• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anime still a "nerd" thing?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenBeck0!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:50 am Reply with quote
I ponder on this as I prepare to take my oh-so-cool Cowboy Bebop: The Movie DVD to see for the billionth time with a friend (still just as cool as when I downloaded the sub and watched it with friends a billion years ago.) So here's the question and maybe ya'll can help me work my way through it: Do you still think anime is a "nerdy" thing? Or has it grown out of cliques yet? Try and keep any sorta flaming or hating out of it, my last post was locked in it's prime because it had mutated into a hateful thing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
depends on what area you live in i guess

i use to live in an area with alot of minorities(ghetto if you want to call it that Very Happy ) anyways almost every other person in that town watched anime...i think the only people that didn't watch it were white people who thought they were to cool for it(no offense to anyone)
in that town it was normal to watch anime and buy manga

i now live in a more "white town" where most people dont like anime and dont even know what it is...it really sucks
but its all good if anyone has a problem with me liking anime here and they call me a nerd...ill kick there ass to show them how nerdy i am Cool
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
depends. i know people online, who aren't anime fans will sat how anime is just for losers, nerds, etc etc. it's just a way of stereotyping, and if i were you, i wouldn't care or worry about what others thought about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Plus your stupidity is taking my time away, time I could be using complaining about Star Trek: Enterprise or the new Battlestar Galactica.

Hey, I'd give you solid reasons why Captain Archer is a better captain than Captain Pike, Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko (Commander Sisko until 2371, I know), and Captain Janeway combined, but I'm too busy planning how exactly I'm going to spend New Year's by myself in my parents' basement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
depends. i know people online, who aren't anime fans will sat how anime is just for losers, nerds, etc etc. it's just a way of stereotyping, and if i were you, i wouldn't care or worry about what others thought about it.

exactly. I've seen fans from all walks of life, the stereotypical chubby greasy still in his mom's basement kind (a friend of mine is like that), to people who you'd never guess in a million years watched it (business execs, body builders), it's just another thing people enjoy as a hobby or a passtime, nothing to be bothered about.

so basically.. no it's not a "nerd" thing, and I doubt it ever was, "nerd" is just a term applied to those who are different than the rest of "normal" society.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Hey, I'd give you solid reasons why Captain Archer is a better captain than Captain Pike, Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko (Commander Sisko until 2371, I know), and Captain Janeway combined, but I'm too busy planning how exactly I'm going to spend New Year's by myself in my parents' basement.

Pike? Let's see you got the original, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. That's all of them, isn't it? *scratches head* Who is Pike?

Anyway, I'm a nerd, so what is the big deal? Single-minded and socially inept. Yup, that's me. When someone calls me a nerd I say "Thank you." Hell, it's not often I get compared to Einstein, Newton, Gates, Franklin, etc. Wink
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Pike? Let's see you got the original, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. That's all of them, isn't it? *scratches head* Who is Pike?

Pike was before Kirk.
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I have an abnormally high intelligence (though you probably wouldn't guess so if you read my posts) so I'm always a nerd like that. Anime probably gets me a few extra stares, especially at my locker, wallpapered with my own drawings of various anime. But since I embrace my dorkiness, and have a good sense of humor of it all, people accept me as a full-on nerd, rather than rejection. When people tell me I'm a nerd, I say "Why yes I am! And look at my face! I'm pretty damn ugly, too!" A sense of humor goes a long way. (Pulls courdoroy pants up past belly button, secures pocket protector, and heads for nearest public transit station)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:37 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I have an abnormally high intelligence (though you probably wouldn't guess so if you read my posts) so I'm always a nerd like that. Anime probably gets me a few extra stares, especially at my locker, wallpapered with my own drawings of various anime. But since I embrace my dorkiness, and have a good sense of humor of it all, people accept me as a full-on nerd, rather than rejection. When people tell me I'm a nerd, I say "Why yes I am! And look at my face! I'm pretty damn ugly, too!" A sense of humor goes a long way. (Pulls courdoroy pants up past belly button, secures pocket protector, and heads for nearest public transit station)

Welcome to the "brotherhood of the nerd" Wink Laughing

pike was captain in the first episode only, they switched him to shatner for some reason I can't remember, probably ratings. but let's keep this on topic.
Shadowwave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure adolescence and sterotypes are nerds. just people having trouble finding a plot point.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The thing about nerds, geeks & anime isn't as clear cut as you make it out to be, and nor was it ever that clear cut.

In fact, I'd say that anime was never a "nerd-thing." (I'm also not a big fan of the label nerd for that matter.)

First off, let's address the derogatory side of "nerds & geeks." One might say that most nerds and geeks are socially inept. So they tend to withdraw and focus on non-social hobbies. Be it anime, sci-fi, computers or model building.

Now lets look at somethign a little more positive. Since anime still isn't mainstream outside of children's entertainment (Yugioh, Pokemon, DBZ, etc...) those that are interested in it tend to be those that are more open to different things. People defined as nerds or geeks tend to be more open to different things. Often times it is their adoption of the non-common and their rebuttal of the accepted that makes them a nerd or a geek.

So labelling anime as a "nerd-thing" is a bit like associating artists with lunatics. Sure, a lot of lunatics tend to focus on arts (and cut off their ears), but there certainly are a lot of "normal" people that can create wonderful works of art. Point being, Anime is not a "nerd thing" and it never was, it's something that a lot of nerds (and geek-culture, a term I like much more) like, but it's not because they're nerds, but rather because of certain traits whic are common to all sorts of people and very common to ... "nerds."
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:14 pm Reply with quote
RantingOtaku wrote:
Welcome to the "brotherhood of the nerd" Wink Laughing

A brotherhood which is willing to save anyone who wishes to be saved. Laughing

But, hey, nerds are cool though. I'm a nerd and proud. In fact, to be specific, I'm a band dork! Yeah! Surprised

Tempest wrote:
First off, let's address the derogatory side of "nerds & geeks." One might say that most nerds and geeks are socially inept. So they tend to withdraw and focus on non-social hobbies. Be it anime, sci-fi, computers or model building.

Those people (and punks, usually) are around the greatest people to be around, some of the funniest stuff happens to. Like, people getting their heads stuck in windows that the driver controls. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:05 am Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
In fact, to be specific, I'm a band dork! Yeah! Surprised

Yup... been a band geek.

Hell, I even play bagpipes... how much of a dork does that make me?
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:14 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
Carol Maxwell wrote:
In fact, to be specific, I'm a band dork! Yeah! Surprised

Yup... been a band geek.

Hell, I even play bagpipes... how much of a dork does that make me?

A Scottish Band Dork?? I don't know. But, I know someone who's learning to play bagpipes, so, it's cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
Nicely put Tempest!

"Be it anime, sci-fi, computers or model building" ummm, I do all of these, I most certainly qualify for the term, and could care less, I'm happy with who I am Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8