• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Anime Record Voices Before Animating?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Nope, I was referring to Kurenai a show from 2008 directed by Kou Matsuo. Addiemon is referencing Kurokami or something else.

Matsuo Kou prefers the voices-first method and used it in Red Garden as well.

Kurenai has excellent ensemble voice performances, including scenes where the seiyuu talk over one another, very uncommon in anime. As an example I recommend the three-way conversation in episode three with Murasaki, that "vile woman" Yuno, and Shinkarou. Murasaki was one of Aoi Yuuki's earliest anime performances, and she and Sawashiro Miyuki, who played Shinkarou, formed a bond in the studio that lasted for years. Unfortunately this show has never been streamed legally in R1, though a DVD set is still available.
#hiros7039

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
It feels like this question has already been asked many times before. It's shocking even in 2018.
Easier to record the voices since anime mouths aren't emphasized since they just move up and down like sock puppets. Easier to dub too trying to be consistent with movements.
Higher production budgets put effort in the lips to match the dialogue by recording the voices prior. With AKIRA for example.
Videos games are easier and cheaper to do when all you need to do is edit facial animation instructions.

The Simpsons parodied the lip movements in the Super Bowl episode. Due to its long production time, mad libs dialogue is added late in production when the characters obscure their mouths with beer mugs. Not worry about having their lips match the team names.
How will they know that Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos will play and if Bill Clinton is still president and is still with Hillary?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm a certain I have read this article months ago, if not even a year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
Voice actors like it they can more freedom to improvise when doing pre-lay, while animators get more freedom to do their stuff when animation is done first.

Still, due to time constraints, one would realize there's a lot of "animation cheats" to avoid having to show lip-flaps, once ya start paying to attention to these cheats. But just because it's a "cheat" doesn't mean it's not effective.

Anime mouth flaps tend to be more exaggerated, so it's a bit easier to slip almost anything in there, compared to more subtle movements.

Western consumers got used to pre-lay due to decades of Disney, so they're more discerning with lip-sync while making fun of anything resembling old kung-fu dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2