• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korea's Largest Illegal Manga Website Shuts Down

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It looks like no one on Korea will ever read manga nor manhwa for free anymore, i feel sorry for this way.

At least Korea can thrive its own webtoons on Line Comics and its popularity around the world can rival Japan's manga.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
"The person who started the petition is calling for action to allow people with no money to be able to read manga for free."

-would be interesting to see a survey of what the segments of amount of disposable income people who read manga for free are composed of

Anyway, seems like someones wants a societal and industrial change for this to happen, as the only place that offers free reading (libraries) still require some type of capital that we all end up contributing at the end of the day (tax payer money + donations).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Awww man. That's where I read most of my "raws"
mindblaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
"
-would be interesting to see a survey of what the segments of amount of disposable income people who read manga for free are composed of .

Every society has is winners and losers and especially when you are young you normally don't have a lot of money to spare.
so why not stop this stupid game and let people read what the want and trust them that they will give back to the creator or society in whole as soon the can?!?

You know, the idea of "universal basic income" will soon come to many western countries because the poor there can't survive otherwise -or more specify: can't buy the stuff that is produced by machines...

Яeverse wrote:

Anyway, seems like someones wants a societal and industrial change for this to happen, as the only place that offers free reading (libraries) still require some type of capital that we all end up contributing at the end of the day (tax payer money + donations).

Libraries are not very well founded those days. You are lucky if you have a good one near you. -But as stated above. - we have now the possibility to build the library of alexandria which allows every human to anticipate on the whole cultural heritage of humanity

but as "google books" has shown - publishers don't care for human progress and/or knowledge and cultural rights/Participation in cultural life for everyone

so the copyright law has to change because every creator uses the culture which came before them - no idea is new or unique...

And for this the net is a good place - is the future...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
mindblaster wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
"
-would be interesting to see a survey of what the segments of amount of disposable income people who read manga for free are composed of .

Every society has is winners and losers and especially when you are young you normally don't have a lot of money to spare.
so why not stop this stupid game and let people read what the want and trust them that they will give back to the creator or society in whole as soon the can?!?

Because "give backs" to the creator at some unknown and uncertain date in the future don't put dinner on the table today. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. "If you can't afford something optional, you do without" isn't a difficult concept either.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
mindblaster wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
"

Libraries are not very well founded those days. You are lucky if you have a good one near you. -But as stated above. - we have now the possibility to build the library of alexandria which allows every human to anticipate on the whole cultural heritage of humanity

Low funded libraries would suggested people arent giving back to creators or society. People have the option to donate to libraries, clearly people arent doing it if they are only surviving off few donations and gov't funding.

I dont think "give to society as soon as they can" is something people would want especially if people are self publishing, paying money out of their own pocket and going into the hole in the beginning, how many who do that *dont earn 7K*? how many lost money in the process? Think its even worst for people who sell Doujins off their own money and end up losing money going online and seeing their DJs freely shared with thousands of readers.

The main problem with give as you can is by the time one might earn enough money to give, the manga might already be OOP, Canceled due to low reception. Maybe give as soon as you can works for big mangas like shonen jump titles but for small stuff like BL novels, it may be impossible to work.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and he was sentenced to serve two and a half years of imprisonment with hard labor.

I think that hard labor is a bit harsh for illegal manga. I know someone is going to tell me how wrong I am but think about it: not every manga is licensed and translated. I can't tell you how many times a manga has caught my eye but it hasn't been licensed or even looked at. I'm not saying "Yeah! Do anything illegal!" but I agree that there does need to be better alternatives to find + read manga.

Personally, I would buy my manga but the prices of manga have been raised over the years.... It used to be only 10 bucks but it's near 15 US dollars! I know it's 5 US dollars more but it matters because not everyone has the extra money to pay for that 5 dollars more. I know there are cheap bookstores but they aren't in my area and so utterly far away.... Yeah, I know all I am doing is complaining but I am saying all of this because there are so many sites like these then /maybe/ there's a problem on those finding to read manga in a legal way.
Idgal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
what the hell? people who whine about ripping off original creators by reading illegal uploaded scans and trying to justified it by saying the cost of manga has rises or that they are too poor.

reading Manga is not a necessary, do without it until you can pay.

I love manga and started reading it when I was in the 5th grade but I was poor as hell, I made do with what I could find in the Libraries.

Now that I have disposable income, I buy whatever I what.

buying raw is easier than ever now too, I can buy raw online with a US credit card easily and a chapter is usually $2.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The person who started the petition is calling for action to allow people with no money to be able to read manga for free.
Gee, it sure sounds like piracy is some kind of pricing problem Wink

capt_bunny wrote:
Personally, I would buy my manga but the prices of manga have been raised over the years.... It used to be only 10 bucks but it's near 15 US dollars!
Adjusted for inflation, the prices haven't gone up all that much. For instance, $10 in 2004 is $13.65 today.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
mindblaster wrote:

so why not stop this stupid game and let people read what the want and trust them that they will give back to the creator or society in whole as soon the can?!?.

Except they don't. Time and time again we've seen this in regards to just anime & manga, let alone any other sort of product. As also pointed out that sort of mentality also does nothing to help the actual creator make a living. If they can't make a profit NOW and pay their bills how do you expect them to keep writing and producing more manga? Your suggestion is the same as saying, "Here drive this car you can't afford and you just pay us when you're able to." That's not how it works. Manga and anime are not necessities, end of story. We all love them but they are not needed to live and have some basic semblance of actual human existence. Without anime/manga you won't wither and die.

I would also point out this whole service was hardly run out of simple generosity to "bring manga to people" given it's large amount of advertising earnings. He ran an illegal service, made profit off of it, and got caught. Simple as that. I don't personally feel bad for him anymore than I would someone else running some sort of illegal service. I would point out to those crying foul over the other programmer getting 2 years of hard labor for his illegal services, there's an article right now on this very website about a Chinese woman who just got 10 years for simply writing BL manga. So let's keep things in a bit of perspective here with our moral outrage.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Manga and anime are not necessities, end of story. We all love them but they are not needed to live and have some basic semblance of actual human existence. Without anime/manga you won't wither and die.

ok, can i get the necessities for free then?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
@jl07045

No, but when you go to jail for stealing them, people will have some sympathy for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1