• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Went Wrong in Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Nick D wrote:
how does she feel about her sister in this world having canonically been raped by their past masters

Other than Nidoren, the slave trader who picked them up, and whover it was kep them locked up in a tower after her country was taken over, Satou is their first master.

wastrel wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
How I long for the days of wholesome anime fetishes ... like tentacles.

Soon they will be enslaved tentacles.

That.. does kinda happen in Isekai Maou actually,

Yune Amagiri wrote:
Pochi and Tama are actually Humanfolk born with Bestfolk's attribute , and that's why they were abandonned at birth, it was also said in the LN that there was no others case of such mutation aside them

Unless I am badly mis-remembering it is the other way around, and they are just the only two in this country; I'm fairly certain there are others.

Denys Lalande wrote:
On the slavery issue: It's kind of a sad comment on the topic when the "best" (which here means "*least* blatantly insulting") approach to the problem comes from the infamous _Paladin of Shadows_ novels by John Ringo[*]: "Buy the slaves; bring them back to the base; get them Actual Educations in Business, or Law, or the sciences; then get them hired into jobs in those fields". Compared to that, this series -- if there was an anime equivalent to the Nuremberg Trials, this series would be in the dock....

Funny you should mention that because spoiler[Satou actually does do a lot of that way down the line in the WN].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
You're right, they are just the only two in this country born with this anomaly, to avoid confusion i should have add this yes
"These two appear to be humanfolk but have the ears and tails of beastfolk, so they were abandoned at birth... Still, they're good girls, so please do not look poorly upon them,” Liza said to Arisa and Lulu. "
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
You say that like Free wasn’t criticized by some male fans for not appealing to them, and I remember the flack Yuri on Ice got from some after it won last year’s anime awards because it featured a gay couple.
The level of criticism was less though and that is especially true when it comes to professional reviewers. The argument that a show is bad when it is made to appeal to men is increasingly treated as a valid complaint with a growing number of professional reviewers.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Plus Re:Zero was in the top 5 of three reviewers on this site for 2016, two of which were women. The main reason that stuff on the level of Death March is poorly regarded is clearly quality.
Fair point about Re:Zero though there were plenty of negative comments being made about that show when it first started airing.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
In Another World With My Smartphone questioned whether or not anime should still be allowed to exist.

I larfed. I will not defend Death March's many flaws but I will say I continue to watch it, unironically. Bizarrely, the mundane stuff like "dealing with a real estate" agent is the stuff I enjoy most. Don't ask me why. And I adore the loli slave girls.

i liked both series. for one thing they were definitely out of the ordinary when it comes to isekai type harem series.

also what make both series likeable is that both MC's are anything but the uber shy/girl phobic & dense/oblivious types ala the masaki brothers , ichika orimura from IS , danmachi's bell & index/raiulgun's touma kamajo , nor are they super perverts ala dxd's issei or trinity seven's arata. so at least both series have THAT going for them.

Quote:
Look, I like dom women as much as the next guy, but it'd be nice if they weren't 11, you know?

easier said that done. like it or not , but a majority of the guys that like ecchi/fanservice harem type series will ALWAYS like any type of loli fanservice.

and in this case its pretty clear the animators and author have probably seen a lot of loli fanservice series like Kodomo no Jikan as well as some ero loli visual novel series like Choisuji & Shoujo Ramune to even consider THIS!

while it will definitely offend some, others like myself, not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
@Shay Guy: your link is a nice explanation to the slave-ownership trope.

From that link:
Quote:
ower over a human being that he's never experienced in his home world. The protagonist often ends up owning slaves himself, and just as often they willingly want to remain as his slaves.

Some people forget that sometimes a real slave may do this even if their master seeks to have that slave freed. Yes, that slave could be well aware of the human rights issues with slavery and lack of legal consequences for the owner that mistreats them. However, they might still choose to be a slave girl

The above link could have similar applications to the harem genre. In the defense of harems, the lead guy is often beat up when he acts pervy. Also, the girls sometimes could always live him in-story if they wanted to.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@Shay Guy: your link is a nice explanation to the slave-ownership trope.

From that link:
Quote:
ower over a human being that he's never experienced in his home world. The protagonist often ends up owning slaves himself, and just as often they willingly want to remain as his slaves.

Some people forget that sometimes a real slave may do this even if their master seeks to have that slave freed. Yes, that slave could be well aware of the human rights issues with slavery and lack of legal consequences for the owner that mistreats them. However, they might still choose to be a slave girl

The above link could have similar applications to the harem genre. In the defense of harems, the lead guy is often beat up when he acts pervy. Also, the girls sometimes could always live him in-story if they wanted to.

Huh? If someone's choices equate to "current circumstances vs. Unknown circumstances that might get worse", they will always choose the status quo. But the writer is talking about fictional circumstances in which the protagonist knows this situation is wrong for everyone involved, but does nothing to change it for anyone, and in doing so seems to argue that "as long as my slaves are treated well and seem happy, slavery overall isn't that bad." The "slave" character is not in the position to change anything, except *maybe* their own circumstances, and, because of the set-up of the world, they barely have a choice. And this is true in real life as well.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
also what make both series likeable is that both MC's are anything but the uber shy/girl phobic & dense/oblivious types ala the masaki brothers , ichika orimura from IS , danmachi's bell & index/raiulgun's touma kamajo , nor are they super perverts ala dxd's issei or trinity seven's arata. so at least both series have THAT going for them.

To be fair, Arata's perviness is everything Trinity Seven had going for it. Mainly when that grimoire awakened as his sidekick.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nothing makes my eyes roll faster than the complaint about the MC's thought about the tavern owner being his type if she was slimmer. It was his actual THOUGHT not spoken word. It appears men can no longer have their own preferences in whom they're attracted to without being called a dick. -_-
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm entertained so far, so nothing is wrong with it.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Nothing makes my eyes roll faster than the complaint about the MC's thought about the tavern owner being his type if she was slimmer. It was his actual THOUGHT not spoken word. It appears men can no longer have their own preferences in whom they're attracted to without being called a dick. -_-

That's fair, but it's also fair to wonder why the writers included that line in his inner monologue.--to make him more relatable to the audience, to develop his character in some way, or to make him seem like a jerk? A character like Gintoki from Gintama or the MC of Konosuba might think or even say something like that, but the purpose is usually to comedically reinforce that they're jerks. It's certainly not Jerky to think like that in real life, but when writers include that line, it's presumably to say something about their character.
Texas84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Love this show. It's mindless no stress fun after a long day at work. Don't overthink it, just lie back in the recliner and relax.
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:

That's fair, but it's also fair to wonder why the writers included that line in his inner monologue.--to make him more relatable to the audience, to develop his character in some way, or to make him seem like a jerk?

Well, the first thing that springs to my mind is that we're being reminded that his sexual preference is for women old enough to be mothers.

After all, the triggering image comes from the second episode. In the first episode there was a segment where he puts his lunch aside to help a lost little girl. After the girl's mother mother appears that segment ends with his thinking the mother was "pretty hot". How many times do they have to demonstrate this to make that aspect of his character clear?

It's fair to wonder why the writers put things in. I think fairness also requires us to pay attention to what's been presented and think about it instead of just reacting because our buttons got pushed.
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
@Yune Amagiri: In the "pure" sense, "isekai" simply means "other world," and there are lots of variations as noted, like KonoSuba and Youjo Senki, but also there's unique stuff like No Game No Life, Accel World, Hataraku Maou-sama, even Western shows like King Arthur and the Knights of Justice (YEAAAHHH EARLY 90S SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS!!!).

However, I would say the "isekai hate" is specifically aimed at the glut of "isekai medieval fantasy JRPG world with superpowerful protagonists." Where KonoSuba is satirical and Re:Zero deconstructive, more "typical" examples like SAO, Death March, Overlord, Log Horizon, Shield Hero, Smart Phone, and many more are all variations on the same theme: character(s) from our contemporary reality are somehow transported/trapped in a medieval fantasy world that either is a game, resembles a game, or somehow has a lot of game-like functions. Grancrest Senki is a straight fantasy that still uses Crests in a pretty game-like manner. DanMachi doesn't even try to pretend and just has a straight up character sheet and leveling system.

It's just the current "thing." A few years ago, the fad was "the most unique power while enrolled in a special powers high school (and sometimes the only male in an all-female school)," popular ones being Zero no Tsukaima, Index, Mahouka, Asterisk, Soul Eater, Infinite Stratos, but also lots of "meh" shows or dregs, such as Absolute Duo, Hundred, Unlimited Fafnir, Sky Wizards Academy, etc.

After isekai dies down we'll just be waiting for the next anime schtick.

I have to disagree with your grouping. I'd put Log Horizon up with KonoSuba and Re:Zero given the economics and other functions it goes into sets it apart as well.

Isekai can be done well, either subverted/parodied like KonoSuba and Re:Zero, focusing on unique aspects like Log Horizon's economics and politicking, or playing it totally straight like Overlord...

I'd also remove Soul Eater from your second list, since you seem to be targeting the OP protagonist in a magic/scifi/etc school light novel adaptations, and soul eater is a good deal different in style, source, and protagonists than the rest.

I really liked Log Horizon and can rewatch it over and over again, but I can barely stand SAO or it's other look-a-likes that it spawned, and while I can't find a good way to separate out Log Horizon from the list, it just doesn't feel like it belongs there.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
However, I would say the "isekai hate" is specifically aimed at the glut of "isekai medieval fantasy JRPG world with superpowerful protagonists."
I would say that it is an issue that some people really hate male power fantasies and the harem isekai shows are usually direct about that issue.

Agent355 wrote:
That's fair, but it's also fair to wonder why the writers included that line in his inner monologue.--to make him more relatable to the audience, to develop his character in some way, or to make him seem like a jerk?
It was to make Satou more relatable to the audience and to indicate what type of women he prefers. A similar situation happened in episode 8 when Satou commented on the homunculus Nana.

Hehaho1830 wrote:
I really liked Log Horizon and can rewatch it over and over again, but I can barely stand SAO or it's other look-a-likes that it spawned, and while I can't find a good way to separate out Log Horizon from the list, it just doesn't feel like it belongs there.
I think both shows are great but they are very different. Log Horizon is a show that shifts perspective between several protagonists and deals with economics, humanity, and the responsibility of power. SAO is a show about a traditional male hero with a story structure that has been popular for thousands of years but updated for the 21st century. SAO also has a light coating of harem elements though I think it is tame when compared to many recent isekai shows.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
SleepySkull wrote:
After all, the triggering image comes from the second episode. In the first episode there was a segment where he puts his lunch aside to help a lost little girl. After the girl's mother mother appears that segment ends with his thinking the mother was "pretty hot". How many times do they have to demonstrate this to make that aspect of his character clear?

That’s actually anime original; in the LN there was only a brief flashback to his original world and he never left his desk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4