• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kim Kardashian Colors Hair Pink Due to Anime 'Obsession'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I nothing the Kardashians and the only thing I know about them is the articles I happen to stumble upon sometimes. I've never seen their show or read their tweets so I can't say if she's ever mentioned she was "obsessed" with anime before. The thing is, giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she wasn't an anime fan before, but maybe one caught her attention and now she's into it. Yeah they come off as attention-wh* res, but maybe just maybe she could be telling the truth?
Either way, kudos to her if she's really a fan or boo on her if she's just bullsh* tting everyone.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Alright boys, we're all familiar with how this goes by now, we've seen it with video games and comics. First celebrities talk in mass about how they like your medium, then the mainstream media starts talking about it, then the mainstream media starts criticizing everything that's "wrong" with it, then fans fight back the attack on their geek/sub-culture. After this, the media will write en mass about how all otaku are sexist, misogynist, racist, white males who hate women and don't want anyone to share their hobby. Then political and social pressure groups and American corporations will start pushing political correctness down our throats until the medium is finally "appropriate" for everyone.

It will start soon. Actually, its already showing signs of starting:
https://www.geek.com/culture/what-kim-kardashian-liking-anime-means-for-geek-culture-1732599/

Exactly what popped in my head when I saw this article. I'm absolutely terrified.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
animefanworrie wrote:

It will start soon. Actually, its already showing signs of starting:
https://www.geek.com/culture/what-kim-kardashian-liking-anime-means-for-geek-culture-1732599/

Exactly what popped in my head when I saw this article. I'm absolutely terrified.

Quote:
Now if Kim says she likes dubs over subs, we might have a problem.

I have to admit, this made me laugh.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
That fan must have been high or he/she is just incredibly stupid because kim kardashian doesn’t look anything like an anime character unless of course that said “anime character” is a hobbit. Laughing

I'm still wondering whether Kim genuinely believes those extra things on her head are "nekomimi" cat ears, or hair buns like Chibi-Usa had.
Someone tell me, I honestly don't know. Shocked
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, first the Morbid Angel shirt, and now this...

Well Kim, if you're really into anime (and death metal), cool for you.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
This makes me ashamed about being an anime fan.

...Some of the reactions in this thread, that is. Not her.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Yet a lot of male anime nerds seem threatened by a woman liking cartoons for some reason.
I think it has a lot more to do with that woman being Kim Kardashian since she knows how to promote herself on social media. That makes it hard to tell if she is sincere about what she says on social media or if it was simply a calculated move to get a bit more fame. In comparison when Britney Spears showed off the anime drawings her children made most people thought it was cute.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Alright boys, we're all familiar with how this goes by now, we've seen it with video games and comics. First celebrities talk in mass about how they like your medium, then the mainstream media starts talking about it, then the mainstream media starts criticizing everything that's "wrong" with it, then fans fight back the attack on their geek/sub-culture. After this, the media will write en mass about how all otaku are sexist, misogynist, racist, white males who hate women and don't want anyone to share their hobby. Then political and social pressure groups and American corporations will start pushing political correctness down our throats until the medium is finally "appropriate" for everyone.

I assure you, there's never going to be an "AnimeGate", that would require Japan to listen to western views, which isn't going to happen. Stuff like GamerGate was about the western half of the industry, since the Japanese side still did their thing like they always did, much to the chagrin of western complainers.

The closest it would ever come to would be the licensing industry. Online communities like ANN pressuring Seven Seas to drop Kodono no Jikan, Funimantion inserting politics into dubs, and etcetera, but chances are people who would care enough about stuff like that aren't watching dubs or care about American releases anyway.

Anime's mainstream status here will only lead to cringey things like this or "Pokemon Go to the polls!" There's nothing to worry about. Besides, websites already label anime fans are sexist, racist, nazis, including here. We've been at that point for years.

-Stuart Smith
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
This makes me ashamed about being an anime fan.

...Some of the reactions in this thread, that is. Not her.

I know the 'I can't like anime if she likes' remarks are bad enough now we have 'the liberals are coming for my animes' remarks.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think it has a lot more to do with that woman being Kim Kardashian since she knows how to promote herself on social media. That makes it hard to tell if she is sincere about what she says on social media or if it was simply a calculated move to get a bit more fame. In comparison when Britney Spears showed off the anime drawings her children made most people thought it was cute.
Yet no one questioned Michael B Jordan's anime love in spite of not even watching Naruto on an official streaming site.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well that was cathartic. A whole slew of pointless or nerd rage posts and responses to them are gone. Seriously, the way some of you are acting over this article is just astounding. So let's cool the nerd rage. There's enough in the Darling in the Franxxx review thread to go around as is.
returnal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
i don't care about her, and definitely don't care about franxx, but this is honest to god pretty cool. good for her.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
We already know Killmonger is an anime fan. Coincidence? Laughing

Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Yet no one questioned Michael B Jordan's anime love in spite of not even watching Naruto on an official streaming site.
Well Michael B. Jordan is a famous Hollywood actor and he has been tweeting about anime for years. So that is not quite the same thing as when Kim Kardashian posts a single vague tweet about anime. Still I do understand the issue that people have with the idea of gatekeepers but most of the posts in this thread were just comedic reactions to the news.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
On celebrities liking anime: If it was a member of the Trump Admin that was headlined in this article, we would have gotten maybe over 5 pages of comments by now.

Does Barron count?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4