• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans, Creators Applaud Animation of Fate/Apocrypha's 22nd Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Lion Magnus wrote:

This episode made change my opinion of Karna (because of FGO, I know him little) and made want even more a Atlanta, so yes, the content yes, very good, the message was recived.

I see you're a person of very fine taste, my friend. Atalanta was godly in this episode. She was too pure for thissinful world.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It's A-1. They do good work.

Calsolum wrote:
um what?

Some people are color blind and can't tell the difference between red and green even though red is red and green is green and anybody who isn't color blind would never confuse those two colors in a million years. Some people are animation blind and simply cannot recognize good animation no matter how amazing it is.

Fun fact: if you touch you nose to the TV while this is playing, you're literally someone who can't recognize good animation even if it hit them in the face.

um what?

I guess you were trying to sound smart using colour-blindness aka Deuteranomaly (thanks google) but before I even had to google it, you do know that traffic lights have 3 colours right?
And that people who are color-blind are not banned from getting driver's licenses.
I feel like most people would get what I'm trying to say by putting those 2 facts together but just for anyone who doesn't: even people who are color-blind and there are several types(again thanks google) are able to differentiate red from green and would not mistake those two colors 'in a million years'.

As for the 'animation blind' remark I found many if not all of the scenes in UBW and F/Z to be well done and I even mentioned that Onepunchman had some great scenes even when they shifted the art style drastically.

And about the 'funfact' if there were anyone who did that 'animation recognition' would be the least of their worries. Like how big is your screen? Do you have a severe visual impairment? Wouldn't your back hurt leaning forward that much?

So if you're going to insult someone at least put a bit of effort into it.
Gosh, trolls these days, no wonder Hiro's rampage on 2chan(or was it 4chan?) felt cathartic if only for a moment.

professorwho wrote:
Either I defend my poorly worded statement, or I acknowledge my shortcomings... I choose the latter to be more productive and less snob-ish.

Yeah, it was poorly worded but your intent here comes through.
We just have different priorities/views on what we consider 'good' I'd prioritize something that was consistent throughout its running time versus something that suddenly jumps from decent/good to breathtaking in the middle of its runtime

Edit: fixed some typos
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I wouldn't call doing in-between work "being in charge for several episodes".
Gawainwastaken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, this episode didn't sit right with me, so I came here for answers. I'm glad I now understand, thank you. Big thanks to Calsolum and professorwho. Very nice conversation, you two give me hope that humanity is not beyond redemption just yet Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Put me in the "I think it looked kinda bad" category. Sure, the fights were pretty exciting but the washed out colours, cartoonishly off model characters, and rubber people physics was far from visually appealing.
青白

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I am not saying much from a technical standpoint, but this fight felt like any other generic shounen fight scenes where characters show off their overpowered/overexaggerated ability for aesthetic purpose, which is to say, not very interesting.
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
I am not saying much from a technical standpoint, but this fight felt like any other generic shounen fight scenes where characters show off their overpowered/overexaggerated ability for aesthetic purpose, which is to say, not very interesting.

That has to do more with the story of Apocrypha and its narrative than actual animation quality.
amc9988

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Great animation? And I also read there are posters who praise this animation and talk sh*t on UBW animation? What I can see in this episode is a lazy fight scene animation, they barely animated the characters during the fight and just put out some big abstract looking explosion here and there, and when they show the characters during the fight, the characters are so disfigured that the whole episode looks weird. In one scene you got the normal looking animation and art style, in another scene you got disfigured human or small dot. If having a "good" animation means that you dont need to animated the characters but just the environment and background movement. Then fck "good" animation. I prefer the animated the characters' movement in the fight properly and fluidly rather than seeing the fluid abstract explosion fr the entire fight scene. If anything this is like a fight scene that is being directed by Micheal Bay with all the big explosions.
SlaYeRsama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
As a Sakuga fan and Karna fan, this episode was something else for me. Truly a masterpiece one enjoyed every single second of it. Nasu, please let Karna and Jinako shine in Fate/Extra Last Encore.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a little depressing that while industry people, professional animators, teachers, and leaders all throughout this creative industry, are praising this episode as a masterpiece... this thread is full of people who have no idea what the principles of animation even are, and who think static art is more important than movement, claiming it's a bad looking episode and positioning this as fact!
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but when you have professionals unanimously praising this episode that you think is garbage, maybe you should phrase your opinion with a little more open-mindedness and humility. I have always been confused why condescension, and literally trash-talking artists, so often accompanies these discussions.
Okay, you don't like it, how about, rather than attacking creatives, you make an effort to understand why they think it's so impressive. They certainly have experience that you don't, so maybe their opinion has some value.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
For people in the craft, "difficult" is the same as "good." You have to be good to do something difficult, so the large amount of motion is impressive to animators.

But if you see anime as a storytelling medium, rather than an animator circle-jerk, "difficult" just means "expensive." "Good" is a matter of "Did it actually help the storytelling, or did it muddle it?" To those of us who enjoy the (sometimes overly) technical presentation of the story of the fights that this show has been doing, it's like a bunch of artists showed up to ejaculate all over the screen and then congratulate themselves on a job well done without caring about whether what they put on the screen actually communicates the fiction. Did "a lot of things were moving" actually make a compelling tale, as it blurred the hot sexy characters and their well-defined fights into a fancy mush?

For a lot of people (myself included), the answer was no. And we're left wondering "if this is 'good,' then what's the point? What does 'good animation' really get us when we show up for the stories, not the movement?" This isn't Mob Psycho, this is the "100 words where 6 would do" Fate Universe, and it just didn't feel like it fit.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
For people in the craft, "difficult" is the same as "good." You have to be good to do something difficult, so the large amount of motion is impressive to animators.

That's not true. "Good" means "good". Something that looks good, is technically proficient, and feels creative, is "good". Whether or not it was also difficult is often irrelevant.(good is, of course, on some level, subjective)

Quote:
rather than an animator circle-jerk, "difficult" just means "expensive."

Disregarding the condescending use of "circle-jerk", the quality of animation has almost nothing to do with cost. It is a matter of time and talent. This episode was no more expensive than any other episode of the series, just like One Punch Man and any series by KyoAni is no more expensive than your average seasonal anime.

Quote:
"Good" is a matter of "Did it actually help the storytelling, or did it muddle it?" To those of us who enjoy the (sometimes overly) technical presentation of the story of the fights that this show has been doing, it's like a bunch of artists showed up to ejaculate all over the screen and then congratulate themselves on a job well done without caring about whether what they put on the screen actually communicates the fiction.

This is exactly the kind of weird entitled condescension that confuses me. It's like you can't help but throw out as many nasty insults as possible to make sure everyone knows how upset you are that your animator slaves didn't satisfy you.
Most animators, and those who appreciate animation, care a lot about storytelling. Visuals are a way to help tell the story, and to people like me, who appreciate visceral and creatively interesting artistry and animation, stuff like this and the Naruto/Pain fight tells the story much more effectively than a bunch of pretty still frames. You don't have to like it, but it'd be nice if you didn't frame it as if you are being wronged and the animators f*cked up YOUR present by actually enjoying their job and doing something creatively fulfilling.

Quote:
Did "a lot of things were moving" actually make a compelling tale, as it blurred the hot sexy characters and their well-defined fights into a fancy mush?
For a lot of people (myself included), the answer was no. And we're left wondering "if this is 'good,' then what's the point? What does 'good animation' really get us when we show up for the stories, not the movement?" This isn't Mob Psycho, this is the "100 words where 6 would do" Fate Universe, and it just didn't feel like it fit.

When I see comments like this, I have to wonder why certain people were drawn to this medium in the first place. If animation is such an unappreciated aspect, and apparently, actively takes away from your enjoyment of something, I feel like there are other mediums that would better satisfy you. Maybe read some more manga?
I do understand wanting consistency, but this show has been a webgen playground from the beginning. This is just the first time the stars aligned so dramatically, thanks to Mob Psycho, My Hero Academia, and Flip Flappers, animator, Hakuyu Go. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I'm never going to understand your mentality or artistic sensibilities, probably in the same way that you won't understand most artists.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
oh wow it seems as soon as I started writing this there was another comment, ok not gonna read that till tomorrow.
just keep in mind as anyone is reading that it will not have taken into consideration anything posted after Yttrbio

Well I was just about to go to sleep but i thought I'd make a last check at this thread and boy do i love it when people come on strong (err if it applies-no homo)

ok so I do realize that no individual posters were singled out by this post but I'm going to assume I was since I can't speak for anyone else.
Hmn i think later in the morning i'll reposition the quotes so its easier to read but basically i'll be running through the points in order.
Laughing as i was writing i sorta confused myself so i ended up fixing em anyway

relyat08 wrote:
I think it's a little depressing that while industry people, professional animators, teachers, and leaders all throughout this creative industry, are praising this episode as a masterpiece... this thread is full of people who have no idea what the principles of animation even are, ...

So I cant speak for anyone else and while i think there are some people who know quite a bit about animation here, at least a lot more than me the 'principles of animation' is completely above my head and hey it might be above the heads of a few other people here. But you know what I do know? I know entertainment and satisfaction. I know what I like and what keeps me happy and this episode had a few things that did not do that. And clearly there are some other people who felt the same.

Quote:
and who think static art is more important than movement, claiming it's a bad looking episode and positioning this as fact!

As for "static art is more important than movement, claiming it's a bad looking episode and positioning this as fact!" I don't think that one is more important than the other...its just that the 'static art' got shafted so badly here that it just destroys my appreciation of the whole scene.

To give an extreme example what if an animator had decided to meticulously put a lot of hard work, time and money into some dude taking a shit. It can be an amazing rendition of a turd working its way out using alot of fancy special effects and stuff but at the end of the credits it was just a dude taking a shit. could you still applaud the animation?

Now i'm not at all trying to say that this episode was shit at all but that metaphor should make things a bit clearer. Its just that animation or in this case the dynamic movement or whatever its called should not be the sole aspect of deciding wether or not an episode as a whole is considered good or bad(since and the episode is a sum of all the individual parts).

Quote:
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but when you have professionals unanimously praising this episode that you think is garbage, maybe you should phrase your opinion with a little more open-mindedness and humility.

Again as i am simply replying to a general statement so this may or may not be relevant but: I believe I was quite open-minded when I started posted. I said that the episode as a whole looked bad and I asked for someone to explain why I was wrong

Quote:
I have always been confused why condescension, and literally trash-talking artists, so often accompanies these discussions.

I've also been as civilized and tried to respect(but challenge) other people's opinions on why they feel this episode was so great. Well except to that one poster but I think meeting hostility with hostility was fair.

Quote:
Okay, you don't like it, how about, rather than attacking creatives, you make an effort to understand why they think it's so impressive. They certainly have experience that you don't, so maybe their opinion has some value.

I can confidently say that I've learned alot of why so many people like this episode's animation and I can agree but if they're praising the episode as a whole then I'll have to disagree because no matter how much you dress up a pig, it's still a pig.
... um that is a saying, right? makes sense in my head, in case it doesn't: great animation is no excuse for its jarring contrast in artistic imagery because then you're ignoring an unfavourable aspect of the episode for another part and I think that's an even greater disservice to the people who worked on this whos result should be judged equally.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
As someone who doesn't watch the show, I decided to check it out as a fan of great fight animation. I have to say, I think it has some great animation! I get that some are bothered by a lack of consistency, but as someone who doesn't watch the show I had no issues with the style. Not to mention I kinda love when shows allow their animators to cut loose.

That said, I felt the fight choreography/dynamics didn't quite match animation. It was pretty good, but nothing special. Lots of lights and explosions getting tossed around, but little else. I think if anything is holding it back from being a top tier fight, it's that. The fight itself simply wasn't interesting enough for me, despite how great the animation was.

I also have to say, the music was suitably epic. Definitely a great fight overall.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

So I cant speak for anyone else and while i think there are some people who know quite a bit about animation here, at least a lot more than me the 'principles of animation' is completely above my head and hey it might be above the heads of a few other people here. But you know what I do know? I know entertainment and satisfaction. I know what I like and what keeps me happy and this episode had a few things that did not do that. And clearly there are some other people who felt the same.

Absolutely. It's completely fine to dislike some aspects of this, or even all of it. As long as you don't phrase it as if the animators f*cked up, or failed you. Or worse, insult them. They worked very hard, they always do. At the very least we should show them some respect.

Quote:

To give an extreme example what if an animator had decided to meticulously put a lot of hard work, time and money into some dude taking a shit. It can be an amazing rendition of a turd working its way out using alot of fancy special effects and stuff but at the end of the credits it was just a dude taking a shit. could you still applaud the animation?

Have you heard of To Be Hero? Because it's about a dude taking a sh*t. And, while the show was not for me, I absolutely did appreciate the animation and applauded it when it stood out to me. And many others did as well, because it deserved it.

Quote:

Again as i am simply replying to a general statement so this may or may not be relevant but: I believe I was quite open-minded when I started posted. I said that the episode as a whole looked bad and I asked for someone to explain why I was wrong

While I completely disagree with the position you hold in many of your comments, you have been perfectly cordial and I thank you for that. I'm also glad to hear that you may have learned something here. If you dislike this kind of animation, more power to you, but I hope yourself and others will try your best not to insult the creators when you make your future criticisms. Smile

Quote:
great animation is no excuse for its jarring contrast in artistic imagery because then you're ignoring an unfavourable aspect of the episode for another part and I think that's an even greater disservice to the people who worked on this whos result should be judged equally.

Good thing I love the art and the animation equally. That's one of the most satisfying things that has come from studying animation. You begin to see the importance and artistry in every frame and breaking down how our minds see things as they move becomes inherently fascinating and sometimes even enchanting(like this episode, to me). A single still frame may appear as gibberish(smears, for example), but in context, be crucial to some underlying complex motion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4