• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Did The Fans Kill Anime Strike?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
While I have Amazon Prime for the free shipping, I hardly ever use the video service because most of the shows I'm interested in are already on Netflix and the app interface is quite clunky and poorly designed. There was no way I was going to pay additional money for an anime channel when I already disliked the basic offerings.
Now that they've consolidated everything I'll probably check out the anime at least. I think if they really want to compete with Netflix going forward they need to seriously redesign their apps.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
Running up costs on licensing is bad for streaming sites, not for the anime industry. Fans having to pay more is bad for the fans not for the anime industry.

The horrid living conditions of people working in the anime industry, especially the young animators, are not directly related to the sales. It's the fault of the production committe. Anime Strike did not bring any money to the people who needed it. By the time the international licensing happened, those poor animators already got their pay. They did not see a penny of the big bucks Amazon brought. So no, Anime Strike wasn't good for the industry.

{Edit}: Removed your snarky comment. ~ Psycho 101
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
thenix wrote:
Running up costs on licensing is bad for streaming sites, not for the anime industry. Fans having to pay more is bad for the fans not for the anime industry.

The horrid living conditions of people working in the anime industry, especially the young animators, are not directly related to the sales. It's the fault of the production committe. Anime Strike did not bring any money to the people who needed it. By the time the international licensing happened, those poor animators already got their pay. They did not see a penny of the big bucks Amazon brought. So no, Anime Strike wasn't good for the industry.

Well it could have (in a perfect world). The more the anime is paid for then easily the more money that is available and OUGHT TO BE paid to everyone down the chain. Unfortunately, the industry does, as you say, skew ultraheavily to the MBAs in suits at the deal table than it does towards that grassroots laborers. Sad They could pay millions for anime and give everyone a healthy 60K salary with benefits and have money left over I bet.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Erebus25 wrote:
Despite all the bad things about Strike, there was a person there who had a good sense about picking titles to be their exclusives.

This. Some of the best shows of 2017, including Just Because!, Inuyashiki, Re:Creators, and Made in Abyss, were Amazon-exclusive.

Most of the shows that Amazon got were because of industry connections or literal contracts for entire TV blocks. So it has less to do with picking good shows and more with them just having good connections and contracts. And those decisions were undoubtedly based on statistics rather than anyone just having a good eye for quality content.

Яeverse wrote:
Feels like the articile doesnt address if amazon us will continue to get anime, or even in general that amzon will probably not stop being a key force in international and jpn anime streaming and even deal making. Would the deal with the two blocks be nullified?

It's impossible to know that at this stage. Rather than speculating on too little information, it's best to speak on what can be definitively spoken on.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The title should be, based on the question, "Is Anime Strikes demise a good thing for the industry"

The answer I'll give is: yes, it is. Amazon was running up costs and putting its product behind two paywalls. It was also Yet Another Streaming Service in an already overloaded field.

Frankly: good riddance to bad rubbish. I won't miss you, Amazon Strike.

Well, no actually. It's not good for the industry, in the short-term at least, because of reasons stated in the article, expressly the increase of licensing costs and the ability to reach an audience that was not previously familiar with or heavily invested in the medium. But it's mostly good for the consumers excluding that. Don't confuse consumers with the industry though, they are not the same thing.

DmonHiro wrote:
[So no, Anime Strike wasn't good for the industry.

And now you're confusing "the workers" for "the industry". And also ignoring the actual long term impacts of increased revenue for an industry, which historically either leads to increased pay for everyone involved, some level of breakdown in the worker system that forces that, or a revolution in the way something is made. All of which are generally good for an industry(in the case of the anemic anime production process, lack of revenue is definitely perpetuating a lot of the major problems). More revenue for an industry is good, statistically, in the short term, and almost always on a broader scale in the long-term, even if, in the short term, workers don't see immediate benefit. You simply can't fix these problems without more money being available. Most production companies are also not swimming in large pools of money while the little guys starve. The ones that are, like CyGames, usually end up putting more money back into the industry anyway, which is how those changes we need to see happen in the first place.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
You won't find my fingerprints on the murder weapon. Plus I have an alibi, I was nowhere near the scene of the crime, you can't prove nothing, see...

I'm conflicted over this. Anyone who can keep CR from running everything will get money from me... except if you're a shipping company that offers free shipping or, gasp, two day free shipping for 99 a year.

I don't need it tomorrow, I probably don't even next week. I can wait. For streaming, I have Netflix, HIDive and Funimation. In one essence, they all offer dubbed anime but more specifically, they offer clean anime. Simulcasts? I can wait there too.

In fact, I'd rather just binge and watch the whole thing at my pace. Hey Netflix, be a pal and double down on what you do. Once upon a time, anime used to takes years to make it out of Japan and it was great because they were usually a known quality, they were completed and often complete to boot. Now companies are licensing shows before they even begin regularly about subjects that offer the flimsiest reasons for being made into shows... and whatever popteam epic is. It has to break some time... eventually.

"This bubble is different. This bubble will not burst."
If it comes down to one company, it won't have to burst, it will rot from the inside.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Not to defend the service too much, but I don't think you needed the $99 Prime for Strike. You did need Amazon Video ($10.99), so there was still a double pay wall, but not as bad as one would imagine.

True, you could have just subscribed to Anime Strike for a month for $17 and binge watch, but that was still not a good value because Strike's library is minuscule compared to Crunchyroll and Funimation catalogs. Also CR and Funi monthly fees are like $8 dollars.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
thenix wrote:

In the real world I don't think there is really a correlation between anime strike licensing and anime industry job salaries, but that is brought up often as an argument for not pirating. 'Every time you pirate you take money out of the pocket of the poor animators'
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
What they should have done is open a separate streaming company for it or buy an existing one and keep it separate from Amazon Video.

I don't think Amazon's goal was to rule the anime streaming business, I think their goal was to get anime fans who don't have a prime subscription to sign up. It fits in with their "Channels" department so they slotted it in there. Their other channels also have a cost beyond the prime paywall.

I hear what you're saying and I don't think that they wanted to rule the anime streaming business. But if their intent was to get more Prime members, then it definitely flew right back in their face because of their surface level research in how money is spent (or more accurately, NOT spent) for online content in this industry.

Digital media is already difficult enough to hawk to anime consumers, but severe intangibles such as promised future content (that will not be owned) is near impossible to sell. CR found out that banking on ad revenue WHILE incentivizing subscriptions to those who want hot-off-the-grill content in HD and no commercials is the sweet spot... In fact, because CR was a site born off piracy, it already had a good idea of what is financially viable to anime consumers.

It's kinda the same reason we'll probably see FAKKU start exploding in popularity. This just is not the market Amazon needs to be in without taking a legitimate look at why rampart piracy in the industry is something they can exploit rather than shut down.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree with the idea that Amazon drove up licensing costs. Most of the streams Amazon showed were acquired from Sentai/HiDive, aka a sublicense. They didn't get the rights directly from Japan. Last time I checked Sentai was still in existence. Last time I checked HiDive was continuing to increase in the number of viewers they had. Netflix, Funi/Crunchyroll, Viz, and Sentai are all still licensing shows and streaming them. If anything Sentai should be glad Amazon bowed out because now people have to go to HiDive instead. The licensing prices remain high because the same main 4 are still competing over shows. The only thing gone is a sublicense group.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
I don't think there's any arguing that asking anime fans, who are largely young and less financially well off, to pay an extra $5 a month IN ADDITION to $99 per year was a consumer-friendly thing to do.

In today's world, every paywall is a problem for the fanbase. Many younger anime viewers lack any income whatsoever, let alone a disposable one for subscription purposes. Luckily they can still afford to wait a week, a compromise that Crunchyroll was gracious to grant and that Amazon was telling to refuse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guspaz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
All Anime Strike content was available in Canada for no extra fee on top of Prime, and Prime costs $79 CAD ($63.60 USD) per year. Or put another way, Canada got all of Anime Strike for $5.30 USD a month with no other cost (no additional paywall).

Despite this, very few people in Canada were watching Anime on Prime Video, so far as I can tell. Most Anime fans that I know have Crunchyroll subscriptions, which at $60 CAD per year ($48.31 USD per year or $4.02 USD per month) is by far the cheapest way to watch anime in the country. Many have Netflix subscriptions. Far less have Prime, and of those who have Prime, most didn't even know they could watch anime on Prime Video.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, that JoJo DVD. One of the worst anime releases in recent memory, if it wasn't for the new dub being included it could have passed for a bootleg between the slapdash cover, horrible menus, English SDH instead of proper subtitles (always a sign of a big company not giving a shit, remember the original Dreamworks release of GitS Innocence?), and even the 3 DVDs you always see bootlegs using instead of the current industry standard of 4 for a 26 episode series.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
I don't agree with the idea that Amazon drove up licensing costs. Most of the streams Amazon showed were acquired from Sentai/HiDive, aka a sublicense. They didn't get the rights directly from Japan. Last time I checked Sentai was still in existence. Last time I checked HiDive was continuing to increase in the number of viewers they had. Netflix, Funi/Crunchyroll, Viz, and Sentai are all still licensing shows and streaming them. If anything Sentai should be glad Amazon bowed out because now people have to go to HiDive instead. The licensing prices remain high because the same main 4 are still competing over shows. The only thing gone is a sublicense group.

It isn't an "idea" that you get to decide whether you agree with or not, unfortunately. The fact that prices have gone up due to Amazon is a statistic that has been corroborated by dozens of industry people, including Justin himself. What Amazon paid for the Noitamina exclusivity license was a historic sum of money, and that forced other companies to raise their bids as well. No one is saying that Amazon is the ONLY cause of the increase. As noted by others, prices have been going up for 7+ years now, thanks to a number of factors. But Amazon coming in was a big contributing factor to the increase in the last couple of years.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
before Sentai(with some of Amazon's money) paid for international streaming.

was it ever actually confirmed Sentai was getting money from Amazon to purchase titles? I've seen that assumption passed around a LOT since they started putting simulcasts on Strike, but never saw any official confirmation.

As it stands, everything I've seen suggests Sentai's remained its own entity throughout this, and Strike was a stopgap to help bolster their simulcast audience while trying to get HiDive's infrastructure ready to actually compete with Crunchyroll, as evidence by them already bringing some of Strike's "exclusives" from Spring 17 to HiDive in the US and Canada. Not to mention that Amazon was licensing its own shows totally separate from Sentai, which doesn't seem particularly useful if you already have a company doing that for you.

Quote:
Other than certain Anime block deals they have with Noitamina, Animeism etc., I'm not sure how much they pick and choose anime. I think maybe Re:Creators and Welcome to the Ballroom are a couple exceptions that they picked themselves, otherwise a lot of their stuff just comes from those deals.

Yeah, if you take away series that Sentai licensed, Strike's actual offerings were pretty slim. Across almost 2 years their total licenses include:

Some of those have proven popular, and others really haven't. A lot of Strike's most well-hyped shows (Abyss, LandLust, Princess Principal) were from Sentai and likely won't remain exclusive to Amazon for much longer.

Regarding the first part, you may be right, but I think it's a fair assumption that Amazon gave them some money to compete. Comparing what they got after the Funiroll deal really set in (Winter 2017), and then what they got for this winter, it's clear that it's a bit sparse compared to them getting several of the biggest hits last year with Amazon.

And thanks for compiling that list... There was also that Lights of Clione short, but I can't remember where that came from. Their best and most hyped stuff was from Sentai, but Amazon has some good things in there. Outside of the block deals, their choices don't look that great outside of Re:Creators. Too early to tell with Kokkoku, but the first episode shows some promise.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think they would have done better if Anime Strike was just a category on Amazon Prime Video rather than a totally new subscription service. I think growing up in the 90s when there wasn't DVR, streaming, and binging was impossible gave me a calmer reaction to the reality of not being able to watch literally every show currently airing on television and taking that fact as like a personal attack.

angelmcazares wrote:
I was under the impression that the start of a fierce competition between Funimation and Crunchyroll in 2015 is what caused licence prices to skyrocket.

Isn't 2015 around the same time that CR and Funi announced they were getting in bed together rather than competing with each other?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5