• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Grimoire of Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oreimo may be the modern standard-bearer for "little sister" shows, but the genre goes back at least as far as [Sister Princess]. We don't have any formal reviews for this season, but it does factor into a feature article on this romantic comedy niche.

A few single volumes of Sister Princess did get reviewed in this very column, landing uniformly in Perishable territory:
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2004-10-31
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2005-01-24
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2005-03-20

At least for those who like/tolerate moe and harems, the first season is enjoyable enough as a light and fun comedy. The incest/brother-complex elements are there, but they're not too overpowering. RePure, on the other hand, is a snoozefest that doesn't have much going on other than 24/7 Big Brother Obsession. Maybe it hews closer to the game, but that doesn't make it automatically better.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
As Overlord Season 2 has shown, lizard-men protagonists are where it's at

I'm no stranger to seeing lizardmen in action. Definitely looking forward to watching the second season in English. Do you by any chance know when the home release is going to be for that?
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Do you by any chance know when the home release is going to be for that?

Don't know for sure, but i'm certain Funimation will be releasing that like they did the first season. I think maybe there was a year between the first season streaming and the bluray release? (and here i'm still waiting on a Konosuba bluray release here in the states, lol)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Don't know for sure, but i'm certain Funimation will be releasing that like they did the first season. I think maybe there was a year between the first season streaming and the bluray release? (and here i'm still waiting on a Konosuba bluray release here in the states, lol)

Eventually they will, I'm sure. I also wonder when Ancient Magus' Bride will get one too. Been waiting on that one for a while. How long has it been since Konosuba's broadcast again?
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Were I half tiger I would slice anyone who tried to "correct" the situation.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Do you by any chance know when the home release is going to be for that?

Te subbed anime premiere date and the American/Canadian home video release date is usu. between 12-15 months (some times shorter or longer).
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

zztop wrote:
Grimoire's anime only covered the 1st volume of its source light novel.
The 11th LN, which debuted in Dec 2017, appears to be the last of the series.
Most of the LNs are written as fairly episodic adventures, where 1 volume - story of the week.

Its author stated it was not easy to sell the concept of a beastman MC to his publishers; he claims it was only after much wrangling with them that they finally approved it. For a while it seemed he would have been forced to use a normal human MC per editorial request.

Japan seems to be rather anti-beastman with a lot of their anime and game productions these days. "Kemono" characters are only ever allowed to be supporting characters, not protagonists, which seems rather stupid, and they tend to get killed off after a while. Human protagonists have gotten incredibly stale and boring after so many decades of them, so a change to someone nonhuman would make it more interesting (too bad they never see it that way). The only type of beastman character that always gets a free pass in this case is, naturally, the catgirl.

The author said he purposely wanted a full-on kemono protagonist as a response to their general status as supporters/villians in Japanese fantasy works.

The editors' preference for catgirls/boys, I think has to do with a combination of risk-averseness and fantrends there. The Japanese trend for protag demihumans usually tends to be like catgirls/boys - a few animal bits like ears/tails/eyes, but otherwise human-looking in every way. Full-on animal-person like Mercenary is considered too risky to sell to the local fans.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
The author said he purposely wanted a full-on kemono protagonist as a response to their general status as supporters/villians in Japanese fantasy works.

I wish there were more authors like him. He's a guy after my own heart.

Quote:
The editors' preference for catgirls/boys, I think has to do with a combination of risk-averseness and fantrends there. The Japanese trend for protag demihumans usually tends to be like catgirls/boys - a few animal bits like ears/tails/eyes, but otherwise human-looking in every way. Full-on animal-person like Mercenary is considered too risky to sell to the local fans.

They don't seem to realize how overused and bland partially feline girls or boys are, but whatever floats the boat. I wonder why full beastly kemono are such a hard sell over there anyway, especially when there are a lot of talented individual artists who do some pretty impressive artwork of beastmen that could fit in with just about any genre of media.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Mercenary's character design was the main appeal to me for Grimorie of Zero and I was glad he was a pretty likeable character and I liked his chemistry with Zero. As far as fantasy shows go, I agree it was pretty standard and I wish it had better animation. I remember getting pretty addicted to the opening theme song when it came out though. I wish we could get more of the light novels adapted but I'm glad the anime still had a conclusive ending. I'll definitely eventually pick this up on Blu Ray and I can't wait to check out the English dub. Are the light novels available in English? I'd really love to read those.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
Being a "Sakura Quest" fan, I am waiting to re-watch the dubbed stream until after the 2nd boxset comes out here. That same week, I will watch the 1st 13 epi. then the remaining 12 the following week.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Things I am sick to my goddamn stomachs of in these otaku-written LN series:

Fetishization of slavery. It’s beyond gross. Stop it.

Sexualization of children. It’s even worse than beyond gross. Stop it.

Jokes about pedophilia. What the hell is wrong with these people?

This is what happens when media is created by otaku who have only ever been exposed to media created by other otaku. Their world becomes so insular, so reliant on increasingly unpleasant tropes, that they don’t even realize how utterly isolated they are from the rest of the world.

And yes, I realize that y’all who only consume otaku media yourselves are going to get angry at me for saying as much, and that’s part of the problem.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, I never really thought about whether the media I consume had received permission from Fluwm to exist. I'll try to be better about it. Thanks for the reminder.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Things I am sick to my goddamn stomachs of in these otaku-written LN series:

Fetishization of slavery. It’s beyond gross. Stop it.

Sexualization of children. It’s even worse than beyond gross. Stop it.

Jokes about pedophilia. What the hell is wrong with these people?

This is what happens when media is created by otaku who have only ever been exposed to media created by other otaku. Their world becomes so insular, so reliant on increasingly unpleasant tropes, that they don’t even realize how utterly isolated they are from the rest of the world.

And yes, I realize that y’all who only consume otaku media yourselves are going to get angry at me for saying as much, and that’s part of the problem.

we get it, you hate otaku
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2