• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Unique Sodas Are Sold in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Shout out to Gabunomi soda! Great flavors like melon available from Asian markets in the US. Also, watch out for the Calpis/Calpico concentrate, does NOT taste like the regular after dilution...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
Rika Hue wrote:
There are also cigarette vending machines, which is another discussion for another time.

I haven't used them myself since I don't smoke so I could be wrong, but I believe that in order to use a cigarette vending machine, you need to use some kind of touch card to activate it first, and presumably you need to be an adult to be able to get one of those cards to begin with.

Yes, you need a Taspo card in order to buy cigarettes from a vending machine. The card reader is often placed up high as well so little kids can't reach it.

I once saw a kid assumingly running an errand for his father to buy cigarettes. The kid had his dad's card and just stretched up to reach the card reader. Kinda defeats the purpose of the cards when parents give them to their kids to go out and buy a pack for them.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

But I would have expected more than a half-sentence mention. I recall a few instances in anime in which the strange nature of the Ramune bottle was actually a plot point.

Although the question was about unique drinks in Japan, the article was more focused on those sold in vending machines, and as noted, ramune normally isn't.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know Calpico is actually called Calpis, I can see why they changed the name for the States Laughing

I've never tried it by itself (I should get on that) but I did have a Calpico shochu cocktail from this really nice Japanese hotpot place in San Fran called Nabe and it was sooo good. Or maybe I just thought that because I was tipsy...lol
meruru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Zof wrote:
For an American, the important thing is Japan FINALLY has proper Diet Coke. You don't have to suffer with that terrible liquefied pencil shavings flavored copy from Pepsi anymore.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out if this is serious or if this is a joke..... Confused

Actually, let me tell you about diet coke in Japan. It's the only soda I'll drink basically, and back around 2003 I went to Japan, and they had regular old diet coke pretty readily available, though not as widely as you'd find in America. Still, I found it in vending machines and such. This year, I went back, and it was almost completely non existent. Apparently it was almost completely phased out. Instead, they had Coke Zero, or Coca Cola Plus, which I stayed far away from because it's an exclusive to Japan zero sugar drink with added fiber for "health reasons." And I think basically no one wants to risk too much fiber on international vacations. I only ever found a single 2 liter bottle of real diet coke at the Mega Don in Shibuya. But unless they brought back Diet Coke in the few months since I was there, then I'm not sure what they're on about.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
I saw beer and sake vending machines in Kyoto when I was there a couple of weeks ago, didn't notice any in the bits of Tokyo I was in.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Although the question was about unique drinks in Japan, the article was more focused on those sold in vending machines, and as noted, ramune normally isn't.

That was kind of my point. The question wasn't limited to vending machines so why should the reply be? Ramune is about as "unique" as it gets in the world of Japanese sodas thanks to its iconic bottle. IMHO it deserves more than a passing mention.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Japanese drink/soup vending machines are awesome. Nothing like getting a warm can of corn soup when it's cold outside and you've been walking around in that all day.

I went to Japan in October and was sad to see that the prizes (usually some lame tchotchke like an eraser, cellphone charm, etc) were more or less gone. When I had been there years earlier, I selected drinks based on the prizes available. That was my incentive to go into a konbini and pay 160 yen for a drink. Instead, I gravitated to the 100 yen special machines because if there's no prize incentive, I'm not going to pony up an extra 60 yen. The only drinks I could find with prizes were cans of Asahi beer inside some konbini, and some shinkansen pads at Tokyo Station that came with genmaicha and green tea bottles.

Fanta is a pretty big brand in Japan that I didn't see mentioned in the article. Fanta Melon is served inside Japanese McDonalds. Really wish they would substitute Pineapple with Melon in the US.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
I've tried a few Japanese sodas that were sold in Asian markets around where I live. They're not bad, but their sugar content is quite high (which is par the course for soda).
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And besides, don't we already have classic Coke Zero, which was brought out after everyone caught on that US Diet Coke was actually that 90's New Coke that had just been rebranded after being taken off the market?
(Coke Zero originally also tried to copy Pepsi One's idea of reducing water content to taste like a "thicker" syrup-based regular cola, but not sure if they're still doing that. Heard from one Pepsi fan who said she couldn't drink CZ because of that, and asked me what the heck was up with that soda.)

It's the other way around. Diet Coke was introduced in 1982 and New Coke was introduced in 1985. New Coke was Diet Coke sweetened with HFCS instead of Aspartame. The controversy was that New Coke replaced the original formula for a few months.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
A Japanese soda equivalent of Red Bull would be horrid, in my eyes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A Japanese soda equivalent of Red Bull would be horrid, in my eyes.

Ouch--Yes, and it probably wouldn't be much good anywhere else, either. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
An article about "unique Japanese sodas" and no mention of Ramune and its interesting bottle, which was actually a western invention, yet now is largely unheard of in the west? Shame!!!!

I always found that marble to be annoying, as it's stuck on tight (I am clumsy so I often accidentally knock the bottle over) and gets in the way of my drinking. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, as no one else seems to have issues with them.

Me, I prefer the Ramu Bottles. They're cheaper relative to their volume, and they come in normal bottles that I can close if I don't drink all of it in one go.

CorneredAngel wrote:
At least in Tokyo and Kyoto, the only vending machines I saw carry beer/other alcoholic drinks are already in hotels, not just out on the street. Though, could very well be different in other places. And, for what it's worth, it's not like buying beer without an ID is particularly difficult in the U.S., either - especially in a big city!

But selling beer without checking for ID is likely to cause the establishment to lose their liquor license. Maybe enforcement varies between places, but I'd occasionally see these places shut down because they violated some law regarding liquor licenses. The cops check these places like hawks.

Zin5ki wrote:
One can only assume that Japanese youths learn how hard drinks are not worth the extra cost before they do so over here. I recall once trying to enjoy alcohol as if it was obliged of me as a rite of passage, only to realise that soft drinks better suited me in all ways.

Absurdly low tolerances run in my family...I get lightheaded from simply smelling beer.

EricJ2 wrote:
Yep, count me another Disney Parks fan who goes to Epcot's world-of-Coke exhibit just to try the free samples of China's Smart Watermelon soda, Brazil's guarana-berry and Mexico's La Manzana apple soda. Razz
Three flavors we could use more of over here.

If you're talking about Manzanita Sol, that is, if I recall correctly, Pepsi's apple-flavored soda pop. It's very common in some parts and not at all in others. Not sure about yours.

Brand wrote:
Warm drinks from a vending machine is such an awesome thing. I wish we could have in the states. Nothing better than on a chilly day than getting a warm drink in hand.

You don't have those coffee dispensers? They dispense hot coffee. If you have a cup, you place it in the slot where it pours out the drink. If the machine doesn't sense one, it'll drop a paper cup first. There were some at my college, and I've worked in at least one office that had one too.

Fenrin wrote:
Huh, I didn't know Calpico is actually called Calpis, I can see why they changed the name for the States Laughing

I've never tried it by itself (I should get on that) but I did have a Calpico shochu cocktail from this really nice Japanese hotpot place in San Fran called Nabe and it was sooo good. Or maybe I just thought that because I was tipsy...lol

Yeah, if you look carefully on a container of Calpico, you can see "カルピス" ("Calpis") written right underneath. When I was little, my parents would go to Asian supermarkets (Korean ones and Thai ones) to buy inexpensive fish and I'd see these bottles and cans. Back then, they still read "Calpis" as they didn't export the stuff to the Anglosphere very much yet, if they did it directly at all. I actually hadn't noticed the change for several years, as the graphic design on the containers ws still very similar and it sounded close enough that I just accepted it as that name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2