• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The lack of Kemono Friends breaks my heart. Not even in Best Opening or CGI. I will debate you on the CGI. KF is my anime of the year. Followed by Maidragon.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The first thought that popped into my mind is why isn't Attack on Titian (Season 2) in Best Anime category, but then after reading the comments no one else shares my sentiment. I guess I'm the only one that thinks that. How you can nominate a movie(A Silent Voice) among other tv anime is baffling. That's like combining the Oscars with the Emmy's.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
As long as they make good nominations such that most people find them to be reasonable choices for the best in their respective category, and not just most popular, I don't have an issue with the system

As we can see from this thread, though, that goal did not, and probably could not, happen. Most of the posts in here are "this list sucks because they included X and/or didn't include Y." I doubt you could make the list seem reasonable to everyone unless you put every possible anime and character on it, and then they'd complain that it's too long. The only winning move is not to play.

Which brings me back to wondering what the point of this sort of contest even is. Presumably it's one part gotta-have-a-winner-ism and one part publicity stunt... much like "real" Oscars-style awards shows.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Last years Anime awards show was a total sham and a complete mockery of the entire Anime community with yaoi on ice winning is just about every category so hopefully this year Crunchyroll takes things a hell of a lot more seriously.

Not nearly as terrible of robbing Yoshikage Kira of his rightful spot at the "Best Villain" throne.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Chrono1000 Overall, I prefer critics choosing the nominees than the general population as it lends the vote a critical imprimatur so it doesn't seems as much of a pure popularity contest. I'm not convinced a method that gives a good chance of Boruto or Black Clover being one of the nominees for best of the year is obviously superior to having critics narrow it down. I'm not sure if they will do it this year, but last year they did allow write ins, which might mitigate that line of criticism. Letting people vote on the winner makes the result more democratic and less like critics sending down the word on what is the best anime from on high. I think the method they have chosen strikes the best balance between critic and popular opinion.

I find critics are generally out of touch with both the medium they critique as well as its fanbase at best, and antagonistic and anti-consumer to the point of attempting to be the controlling authoritive voice of the people at worst.

For example, the manga category feels like it was made by someone completely out of touch with what manga fans are currently reading, and trying to nudge the voting in a very specific direction. The only remotely popular title on that list is Dungeon Meshi, but for that to be present over the dozens of more relevent, beloved, and popular titles definately raises eyebrows, to say nothing of the other nominees.

-Stuart Smith
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

As we can see from this thread, though, that goal did not, and probably could not, happen. Most of the posts in here are "this list sucks because they included X and/or didn't include Y." I doubt you could make the list seem reasonable to everyone unless you put every possible anime and character on it, and then they'd complain that it's too long. The only winning move is not to play.

Which brings me back to wondering what the point of this sort of contest even is. Presumably it's one part gotta-have-a-winner-ism and one part publicity stunt... much like "real" Oscars-style awards shows.

These kind of things are for fun. People are just pissed(even if they say they don't care) that their favorite show isn't there or that it might lose to X show since it's more popular. Quick tip if it's popular and loved enough to win then it's not just because it's mainstream. The show reached that status for a reason. It succeeded where many others failed.

Anyway just have fun folks, these kind of events bring in lots of discussions.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I find critics are generally out of touch with both the medium they critique as well as its fanbase at best, and antagonistic and anti-consumer to the point of attempting to be the controlling authoritive voice of the people at worst.

For example, the manga category feels like it was made by someone completely out of touch with what manga fans are currently reading, and trying to nudge the voting in a very specific direction.

Wow, do I have a book recommendation for you!
whitesox123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
How the hell did Fate/Apocrypha not make it in Best Animation category but My Hero Academia did?

Edit: They even included A Silent Voice? They can't be serious. How is that fair for the other TV series listed there?

Because Fate/Apocrypha doesn't deserve Best Animation when its animation was subpar for most of the series.

Gotta disagree with you there, it was average when there wasn't a fight going on but when there was it had the best fight choreography out of any show this year. Hell, they could just have episode 22 for the nominee list and that would be good enough.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
As long as they make good nominations such that most people find them to be reasonable choices for the best in their respective category, and not just most popular, I don't have an issue with the system

I would never expect everyone to agree with all of the nominees. But at least compared to last year, people seem much more amenable to the nominees, and I think we are a lot closer to the standard I have established if they aren't there already. We'll see how the results are received though.

@Stuart Smith I'm not a manga reader so I can't speak to that category, but for the genre, technical, and overall anime categories, the nominees seem fairly in line with the opinion of the wider fanbase. The best anime category is not much different than the results of the Mega poll on this site, and not far out of line with user ratings on other sites. So as far as the anime portion of the awards, I don't really see them as being out of touch with the fandom or the medium.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Obviously as an awards show and in light of last year’s results, this year’s results will have to be taken with a grain of salt, as it is ultimately a popularity contest.

Maybe they should try doing it the other way around--nominate the top ~5 by mass vote, and then have the judges pick out of those options. Then the popular shows would get some recognition but wouldn't just win across the board (in this case I predict My Hero Academia will win in every category it's nominated for).

I like the idea that someone on FB mentioned. Having a popular vote winner, and a judges choice, or experts choice, or something. Kinda covers both bases.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
tbh I'm not upset my favourite anime or whatever isn't in the list because tbh I hardly watched anything in 2017, and the stuff I actually watched and enjoyed is up for nominations for stuff anyway (like, I never got around to s2 of Rakugo but I'm glad it's there)

I'm just confused by some of the choices. I was confused last year too. I just personally aren't sure of the thought process behind some of these decisions
I think maybe they need to establish whether this is viewed from an academically "good" view point or a "this was popular" viewpoint. Like, Rakugo wasn't super popular, but was well regarded by critics. Meanwhile, some like main stream action series or whatever is popular, but not necessarily for like it's merits other than being a shounen jump type story.

For example...

Stuart Smith wrote:
For example, the manga category feels like it was made by someone completely out of touch with what manga fans are currently reading, and trying to nudge the voting in a very specific direction. The only remotely popular title on that list is Dungeon Meshi, but for that to be present over the dozens of more relevent, beloved, and popular titles definately raises eyebrows, to say nothing of the other nominees.

See, I think I disagree, because
1. stories like Lesbian Experience... and My Brother's Husband have been well received by critics
2. The above, Lesbian in particular, have been surprisingly popular. I think a lot of manga and anime fans, as well as people who wouldn't normally read manga, have found Lesbian a refreshing and interesting, as well as like, identifiable read. I think it's indicating a change in what readers want. Like, translation companies are realising that a fair chunk of readers want something more meaningful than insert shounen jump action series.
3. personally I don't know that Dungeon Meshi is even particularly popular idk

so again, you've got like the mix of more artsy but well regarded titles like Lesbian, My Brother, In This Corner, Rakugo... It makes me think the judges were going for the academic choice rather than the "This manga is really popular but it's pretty generic but hey it's popular!" choice.

whew
TL;DR what were the judges voting based off; what is popular or what is a well done work?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
@harminia Why would they have picked a nominee based on popularity? That would have been pretty dumb. I assume they picked the show they thought had the best quality for each category based on a consensus between the judges.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
@harminia Why would they have picked a nominee based on popularity? That would have been pretty dumb. I assume they picked the show they thought had the best quality for each category based on a consensus between the judges.

Because popular can equal good, but in a different way. Like, if a show is popular, that means a lot of people like it and think it's "good". Shouldn't that mean it should be up for nomination? If this was a few years ago, would Naruto have been nominated?
Like, people like Dragon Ball Super. Should it have been nominated? It's not on the level of other stories in terms of writing, animation etc, but people enjoy it and it's a good anime because of that. Last year, was YOI in because it was popular or because it was deemed a good show all around? Should AOT have been nominated for best anime etc? It's a mixture of super popular plus good animation etc like YOI was, but was it not artsy enough?
Like how at American awards, sometimes the artsy film that may be better gets passed for the blockbuster film that made more money.

It's like, not exactly popularity, but sort of is? I guess like, do they pick mainstream, successful shows that have a big fanbase, or smaller, artsier shows that have a little fanbase but is a better work. It sort of seems unclear to me which way the judges were going. Like, it seems to be towards the artsy stuff but sometimes it veers towards the mainstreamier stuff.

ugh, not sure if I'm making sense

Last edited by harminia on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
The first thought that popped into my mind is why isn't Attack on Titian (Season 2) in Best Anime category, but then after reading the comments no one else shares my sentiment. I guess I'm the only one that thinks that.

You are not alone. I also think AoT2 should have been nominated in that category.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Because popular can equal good, but in a different way. Like, if a show is popular, that means a lot of people like it and think it's "good". Shouldn't that mean it should be up for nomination? If this was a few years ago, would Naruto have been nominated?
Like, people like Dragon Ball Super. Should it have been nominated? It's not on the level of other stories in terms of writing, animation etc, but people enjoy it and it's a good anime because of that. Last year, was YOI in because it was popular or because it was deemed a good show all around?
Like how at American awards, sometimes the artsy film that may be better gets passed for the blockbuster film that made more money.

It's like, not exactly popularity, but sort of is? I guess like, do they pick mainstream, successful shows that have a big fanbase, or smaller, artsier shows that have a little fanbase but is a better work. It sort of seems unclear to me which way the judges were going. Like, it seems to be towards the artsy stuff but sometimes it veers towards the mainstreamier stuff.

ugh, not sure if I'm making sense

Popularity was clearly not a measure here or else shows like AoT, Boruto, Black Clover and Food Wars would be nearly everywhere since they are shows that constantly reached the top of CR's popularity chart. It's all about what they think was the best in term of quality. Like they thought MHA, MiA and crew were the best anime that aired this year. Quality wise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8