• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Atsuko Enomoto Discusses #MeToo Movement, Harassment in Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Again, this is usually based on isolated incidents which the media, Japanese and foreign, like to blow out of proportion.

Hey, as long as you've got your head buried in the sand, how about looking around to see if there's any buried treasure there?
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Ok... who started planting this garbage hashtag movement over there?

Males have lost interest in females in Japanese society, for many reasons and influences. This hashtag garbage is strictly meant for further division of males and females. Just look at the sponsors. This branch of 3rd wave feminism has no other goal. What could possible result in the betterment of society from this? There is no action being taken. The only thing I see resulting from this thing is instilling an ideology that men are bad, women are victims of men ONLY. When in reality, average men in society are deeply in trouble, where as men in positions of status and wealth are abusing every level of their power, and passing the blame on to the majority. Just look at the birthrate as a tiny example.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As long as you got your head buried in the sand, how about looking around to see if there's any buried treasure there?

Easy on the snark, my dude. You cited one woman's experience, and it sounds like she sued her employer and won a case. There's a word for people who stereotype an entire group of people for the actions of one person.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

Agent355 wrote:
Are any of those women public prosecutors who refused to bring a case against a powerful rich man despite receiving clear evidence against him? No? Cy Vance is, in my opinion, the person who enabled Weinstein the most. When the law refuses to acknowledge abuse as illegal, it's hard to fight.
Who do you think has a bigger platform? Some random prosecutor or freaking Meryl Streep? At this point it doesn't matter if he's convicted or not. The guy is destroyed. His life is over. Do you not understand the court of public opinion can be 1000x more effective than the legal courts? Any one of them could have raised their voice earlier and he could have been brought down sooner.

Uh, that's not how it works. At all. It wasn't a bunch of angry rich people who had to ruin Bernie Madoff's reputation to feel a modicum of justice for being defrauded by him, it was the criminal justice system, working as it should work. Ruining someone's reputation is in no way as bad as actually arresting someone, putting them on a REAL trial, convicting them and forcing them to serve a sentence in prison. All which should have been done to Weinstein years ago. This is a poor (wo)man's "justice" for everyone who was assaulted by him. But as long as law enforcement thinks embezzlement is criminal but sexual assault isn't, this is what some victims are willing to settle for. But it's not equivalent. (see also: Bill Cosby, who was joking about using quaaludes to "convince" women to sleep with him back when he did stand up).
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Blood- wrote:
As long as you got your head buried in the sand, how about looking around to see if there's any buried treasure there?

Easy on the snark, my dude. You cited one woman's experience, and it sounds like she sued her employer and won a case. There's a word for people who stereotype an entire group of people for the actions of one person.

It isn't a one experience deal. Japan's issues with women in the workplace are well documented. See, for example, the 2017 Global Gender Gap Report, which has overall lists and individual country scores.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Wilful blindess invites snark. I have a feeling I could cite 1,000 articles like that one and you'd have the same "see no evil" response. I really despise that kind of ignorance. It make me want to puke. Anyway, don't worry, I recognize that you are the type of person who can never be convinced of something he/she doesn't want to believe and there is no point wasting any more time with a mentality like that.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2016/04/08/editorials/still-a-struggle-for-working-women/#.Ws5bx8gh2kc

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/struggle-working-women-japan/

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21599763-womens-lowly-status-japanese-workplace-has-barely-improved-decades-and-country

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21880124 Headline reads: Japan: The worst developed country for working mothers?

http://ideas.time.com/2011/12/11/japans-working-woman-problem/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/japanese-women-suffer-widespread-maternity-harassment-at-work
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ruining someone's reputation is in no way as bad as actually arresting someone, putting them on a REAL trial, convicting them and forcing them to serve a sentence in prison.
Well, actually it can be worse. At least in jail you have a roof over your head and they feed you. If you aren't rich then you get fired, blacklisted, lose your house and starve. The only reason Casey Anthony gets by is because she lives with that high-profile investigator that provides for her.

So yes, I will concede that for Weinstein it's better if he's convicted of something, but for the other 99% of men who aren't rich elites, just one accusation can ruin their lives.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
It isn't a one experience deal. Japan's issues with women in the workplace are well documented. See, for example, the 2017 Global Gender Gap Report, which has overall lists and individual country scores.

I alluded to this report a couple posts ago. It's absurd to believe women are better off in African countries where rape is legal, or authoritarian regimes like China, a literal patriarchy that allows newborn girls to be abandoned to die if a boy was wanted. Even Israel, the only non-Western developed country apart from Japan and South Korea, has religious leaders who support stoning women and calling them whores for not being covered enough. I wonder how well Scandinavian countries will fare after allowing themselves to be overrun with refugees who support Sharia Law.

Blood- wrote:
Wilful blindess invites snark. I have a feeling I could cite 1,000 articles like that one and you'd have the same "see no evil" response. I really despise that kind of ignorance. It make me want to puke. Anyway, don't worry, I recognize that you are the type of person who can never be convinced of something he/she doesn't want to believe and there is no point wasting any more time with a mentality like that.

Right, and journalism hasn't morphed into a soapbox to allow people to spout one-sided accusations against societies... It's not like you don't have those kind of people saying the same shit in the West about being oppressed 24/7. Alas, I suppose gender equality is all sunshine and lollipops in your little world of Canada under Justin "Peoplekind" Trudeau.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chicoms paid for these "studies" and articles for publicity and to make themselves look good and Japan bad. Them and South Korea do it all the time with Western publications, especially English-language Japanese newspapers.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

Ah, so that's what this is all about. "Waah, waah, Japan is perfect! Waah, waah, no negative reports about it could possibly be true, waah, waah! Any negativity must be a conspiracy! Waah, waah!"
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
^No, but it isn't as bad as those studies and articles claim. To wit:
Japan has its own problems which they will solve in due course, and instead of arbitrarily criticizing some in the name of virtue signaling, we should be solving our own problems, many of which we share like sexual harassment and native declining birthrates, and ones we don't like crappy infrastructure and education. Ironically, what really is keeping Japan "behind" is the bureaucracy which we installed after WWII to make changes extremely hard.

Obviously I won this argument if you're continuing to be snarky and excuse it over "willful blindness." If Japan really is that bad, stop spending your money on women oppressors and go like something else.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
It isn't a one experience deal. Japan's issues with women in the workplace are well documented. See, for example, the 2017 Global Gender Gap Report[/url], which has overall lists and individual country scores.

That's extremely misleading. Citing things like the wage gap myth, number of women in STEM fields, or lack of female CEOs is not indication of some kind of actual problem. It's only a problem to people who feel quotas need to be met. It's essentially punishing women for choosing a career they like or are good at that heavily skew female and just happen to be low paying jobs, like teachers. It in no way indicates women are being harassed en mass. If you look at actual statistics, Japan is one of the safest countries to live in. So I fully believe the Japanese industry is nowhere near the level of Hollywood. Obviously harassment exists everywhere, but there's nothing to suggest Japan is worse than western countries.

-Stuart Smith
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
^No, but it isn't as bad as those studies and articles claim. To wit:
Japan has its own problems which they will solve in due course, and instead of arbitrarily criticizing some in the name of virtue signaling, we should be solving our own problems, many of which we share like sexual harassment and native declining birthrates, and ones we don't like crappy infrastructure and education. Ironically, what really is keeping Japan "behind" is the bureaucracy which we installed after WWII to make changes extremely hard.

Obviously I won this argument if you're continuing to be snarky and excuse it over "willful blindness." If Japan really is that bad, stop spending your money on women oppressors and go like something else.

Please do not confuse my logical decision to not bother trying to debate with a mindset like yours ("conspiracy!") with winning an argument.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This thread is heading for a lock. If you want to be allpwed to continue this discussion, you need to stop insulting each other and engage with posters' ideas on their own intrinsic merits rather than making ad-hominem attacks.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chicoms paid for these studies and articles for publicity and to make themselves look good and Japan bad. Them and South Korea do it all the time with Western publications, especially English-language Japanese newspapers.

Not only that, western pundits & publishers like the ones spammed above have a natural habit of spreading and amplifying Japan’s “imminent demise” unless it unless it follows “western prescriptions” to a T when it comes to roles of men & women (“it’s obsolete, get on with the current year meme, Japan!!!), multiculturalism (“your nation will die and become poor!!! unless you follow Sweden & Germany in mass immigration) etc etc.

To those Soc. Jus. westerners with globalist mindset, Japan is an aberration. They speak of Japan as if it’s (comically) on par with the likes of true bassackwards nations like Russia, Poland, Saudi Arabia etc, and they feel the need to nudge Japan to their ways instead of letting Japan develop solutions and flourish on their terms.

Last edited by NGK on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
That's extremely misleading. Citing things like the wage gap myth, number of women in STEM fields, or lack of female CEOs is not indication of some kind of actual problem. It's only a problem to people who feel quotas need to be met. It's essentially punishing women for choosing a career they like or are good at that heavily skew female and just happen to be low paying jobs, like teachers. It in no way indicates women are being harassed en mass. If you look at actual statistics, Japan is one of the safest countries to live in. So I fully believe the Japanese industry is nowhere near the level of Hollywood. Obviously harassment exists everywhere, but there's nothing to suggest Japan is worse than western countries.

Indeed. Looking at the bigger picture, the current generation of Japan's labor pool, men and women, are less likely to pursue working in such fields. The upward "ladder of success" isn't as prevalent as "job for life" mentality with no rewards like promotions. It's changing, albeit slowly. White it's good for outsiders who aren't related to corporate dynasties, especially women, to get in executive positions, it's bad for the job security which Japan has been known for and you don't see around the world anymore. The Abe administration seems to be trying everything it can, like incentives for higher wages, but also has to address labor shortages in certain industries. It's even granting guest worker visas to Indians to fill IT positions nobody wants to pursue.

Blood- wrote:
Please do not confuse my logical decision to not bother trying to debate with a mindset like yours ("conspiracy!") with winning an argument.

My apologies. You never had an actual argument in the first place.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6