• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Technical Failures

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
While I agree the battle system was a mess that definitely should've been left on the cutting room floor that along with the needlessly bloated party.

The battle system wasn't too bad. It was easy to get into, though that's just me. Some party members didn't need to be in there, I agree, but there were some great ones too.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It's really one of the reasons I loved it so much back when it hit U.S. shores in the summer of 2000. It was complex in its framework, at least to my teenage mind, and it made me really wonder about what choices I make vs. the ones I don't make. Honestly, it takes more than one playthrough of the game to fully understand the themes they implemented, kind of like how I had to watch RahXephon twice to make sense out of the whole thing.

Yeah, it's definitely cut from Square' golden age when they were dipping their toes into more complex themes about existence, which gave us classics like Xenogears, FFVII, and even cult hits like Parasite Eve, Front Mission III, and Saga Frontier. Plus I'll give Kato credit for daring to skewer the sacred cow by challenging Chrono Trigger instead of putting it on a pedestal, saying that regardless of intentions of Crono and the others there would inevitably be repercussions. It was also neat to see them take an FFVI approach to the party dynamics and have a large suite of characters with their own little stories, though if anything they probably should have trimmed some so we could get more in depth with the more interesting ones.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Yeah, it's definitely cut from Square' golden age when they were dipping their toes into more complex themes about existence, which gave us classics like Xenogears, FFVII, and even cult hits like Parasite Eve, Front Mission III, and Saga Frontier. Plus I'll give Kato credit for daring to skewer the sacred cow by challenging Chrono Trigger instead of putting it on a pedestal, saying that regardless of intentions of Crono and the others there would inevitably be repercussions. It was also neat to see them take an FFVI approach to the party dynamics and have a large suite of characters with their own little stories, though if anything they probably should have trimmed some so we could get more in depth with the more interesting ones.

Right? I consider it one of my high points of gaming in 2000, along with Legend of Mana and Threads of Fate. Kudos for mentioning SaGa Frontier as well. That game really could stand to be redone from the ground up and include everything that had to be excluded from the retail release. I also consider Parasite Eve to be the best of Aya's short-lived series.

The playable cast in Chrono Cross could have definitely used some cutting down (Turnip really was one of the most pointless and stupid members, especially since you get him so late and his entire backstory is that he's simply a mutated turnip being), but at least there was still lots of good ones. A lot of concepts and other tidbits were cut in the development phase; Zoah, one of my favorite characters, actually had a very interesting backstory to him that got completely axed from the final product, so he's as mysterious as his unseen face in the helmet he wears.
Rechtsschutz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this verry interesting forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2