• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yahoo! Japan, eBay Link Online Auctions Across Borders

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Dealing with proxy services and Y!J are wallet draining. I've done it in the past for items I absolutely wanted. I stopped visiting Y!J altogether because it's just torturous window shopping. There are so many things I'd like to have, but can't justify the cost it would take to get them. It's just better I not see it at all. Crying or Very sad

In the end, as always, it's price that's going to matter. I'll see what eBay and Y!J come up with in '08. If their prices are competitive with established proxy services, then I'll give 'em a shot.
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine saids it best:

Quote:
Nope. You guys don't remember ebay.co.jp? Yes, it did exist, and went down in flames. There's some potential for some of the ballsy users to cross list their items, but there's still many hurdles that won't be over come.

1: Language barrier
2: Payment -- Japanese sellers won't use Paypal.... and definitely shouldn't.
3: Just like ebay, the default of "where you ship" will most likely still be your home country only... and most people won't change it. These items will be masked from users of other territories.

Will be interesting to see, but there will likely not be much more available to westerners other than the Japanese people that post on Ebay now. Just a hunch.

Quote:
Nope. You guys don't remember ebay.co.jp?

Quote:
I do. It was a joke, as I recall. Like comparing other US auction sites to Ebay. I wish Ebay were more like YAJ as far as catagorizing. Ebay has huge areas that are generalized vs YAJ which has stuff like: Models>Static>Anime>Gundam>0079>...
-ud
Firousi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It looks promising but I want to see how they are going to work out the logistics like language et al. I use a proxy right now to get things off Yahoo!Japan and while their service is great the fees just kill about kill you moneywise. Shocked
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ebay is a prominent (according to them) auction site in most foreign countries, including many Asian countries.

It's only JAPAN in which they completely failed to establish a presence.

Therefore language barriers and such are not the reason things ended up the way they are, and have nothing to do with this thread.
poweranime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that noone's mentioned HK bootleg anime items that run through ebay's anime section like blood through veins.... It looks like ebay's doing a little something to thin the bootlegging DVD HK'ers out, but I can still easily find quite a few without too much effort... I know Yahoo! Japan has extremely strict policies on bootlegged anime products, so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out especially if anime is suppose to be a strong selling point for the company hook up...
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The Mainichi Daily News article (from Associated Press).

For those who are suffering now: see the Anime on DVD Retail forum thread "Proxy service recommendations".
GaijinPunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
A friend of mine saids it best:

Quote:
Nope. You guys don't remember ebay.co.jp? Yes, it did exist, and went down in flames.

Sounds familiar. Smile

My whole take on it is one of pessimism, obviously as I live in Japan (this effects my livelihood to a small extent). Basically, I could see this going two ways:

1: The system will be set up for people that want to use it. Japanese sellers that want to broaden there horizons can. There will be tools for translating (most likely crappy auto translators), etc. If this happens, I think you might see a small increase in Ebay listings, but for the most part, Japanese are going to want to their payments in local bank transfers (within days) and will not want to ship abroad. Paypal isn't an option.

2: Ebay/YJ have a full on proxy similar to the others. They have the obvious advantage of advertising on either site. It's a lot of risk to do on such a grand scale. Storing that stuff (especially in Japan) costs loads.

The last issue I see with this is for European users... if Ebay/YJ are sending your items, I doubt they're going to mark them as gifts. Shocked

Quote:
while their service is great the fees just kill about kill you moneywise.

Might I ask what service and about how are the fees? It's true, they add up, but a lot of those fees are incurred whether they ship to you or not. As a user of Yahoo Japan since 2000, I can tell you, buying small items for under 2000 yen gets pricey. Back in the days, bank transfers were a minimum of 315 yen, and shipping another 200-300. As for the commissions... well... nothing's free. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2