• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Pop Team Epic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
*pleasure them in your basement

FTFY
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, in a gag that all of the cool teens in the audience are certain to catch, Hanna-Barbera's Dick Dastardly from the Wacky Races cartoons makes an appearance, mosaic-censored like Pipimi!Totoro from way back in episode one.

Thanks - I had no idea what that mosaic was supposed to be. Embarassed I got the Initial D reference though, despite having never seen Initial D. That series' main character has a very recognizable look just from the few times I've seen him on MAL and in arcades.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention Garfield in your "not just feeling like a lot of disjointed gags" comment, seeing as the original Garfield animated series was a series of 25-30 minute animated specials with overarcing stories. (Even if they sometimes incorporated comedy gags from the strips themselves, particularly in "Here Comes Garfield".)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, I’m enjoying the gratuitously two-part review format.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize that the music video was parodying earth wind and fire, that's a pretty neat reference.

Did wacky race ever have a Japanese parallel or anything similar to it?
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Wacky races itself was very popular. As were a lot of other western cartoons (Diana's friends in Little Witch Academia are named Hannah and Barbara in reference to the Hanna-Barbera animation studio to name a recent example.) According to Tv Tropes Speed Racer could have helped Wacky Racers popularity
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
sourpatchthekid wrote:
meiam wrote:

Wacky races itself was very popular. As were a lot of other western cartoons (Diana's friends in Little Witch Academia are named Hannah and Barbara in reference to the Hanna-Barbera animation studio to name a recent example.) According to Tv Tropes Speed Racer could have helped Wacky Racers popularity

There's was also Scramble Wars, which pit various anime characters from other series against each other in SD wacky races style.

They were all from the same studio/company, I'm pretty sure. Here it was almost all AnimEigo-subbed things.

Notables included the Knight Sabers from Bubblegum Crisis, the girls from Gall Force (no in fact Scramble Wars was a double feature with Ten Little Gall Force), the main characters from Genesis Survivor Gaiarth, and....some others I know I'm forgetting. I think maybe Bean Bandit from Riding Bean?
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
one of the old sdgundam vhs did the same sort of thing
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Ahahahahaha....Gaby, I love you sooooo much, favoriate review of the season, calling it now Cool
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
The "Marilyn Monroe" segment from episode 5 is probably the closest the show has come to true nonsensical Internet humor/shitposting such as a Turkish man yelling "meow" at an egg, and I absolutely loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
A+ for the review, B- for the episode. Laughing

I was one of those people who couldn't even make it halfway through the first episode, but i gave it another shot because bizarre (anti-)humour is usually my thing and i gotta say, it's growing on me. Kind of. Or maybe i'm just getting desensitised ( i still hate ep. 1, though...)?!
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I just came here to say, I would 100% watch that shoujo(??) anime. Twist and all. And enjoy it unironically.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I just came here to say, I would 100% watch that shoujo(??) anime. Twist and all. And enjoy it unironically.

Honestly, I would too, not unlike their Hoshiiro Girl Drop. It is simultaneously amazing and frightening how much effort and skill they put into these sorts of segments only to use them as jumping off points for its unique brand of shitpostery.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It's possible we may have a problem.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn Monroe got me good, holy shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9