• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Has Black Clover Gotten Better?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Also helps that a decent supporting cast starts overshadowing Asta. Seriously Asta is by far the worst part of this show next to sister lover & the less of him the better.

The less of Asta, or the less of the siscon? Because to be fair, even if I hated him, I'd take Asta any day of the week over the show's most one-dimensional character.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Another thing I really liked about the show so far too is how it used some of it's anime original stuff. I was a really big fan of the extended flashback from episode 2, most of episode 3 which gave us lots of great YunoxAsta moments and the original arc they gave Yuno on episode 12 and 13. I feel it answered one of the fans biggest minus with the early chapters of the manga which was the big lack of Yuno.

Other then that I really like how the show nailed Asta's charisma in the latest episodes. I know it's cool for people to hate on Asta's VA because it's an easy scapegoat for many, but I really like the job he's doing personally. He fits Asta so well and really nails his bigger moments. He is doing a great job. So is Dallas Reid for the English dub. Actually both the Japanese and English dub have great VAs in general.

BC as a really fun cast and reading the manga, I know how well this cast is built upon. They all have a great dynamic between each other.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Also helps that a decent supporting cast starts overshadowing Asta. Seriously Asta is by far the worst part of this show next to sister lover & the less of him the better.

The less of Asta, or the less of the siscon? Because to be fair, even if I hated him, I'd take Asta any day of the week over the show's most one-dimensional character.

Well I mean Asta but I get what you mean about siscon. Sadly next arc is siscon's arc & uh this is more bad news here.

Siscon appears to be a vital character to the series myth-arc so he's not even gonna be a gag character. He might actually be a main character soon enough.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Something I find is weird, but in a good way, is that at around Chapter 120, Black Clover's quality suddenly does a 180 and gets a LOT better. It's still as formulaic as ever, but it doesn't roll around in them like they're the greatest things ever anymore, it starts deconstructing its own setting, and people use their powers a lot better. I get the feeling that Yuki Tabata was afraid of losing his readership if he strayed off the beaten path but grew some confidence somewhere along the way and is now telling the story he wanted to tell from the start.

I actually liked Magna though, and I always have. I think it's because he has the same underdog origins as Asta but is a lot less annoying. And while they play up the whole "commoners have less magic than the other classes" thing, you don't really see that put to narrative use except with Magna, whose fighting style really DOES show that he's got a lot less raw power than even most of his comrades in the Black Bulls but compensates for it by having practiced harder at it.

CaRoss wrote:
Black Clover would have been such a better series if Noelle was made the central viewpoint character.

She's the exact sort of underdog that Shonen Jump thrives off of - having far more in common with Naruto and Izuku than Asta does - and would be such a great protagonist to follow.

That said, Black Clover as it is now is just a mediocre shonen romp that has some absolutely fantastic moments as it goes along, but nothing that really manages to stay consistent and elevate the story beyond its basest instincts.

Not to worry, Noelle will get more focus later on. She is essentially the deuteragonist of the series. She currently has to defrost. (Also, as formulaic as the series is, and as Asta is, Asta actually undergoes a pretty unconventional way of increasing difficulty: Asta largely remains at the level of strength that he is as his adversaries get smarter.)

Essentially, the way the beginning arcs of Black Clover go, and I think this is quite apparent from the anime so far, is that each arc features Asta and one or more of the other Black Bulls characters. Problem is that there are too many of them (there are 11 members including Asta and Yami, last I counted) for there to be an arc for each of them.

Scion Drake wrote:
The pacing is genuinely awful. Its like watching modern One Piece & I hate modern One Piece. There's a reason why One Piece was canned from Toonami.

Just want to point out one thing: One Piece was dropped from Toonami before they went to one chapter per episdoe. It had been a ratings sink ever since the Davy Back Fight arc ended.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Well I mean Asta but I get what you mean about siscon. Sadly next arc is siscon's arc & uh this is more bad news here.

Siscon appears to be a vital character to the series myth-arc so he's not even gonna be a gag character. He might actually be a main character soon enough.

If you've noticed the pattern, each Black Clover arc here in the early stages gives a spotlight on a member of the supporting cast, Noelle, Magna, Luck, Charmy in the currently airing stuff. Gauche (Siscon) comes next and it's his chance to actually shine as a deeper character. (Finral and Vanessa get their moments too of course.)

The studio producing this does not understand subtly, what are quick one word jokes in then manga are repeated a dozen times in the show unbtil they become annoying and you think it's all the character does. If you noticed EP 21 Captain Charlotte said "Call me Captain" nearly a dozen times. That joke happened in one manga panel and that was it, she barely spoke the rest of the arc, the same with Asta yelling about Wizard King, he says it a lot more in the anime than he does in the manga, in the manga it's the Equivalent of Luffy saying he's gonna be Pirate King, it's used to exclamation point a big moment during a confrontation. Gauche shtick about being too loving is mostly a background element that happens 3-4 times before his arc, as a matter of fact he's barely in the manga prior to that usually only appearing in the between arc transitions as a background character to drop his joke and move on till next time.

Fortunately he gets his moment to be more than just an obsessed older brother in the next arc, it also gives a reason he's so obsessive as he is. Perhaps I'm a bad source though since he's my favorite character.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
If you've noticed the pattern, each Black Clover arc here in the early stages gives a spotlight on a member of the supporting cast, Noelle, Magna, Luck, Charmy in the currently airing stuff. Gauche (Siscon) comes next and it's his chance to actually shine as a deeper character. (Finral and Vanessa get their moments too of course.)

Too bad it took until spoiler[the current arc for Gordon and Grey to FINALLY get their arc.]
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
If the anime went as fast as Tabata did in the manga people would complain that it never gives the cast a time to breathe. Any dramatic emotional moment was quickly tackled way too fast. The cut throat nature of jump constantly caused series to start off too fast.

I think the anime is great amd does skew toward a younger crowd. I think that as well as people are unable to view it on its own which cloud peoples view of the series.
Young folks these days would have not seen early one piece, naruto, bleach, etc. We see the same complaints that people made towards world trigger.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the anime went as fast as Tabata did in the manga people would complain that it never gives the cast a time to breathe. Any dramatic emotional moment was quickly tackled way too fast. The cut throat nature of jump constantly caused series to start off too fast.

I completely disagree. People's number one complaint in comparing the manga to the anime is the pacing. The youtube anime community has spoken to this repeatedly and so did this article.

Ask yourself this question, what is better? A faster paced, tight, well-executed familiar story? Or a dragged out, terribly paced and executed, cliched story that seems to do nothing original and dwells in its unoriginality? The big dramatic moments you are afraid of them "quickly" tackling aren't even that great in the manga. They are predictable, tired, and old. So it would have been in Black Clover's best INTEREST to get through them quickly. The sooner they get to the better arcs would only help the anime.

Quote:
I think the anime is great amd does skew toward a younger crowd. I think that as well as people are unable to view it on its own which cloud peoples view of the series.
Young folks these days would have not seen early one piece, naruto, bleach, etc. We see the same complaints that people made towards world trigger.

I am so confused by this part of your comment I am unsure where to begin....Just because something "skews towards a younger crowd" doesn't mean the pacing and execution can't be better. This is a Shonen series, of COURSE it is aimed at a younger audience. My Hero Academia is in the same boat, yet it does not face the same criticisms as Black Clover. Why do you think that is?

The anime is an adaptation, so of course people can't view it as its own thing. Additionally, it has done NOTHING to separate itself from being compared to its source material. The choices made in adapting Black Clover have been so astounding I honestly sometimes wonder if Studio Perriot WANT it to fail. Why, when you have a 50 episode series, would you not adapt as much content as possible? There were roughly 130 chapters when the series started airing, meaning that there would be around 180 when the anime finished? Why only adapt 2 chapters per episode maximum? Why?

And don't think for a second that people dislike the anime because of comparisons to the manga. The majority of the anime community had never even read the manga before the anime was released. They dislike it because of the pacing, characters, and overall mind-numbing execution.

Now for the last part of you comment...the most confusing part...while it is true that younger anime fans had not seen One Piece, Bleach, or Naruto...what does that prove? What are you saying? That they don't recognize the cliches? Maybe, but I think younger anime fans are smart enough to see a badly adapted story, especially when they have examples of My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Food Wars, and Haikyuu adapting the material right.

And what about World Trigger? I am so confused....of course you see the "same complaints." It is a fair comparison to make with Black Clover. A manga that had merits but ultimately suffered a terrible anime adaptation (also see Toriko).

In the end I have no idea what you are arguing...I am not telling you not to like Black Clover. Like what you like. But I just don't understand your argument about why people are wrong about Black Clover...
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
There is more to pacing than content covered based on a chapter per episode count. I think peoples deeper complaints are actually about the nature of the series (it being a synthesis of the commonalities of shonen jump action series) and not the glacial pacing they spout monotonously every episode.

I dont think people should somehow kid themselves into thinking if it somehow did 5 to 8 chapters an episode that BLack Clover would magically be an ultra original series. Part of its enjoyment is how familiar and comfortable it is. Nothing needs to be groundbreaking to be entertaining. Just see heroaca a series capitalizing on marvels heavy innudation of superheroes (and also, in the writers words, inspired by naruto) and not doing anything new to see how something generic and familiar has become popular and saved horikoshi from failing for his third jump attempt as an example.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Black Clover would have been such a better series if Noelle was made the central viewpoint character.

She's the exact sort of underdog that Shonen Jump thrives off of - having far more in common with Naruto and Izuku than Asta does - and would be such a great protagonist to follow.

That said, Black Clover as it is now is just a mediocre shonen romp that has some absolutely fantastic moments as it goes along, but nothing that really manages to stay consistent and elevate the story beyond its basest instincts.

one problem with that. she is a noble with magic talent while naruto , izuku and asta have ZERO talent and basically have to crawl from the ground up to get to their ultimate goal.

not to mention that her personality is that of a tsundere which will annoy people from time to time (ie: how sakura was in the original series) so yea. having her as the protagonist will not work by a longshot. besides its a shonen jump title and they all have the main protagonist as a male character while tsundere type girls like noelle as their primary love interests and i dont think their going to change that formula anytime soon just to appease a few disappointed fans when it have worked very well for them so far.

Quote:
I'll give Asta this much: he knows what he wants from life. Now if he could only find the monster who replaced his voice box with a broken accordion.

now i wouldn't go that far. sure the japanese voice over for asta definitely leaves something to be desired, but he's sure as hell not THAT atrocious.

at least the english dub voice for asta is much better and is liked by even japanese fans over there which is saying a lot and a VERY EXTREMELY rare occasion since the last time any english dub series was well received by the highly critical japanese fans were the dub versions of FMA , Hellsing , Black Lagoon and the ADV Films rewriting of ghost stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
CaRoss wrote:

one problem with that. she is a noble with magic talent while naruto , izuku and asta have ZERO talent and basically have to crawl from the ground up to get to their ultimate goal.

not to mention that her personality is that of a tsundere which will annoy people from time to time (ie: how sakura was in the original series) so yea. having her as the protagonist will not work by a longshot. besides its a shonen jump title and they all have the main protagonist as a male character while tsundere type girls like noelle as their primary love interests and i dont think their going to change that formula anytime soon just to appease a few disappointed fans when it have worked very well for them so far.

Quote:
I'll give Asta this much: he knows what he wants from life. Now if he could only find the monster who replaced his voice box with a broken accordion.

now i wouldn't go that far. sure the japanese voice over for asta definitely leaves something to be desired, but he's sure as hell not THAT atrocious.

at least the english dub voice for asta is much better and is liked by even japanese fans over there which is saying a lot and a VERY EXTREMELY rare occasion since the last time any english dub series was well received by the highly critical japanese fans were the dub versions of FMA , Hellsing , Black Lagoon and the ADV Films rewriting of ghost stories.

Medaka box had a female lead

Promised neverland has a female lead.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
CaRoss wrote:

Quote:

Medaka box had a female lead

Promised neverland has a female lead.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
The anime is an adaptation, so of course people can't view it as its own thing. Additionally, it has done NOTHING to separate itself from being compared to its source material. The choices made in adapting Black Clover have been so astounding I honestly sometimes wonder if Studio [Pierrot] WANT it to fail. Why, when you have a 50 episode series, would you not adapt as much content as possible? There were roughly 130 chapters when the series started airing, meaning that there would be around 180 when the anime finished? Why only adapt 2 chapters per episode maximum? Why?

While the pacing could be improved, rushing to finish the material has its downsides beyond episode to episode pacing. First, if they were aiming get as many chapters done within 51 episodes, the fastest they could go without overshooting would be...3 chapters an episode, unless they wanted to split some chapters up, and after seeing fractions of a chapter per episode in One Piece, I don't think that is advisable. Second, planning to adapt past what is out prior to the anime starting means that the anime could end in the middle of an arc, unless the author knows they are going to end one about where the anime will or you just make an anime original end, which at best would need to be retconned upon a second season - like Blue Exorcist - and at worst is not very good - like Twin Star Exorcists. It seems better to plan on hitting what you know to be a good stopping point than rush to get as much as you can. Third, finishing all the available material or nearly so means that more filler or more time in between seasons would be necessary if more were being produced. I'm not saying they have gotten right here but there are reasons they can't go too fast.

@jr240483 As for the possibility of a tsundere female lead, I don't think it is that much of a long shot, given Inu x Boku SS had just that, and I thought it was an interesting exploration of the character type for it, among other things. While it wasn't Jump, it did run in a shonen magazine. Doesn't hurt that the lead role naturally lent her more interiority than most such characters get. Also it seems odd to dismiss the idea of a tsundere female lead for annoying people time to time, when many find Asta annoying, period.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Ask yourself this question, what is better? A faster paced, tight, well-executed familiar story? Or a dragged out, terribly paced and executed, cliched story that seems to do nothing original and dwells in its unoriginality?

That's a pretty loaded question. It's like asking, "Which is better, a juicy, succulent, perfectly-seasoned steak, or a bland, slightly stale, overly salty, somewhat lukewarm rack of ribs?" when the intended question is "Do you prefer steak or ribs?"

Connor Dino wrote:
The anime is an adaptation, so of course people can't view it as its own thing. Additionally, it has done NOTHING to separate itself from being compared to its source material. The choices made in adapting Black Clover have been so astounding I honestly sometimes wonder if Studio Perriot WANT it to fail. Why, when you have a 50 episode series, would you not adapt as much content as possible? There were roughly 130 chapters when the series started airing, meaning that there would be around 180 when the anime finished? Why only adapt 2 chapters per episode maximum? Why?

While I do not think Pierrot made the right decision to slow down Black Clover to the extent that it did, I can see the logic behind it. Namely, Pierrot is an old studio and set in its ways--Black Clover is intended to run all year round, without any season breaks. They're making a decision to try to never overtake the manga and without making large filler arcs. They're essentially copying from Toei's book with how that studio is handling One Piece (though the animation in Black Clover is much better).

Pierrot also comes across to me as a company that is very much scared and on the defensive. Ever since Naruto ended (and we can see just how desperate the guys at Pierrot were to stretch it out for as long as possible), the company's business decisions have been to try to seek out the next hit and play everything as safely as possible so as not to lose it...while, for some reason, refusing to acknowledge the popularity of Mr. Osomatsu (though it may be because the show is a magnet for controversy).

I personally believe Black Clover could've been executed much better were it to run on the season system the way My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan are. The flaws of the source material will still be there, but it won't be quite as pronounced as they are in the anime. But something tells me that either Pierrot is too much of a dinosaur to adapt so soon to the season system or someone high up doesn't want Black Clover to have any down time because it means a week without their supposed golden goose.
sweaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
It has indeed got better. Go check it out. ANN doesn't make this article for no reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3