie is promoting the controversial Happy Science movement.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote
Very cool of you guys to take money from a literal rightwing cult that thinks china wants to enslave the japanese and also has basically vanished tons of b and c-list actors and actresses under extremely shady circumstances.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
Really ANN? At least put in a disclaimer regarding its association with the Happy Science cult.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
Is the group just as bad as Scientology?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
ANN, I've gone to bat for you so many times against your detractors. The Otaku Coin embarrassment, the changes to the forum rules, the false claims that you don't pay your freelancers...

But taking money from a far-right wing cult to advertise their recruitment movie? That's indefensible.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
Particularly strange when you remember that the Mike Toole show covered this exact cult animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2015-12-13/.96470
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
So, not exactly happy to see this. To be perfectly honest even just a banner ad promoting Happy Science would not have felt right to me, but something like an advertorial is far worse.

And this has me wondering something, and I'm half thinking I should post it in a new thread in site feedback, but for now I'll ask here: how exactly are "advertorials" handled?

Because based on this I very strongly suspect that they aren't reviewed by the editorial department. I could be wrong I suppose, but are they just treated like any other ad, and reviewed for appropriateness using the same standards?

Because if so I feel that's a mistake. I think advertorials, if you're gonna continue to run them, need an extra layer of scrutiny. Even if they're technically marked as ads, the fact that they are written like editorials (hence the name) gives a far stronger implication of endorsement by ANN.

So yeah, in the future, please review both your general advertising practices and your advertorial specific practices. And also for the future, I'd really rather not have the site taking money from far right cults to promote their recruitment videos. There are a ton of cool people who work or freelance for this site, which just makes this whole thing even more awkward.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:35 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm a fan of the advertorials in general because they always make me think they're a typical editorial and then I'm disappointed when it just turns out to be a glorified ad.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
^Well, it says AD on the thumbnail, and identifies itself as paid advertising both above and below the title on the article page, so I'm not sure how else they can hold your hand so you can avoid them. oO
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 am Reply with quote
^People don't normally pay attention to the top left corner of thumbnails when scrolling casually through the site but thank you for illuminating me with your belittling sarcasm. It was much appreciated and informative.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:53 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
^People don't normally pay attention to the top left corner of thumbnails when scrolling casually through the site but thank you for illuminating me with your belittling sarcasm. It was much appreciated and informative.

The only one I see being sarcastic is you.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
Can we be back to the topic instead of insulting me or do I have to call a mod?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:16 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
Uuuuuh, I get that this is an ad for the western release, but I'm really not sure if giving attention to this movie on a widely read site is a good idea.

If by your definition of "western" release, you mean the U. S., maybe you are right, because there's not any other foreign release in other countries other than Japan and the United States.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3