• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Could Patreon Be "Better For The Industry" Than Crunchyroll?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The percentage of new/airing shows that don't get legal streams in the US somewhere is vanishingly low

This statement got me wondering so I did a quick lookup and I counted 41 shows currently airing not available anywhere for legal streaming. I might have made a mistake given some series get name changes, so someone can feel free to correct me if I included something by mistake or left out a show.

Shinkansen Henkei Robo Shinkalion
Zoids Wild
Bonobono
Pochitto Hatsumei: Pikachin-Kit
Tama and Friends
Duel Masters
Koneko no Chii
Wakaokami wa Shougakusei
Hugtto! Precure
Layton Mystery Tanteisha
Kiratto Pri?chan
Space Bug
Sazae-san
Tsukumogami Kashimasu
Marvel Future Adventures
Kimoshiba
Ohayou! Kokekkou-san
Pittanko! Nekozakana
Beyblade Burst Chouzetsu
Puzzle & Dragon 2018
Ani ni Tsukeru Kusuri wa Nai
Captain Tsubasa 2018
Doraemon
Kuroneko Monroe
Uchi no Oochopus
Shounen Ashibe GO! GO! Goma-chan
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Gekijou 3rd Season
Shinya! Tensai Bakabon
Yin Yang Shi: Ping An Wu Yu
Neko Neko Nihonshi 3rd Season
Kira Kira Happy?Hirake! Cocotama
Aikatsu Friends!
Crayon Shin-chan
Pocket Monsters: Sun and Moon
Usagi no Mathew
Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san
Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100 Nin no Ouji-sama
BanG Dream! Garupa?Pico
Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin
Youkai Watch: Shadowside
Ongaku Shoujo

Interesting find, nevertheless. Captain Tsubasa stood out for me the most. Is it really not available anywhere or did I just overlook something? I read Viz had it, but I didn't see it on their site. It seems a bit odd the king of sports anime is unavailable.

-Stuart Smith
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Ongaku Shoujo
Bonobono
Layton Mystery Tanteisha

Those ones are simulcasting on Crunchyroll.

A lot of the ones on the list are either child-oriented (Doraemon, Tama and Friends...), are likely to be adapted to Western television (Duel Masters,. Beyblade...), are shorts (Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san...), belong to the bigger magical girl franchises which have for some reason much trouble getting over here(?)(Huggto Precure, Kira Kira...) or are simply too weird for Western tastes (Sazae-chan, Uchi no Octopus...).

Fortunately a lot of the more prominent ones are receiving steady fan translations (Wakaokami wa Shougakusei, Shinkalion, Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san, the above mentioned magical girl shows...).

And about Captain Tsubasa, the reason might simply be sports anime never really caught on here in the West. (Disclaimer, I don't watch sports anime, actually i don't watch any sports animated or not. Never could understand what's so fun in watching grown men run after a ball(?)..)
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
And about Captain Tsubasa, the reason might simply be sports anime never really caught on here in the West. (Disclaimer, I don't watch sports anime, actually i don't watch any sports animated or not. Never could understand what's so fun in watching grown men run after a ball(?)..)

Tsubasa is super huge in Latin and South America. Pretty sure Europe likes it too Razz
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tsukumogami Kashimasu >> airing on crunchyroll as We Rent Tsukumogami
Shounen Ashibe GO! GO! Goma-chan >> airing on Crunchyroll
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Gekijou 3rd Season >> airing on Crunchyroll
Shinya! Tensai Bakabon >> airing on Crunchyroll
Neko Neko Nihonshi 3rd Season >> airing on Crunchyroll as Meow Meow Japanese History
Pocket Monsters: Sun and Moon >> airing on Disney Anime hyper
Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100 Nin no Ouji-sama >> on HiDive as 100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams
Ongaku Shoujo >> on Crunchyroll as Music Girls
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Pocket Monsters: Sun and Moon

-Stuart Smith

Pokémon has run nonstop on American television since 1997, it's currently on Disney X D, has every episode available on Disney's on demand service, select episodes come up on the Pokémon TV app, and episodes on Netflix. Beyblade Burst Evolution and Yokai Watch are also on Disney X D.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Pokémon has run nonstop on American television since 1997, it's currently on Disney X D, has every episode available on Disney's on demand service, select episodes come up on the Pokémon TV app, and episodes on Netflix. Beyblade Burst Evolution and Yokai Watch are also on Disney X D.

When people say legally available streaming I assume they mean the Japanese version, not the heavily edited Americanized dubs. If you wanna watch the uncut Japanese versions of those shows, then yeah, got to put on that peg leg and eye patch.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

When people say legally available streaming I assume they mean the Japanese version, not the heavily edited Americanized dubs. If you wanna watch the uncut Japanese versions of those shows, then yeah, got to put on that peg leg and eye patch.

...If we're talking about, say, Power Rangers/Super Sentai, where the editing gets to the extent where you don't even have the same characters or plots in both shows, I would understand your stance (hell, Power Rangers even shoots new footage for the Western stories), but you're talking about Pokémon where the plot is identical in both versions. Your stance is totally unreasonable, against what amounts to name changes and riceballs becoming jelly doughnuts. This isn't Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin', where a character's death was turned into "character disappears, then comes back with a suit from a totally different show". This is "the Miyamoto Musashi pun is replaced with cowboy Jesse James". The only other examples you could bring up are the "James in the boob suit" and "Ash getting a gun pointed at him", and wouldn't you know it, that was from the first fracking season almost 20 years ago and nothing remotely similar has happened since then.

And hell, even Super Sentai is appearing in the US on subbed DVDs, so even that's out of the water.

Nobody, not nobody, is that insistent on watching the "pure, unadulterated" Japanese version of Pokémon (and these days nothing is edited to the extent you claim anyway.)
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Nobody, not nobody, is that insistent on watching the "pure, unadulterated" Japanese version of Pokémon

I am. Razz They actually just banned another episode in America. The Nagetukesaru one.
The dub is just really low quality and too censored for me. Sorry!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
...If we're talking about, say, Power Rangers/Super Sentai, where the editing gets to the extent where you don't even have the same characters or plots in both shows, I would understand your stance (hell, Power Rangers even shoots new footage for the Western stories), but you're talking about Pokémon where the plot is identical in both versions. Your stance is totally unreasonable, against what amounts to name changes and riceballs becoming jelly doughnuts. This isn't Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin', where a character's death was turned into "character disappears, then comes back with a suit from a totally different show". This is "the Miyamoto Musashi pun is replaced with cowboy "Jesse James". The only other examples you could bring up are the "James in the boob suit" and "Ash getting a gun pointed at him", and wouldn't you know it, that was from the first fracking season almost 20 years ago and nothing remotely similar has happened since then.

And hell, even Super Sentai is appearing in the US on subbed DVDs, so even that's out of the water.

Nobody, not nobody, is that insistent on watching the "pure, unadulterated" Japanese version of Pokémon (and these days nothing is edited to the extent you claim anyway.)

Uh, okay? I get you don't care, but you're severely underestimating the amount of people who do if you're going to insist 'literally nobody' wants to watch Pokemon in Japanese or cares about the Japanese version, especially when videos on the Japanese version are sitting on YouTube with millions of views and comments. And there's a lot more to changes than just 'jelly donuts' and names. I mean, music and voice-acting alone is reason enough to prefer the original over the dub, but they still do censor, cut out, and skip episodes even to this day in the dub.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
...If we're talking about, say, Power Rangers/Super Sentai, where the editing gets to the extent where you don't even have the same characters or plots in both shows, I would understand your stance (hell, Power Rangers even shoots new footage for the Western stories), but you're talking about Pokémon where the plot is identical in both versions. Your stance is totally unreasonable, against what amounts to name changes and riceballs becoming jelly doughnuts. This isn't Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin', where a character's death was turned into "character disappears, then comes back with a suit from a totally different show". This is "the Miyamoto Musashi pun is replaced with cowboy "Jesse James". The only other examples you could bring up are the "James in the boob suit" and "Ash getting a gun pointed at him", and wouldn't you know it, that was from the first fracking season almost 20 years ago and nothing remotely similar has happened since then.

Uh, okay? I get you don't care, but you're severely underestimating the amount of people who do if you're going to insist 'literally nobody' wants to watch Pokemon in Japanese or cares about the Japanese version, especially when videos on the Japanese version are sitting on YouTube with millions of views and comments. And there's a lot more to changes than just 'jelly donuts' and names. I mean, music and voice-acting alone is reason enough to prefer the original over the dub, but they still do censor, cut out, and skip episodes even to this day in the dub.

The Passimiam episode is the first episode that's been banned in 753 episodes, the dub barely edits the show these days, unless you want to count for Who's That Pokémon being a different Pokémon in both versions of the same episode.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the corrections. Some of the name changes really threw me off.

Blanchimont wrote:
A lot of the ones on the list are either child-oriented (Doraemon, Tama and Friends...), are likely to be adapted to Western television (Duel Masters,. Beyblade...), are shorts (Sunohara-sou no Kanrinin-san...), belong to the bigger magical girl franchises which have for some reason much trouble getting over here(?)(Huggto Precure, Kira Kira...) or are simply too weird for Western tastes (Sazae-chan, Uchi no Octopus...).

To be honest, I don't think 'child-oriented' is a valid excuse in this day and age. We've seen massive pushes for children's shows by Crunchyroll. This expo they seemed to really be pushing "Bananya" of all things. Something being for kids is evidently not a big issue for them, but since they tried to put Doraemon on television with a heavily localized dub, I imagine it's mostly a situation like Dragonball Super was in. Toei didn't want a streaming release, they wanted a TV deal, but it just wasn't really possible at the time given the shrinking television landscape and censorship issues for kids. I'm not sure how that quite explains the whole "Glitter Force" thing though.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
The Passimiam episode is the first episode that's been banned in 753 episodes, the dub barely edits the show these days, unless you want to count for Who's That Pokémon being a different Pokémon in both versions of the same episode.

Actually, they skipped a number of episodes over the years, and some not that long ago. Some of the more important ones they passed over was the Diamond and Pearl specials "Hikari Setting Off on a New Journey!" and "Nibi Gym! The Biggest Crisis Ever!" which took place during Best WIshes and showed what Hikari and Takeshi did after they split from Satoshi. Likewise in XY, the dub skipped over the Dent and Takeshi team-up episode, as well as the Iris and Ibuki team-up episode which follow up on what Dent and Iris are doing while Satoshi is in Kalos. Finally, as the pattern indicates, they skipped the XY sequel episode where Citron meets up with Dent and we find out what they're doing while Satoshi is in Alola.

I could go into more details on the dub, but that's a whole another topic. I merely included it on the list because the original version is not available and only an edited dub is available in America legally.

-Stuart Smith
CR85747

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:39 am Reply with quote
Anpanman and Maruko Chan's TV Japan broadcasts are raw, according to their website:

https://tvjapan.net/en/category/cate_anime/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11