• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: Alicization Anime to Cover Entire Alicization Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Ye gods, I hope we don't have another Knight's & Magic on our hands...

(For those who are unaware, K&M anime 'adapted' the first 9 volumes of the LN, and while some people seemed to like it, it was horribly rushed, stilted, and incomplete compared to the source material.)
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
Said it before and I'll say it again: based on what I've read so far of the Alicization arc, they're not going to need "60-72 episodes" to adapt it. Probably not 50, either. Some of the volumes of the first half I could see being done in as little as two episodes and still getting proper treatment, and going more than three on those volumes would be dragging. These aren't long volumes in terms of page count, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
One thing to point out is that the SAO franchise is perhaps the only successful anime franchise here to in the last 10 years to be a harem or have harem-type tropes. Some people might not consider to be such because of Kirito's devotion to Asuna. Well, sometimes a series can be a harem even if the MC has eyes for only 1 girl.
kamijoan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow nice, they are going to cut and crap all over those what.... 10 volumes? Anime hyper
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Nice, while I have never read the original novels and only seen the anime(I don't care what some people say about it I think it's really good), it is nice to see that this season will cover all of the arc. And I will different watch once it airs on Toonami because we all know its going to.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:

(For those who are unaware, K&M anime 'adapted' the first 9 volumes of the LN, and while some people seemed to like it, it was horribly rushed, stilted, and incomplete compared to the source material.)

Few things.

Knights and Magic anime only adapted 5 volumes of the light novel, I read it and translate it so pretty sure that is the case.

Second, volume 9 is not even released to public by the time the anime is finished...,

But yes, I do agree the anime version of Knights and Magic is rushed to hell Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Said it before and I'll say it again: based on what I've read so far of the Alicization arc, they're not going to need "60-72 episodes" to adapt it. Probably not 50, either. Some of the volumes of the first half I could see being done in as little as two episodes and still getting proper treatment, and going more than three on those volumes would be dragging. These aren't long volumes in terms of page count, either.

That makes sense. I am unfamiliar with SAO's novels, but I immediately assumed that this arc would not require that many episodes. Not to mention that SAO is one of the better animated series; it would be a shame to potentially have 60-72 episodes of low quality animation.

So, Key, do you think the Alicization arc will be 2 or 3 arcs of anime episodes?

Kadmos1 wrote:
One thing to point out is that the SAO franchise is perhaps the only successful anime franchise here to in the last 10 years to be a harem or have harem-type tropes.

I guess you have never heard of Monogatari.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I would agree to disagree, but even if true I think we'll see a minimum of 50 episodes. Main reason being this is Sword Art Online. It's such a popular series I could honestly see them adding filler to the story for its adaption just so it would run longer. Now I don't think they will do that because 50 episodes seems too short to me much less lower than 50.

And for the record I've read all but the last 2 novels of the arc completely.
Feli1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm already smelling the failure
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
oh god. if they try to cram all of that into 24 episodes, this is just gonna be baaaaaad.

I've been compin' at the bit for the alicization adaption, as it is easily the best arc of the series, but man am I scared they are gonna rush it to kingdom come. I mean, they rushed GGO and tried to pass it off as an action flick instead of the more murder-mystery/detective style the novel was going for.

If they really do only give it 2 cour, then there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a rushed steaming mess that the haters are gonna be able to rip to shreds any semblance of dignity the fans have left for the series.

Especially considering that this is probably the most detailed arc of the series, but it also probably has some of the most internal monologues too. And internal monologuing is super difficult to translate to an anime adaption without slowing the pace down considerably and/or looking awkward/janky.
xzy123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
CycloneSP wrote:
oh god. if they try to cram all of that into 24 episodes, this is just gonna be baaaaaad.

I've been compin' at the bit for the alicization adaption, as it is easily the best arc of the series, but man am I scared they are gonna rush it to kingdom come. I mean, they rushed GGO and tried to pass it off as an action flick instead of the more murder-mystery/detective style the novel was going for.

If they really do only give it 2 cour, then there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a rushed steaming mess that the haters are gonna be able to rip to shreds any semblance of dignity the fans have left for the series.

Especially considering that this is probably the most detailed arc of the series, but it also probably has some of the most internal monologues too. And internal monologuing is super difficult to translate to an anime adaption without slowing the pace down considerably and/or looking awkward/janky.

It good thing that they go so long
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Xavon wrote:

Few things.

Knights and Magic anime only adapted 5 volumes of the light novel, I read it and translate it so pretty sure that is the case.

Second, volume 9 is not even released to public by the time the anime is finished...,

But yes, I do agree the anime version of Knights and Magic is rushed to hell Smile

You're right, I should have said 'arcs' rather than volumes.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I complete and respectfully disagree. As this user above said:

CycloneSP wrote:

Alicization may have many non-eventful moments, but one of its better strenghts in terms of storytelling are the monologues in particular (much like most of the SAO books actually, but this arc even more).

Get this less than 50 episodes and it will be a poorly written mess of a flashy battle show much like Fairy Dance ex machina-ed battles and the bullshit reasoning for murder mystery in GGO when adapted ("let's look Shinon's ass and deduce the whole truth herp derp after a half adapted expositional reasoning dialogue").
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but you won't get any agreement from me about the monologuing. The first half of the arc, at least, is quite heavy in explanatory monologuing (or explanations that require only a minimum of response, anyway); for those who haven't read the novels, imagine if the bulk of a cour was like the first episode of SAO II, with two or three episodes of that in a row at some points. That's what you'd get if they took the same pace at adapting these novels as they did for the first three arcs.

And it doesn't need to be done. Maybe the last six novels are beefier, but the first four have a lot of places where I felt the pace was dragging, especially compared to how things go in the earlier novels or the Progressive spin-off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Well, this arc is really freaking good, to the point even haters of the SAO franchise consider it to be the real SAO. And it's 10 books long, pretty well written and executed at that.

I liked most of the earlier SAO content, and I strongly disagree. The first half of Alicization is almost as bad as Fairy Dance. It is basically all of the flaws people find with SAO about how Kirito is, but you drag it out over so many novels where basically nothing happens. It was such a snore, and completely failed to address what seems to be the largest issue non-SAO fans have with the series.

I'm not super happy to hear about this announcement though. I don't see how 10 novels in a single season will be anything but rushed. I see some people are really optimistic that season 3 will be 50 episodes or something, but I'm skeptical about that. It is much more common for LN adaptions to rush through content at blazing speed than it is for them to get boosted episode counts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3