• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Calamity of a Zombie Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
Black comedy done well is fantastic. Unfortunately, IMO this fails at comedy (of any kind) or horror. It has some slight success at splatter, but the execution is so poor it almost gets into tragedy territory for the wrong reasons ...

I don't think it works even if you think the animators and writers want you to not take it seriously, and I see no indication of that in the actual show.

Oh well. Time to see if there are any quality new shows this season this weekend.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
If they had actually shown any intent about going the black comedy route then I probably would have been gentler on the scoring, and I think it would have also worked much better had it deliberately gone for camp. CoaZG takes itself much too seriously for that, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akira525

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Calamity of a Zombie Girl is one of the more entertaining anime horror movies I have seen and it feels like it used a B movie script. At one point a woman is running around with her detached head in her hands while dodging basketballs being thrown with enough force to put craters in the wall. It is not a movie that tries to be serious but I think it is sometimes nice to watch an absurd horror movie that just wants to have fun.

I agree, while this anime does have its faults, you cannot deny that it has some good humor in it. Personally, i enjoyed the first episode very much.
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm little surprised that it got a low rating. Maybe I'm the only one that enjoyed this show

Not to mention, that girls is this show are so hot. Also, the action part was good, and the gore was uncensored
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd call it horror. I found myself rooting for the "monsters" and at the end the spoiler[good guys won].
That is something I liked about it since spoiler[at the start of the movie the college students were setup to look like the protagonists but it was slowly revealed that Euphrosyne and Alma were the real protagonists. The title and cover image for the movie did indicate that direction but it was still a good subversion of how this type of horror movie would usually treat the monsters in the story. It is unfortunate that only four light novels were published since the premise could have made for a good TV show.]

spoiler[I wouldn't say all the college students were antagonists, just the brother and sister. Fake martial arts girl seemed like she was just protecting her friends, and the others casualties of their callousness.][/i]
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If they had actually shown any intent about going the black comedy route then I probably would have been gentler on the scoring, and I think it would have also worked much better had it deliberately gone for camp. CoaZG takes itself much too seriously for that, however.
It was unclear at the start what type of horror movie it would be but in retrospect even early on there were indications that it was designed to be like a B rated American horror movie. spoiler[The kids breaking into a building to steal a treasure, a quip about the mummy smelling like premium beef jerky, casually stealing a gem hidden inside a mummy, the first death being an accident with Euprosyne saying "I goofed", the research on the computer being a video game, and the back and forth humorous dialogue between Euprosyne and Alma.] Those are some of the scenes in the first 20 minutes of the movie and the comedy increases as the movie goes on. The movie did have a good amount of gore in it but with so much comedy in it I don't think it was meant to be a serious movie.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
spoiler[I wouldn't say all the college students were antagonists, just the brother and sister. Fake martial arts girl seemed like she was just protecting her friends, and the others casualties of their callousness.]
spoiler[I was thinking of the college students as background characters with a case of bad luck and I would agree that the only two villains in this movie were the evil professor and his sister.]
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I loved the crap out of the movie (in the so bad it's good way). The schlock and cheese was piled high and the not so great translation (really just a lot of typos) came together to make me laugh my ass off.

I don't like that they generic'd up the character designs (based on art from the novels) and the animation was weak in some parts but it was such trash i had a blast taking screenshots of it and sharing them with my friends. Definitely gonna be a staple of my bad movie nights from now on.
PsylentDeath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
While the animation isn't always on point, and the subtitles are at times hilariously bad, I couldn't help but enjoy this. It has an interesting twist and I wish that there was more. I think with a proper budget this could have been a great horror series, but instead it's more half comedy and half horror, falling a bit short on both fronts. Blazing up before watching it might have made it better.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
PsylentDeath wrote:
[...] Blazing up before watching it might have made it better.

Blazing up? Huh? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2