• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
StarchildStorm wrote:
Honestly I got about four episodes in to season two and just completely stopped even bothering. I just didn't care about the tournament arc at all and just suddenly pretending like ice guy's been a main character the entire show out of nowhere was an instant way to make me pretty much instantly hate him.

The manga, and anime in turn, gives pretty heavy focus to several other supporting characters in the same way. I don't think Todoroki gets any undue focus, personally. The ensemble cast, and rotating and/or shared focus of multiple characters, has been a staple of good shonen writing for as long as good shonen has existed.
(I certainly didn't expect so much hate for the series here, to be honest. Everywhere else I go, I'm the one who is less into the series than the masses. This is a weird twist of fate.)
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Finished the first season yesterday evening and gotta say that appearance of League of Villains made the show much more interesting (All Might vs. Nomu is especially impressive) even if this is WSJ by the numbers. But yes, first seven or so episodes were really slow, bland and generic.

I'm glad to hear that they improved pacing for the second season, that'll make the show immensely more enjoyable. Personally, I think the other relatively recent shounen The Seven Deadly Sins offers more thrills and way better cast than MHA, but we'll see which franchise have better legs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
StarchildStorm wrote:
Honestly I got about four episodes in to season two and just completely stopped even bothering. I just didn't care about the tournament arc at all and just suddenly pretending like ice guy's been a main character the entire show out of nowhere was an instant way to make me pretty much instantly hate him.

The manga, and anime in turn, gives pretty heavy focus to several other supporting characters in the same way. I don't think Todoroki gets any undue focus, personally. The ensemble cast, and rotating and/or shared focus of multiple characters, has been a staple of good shonen writing for as long as good shonen has existed.
(I certainly didn't expect so much hate for the series here, to be honest. Everywhere else I go, I'm the one who is less into the series than the masses. This is a weird twist of fate.)

I dont think so, i know that in this place there are lot of people who really love the show just like anywhere else, is just like in anywhere else theres always that vocal group who spread some kind of negativity especially if is about a pretty popular show. This is normal in any media, and this kind of people are the ones that some times tend to get certain nottoriety with their unpopular comments. Even in this thread you clearly can see some sides arguing with the other, but most people (especially who likes the show) dont bother commenting either because they agree with the review and nothing more should be said or lazyness or wathever
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
I don't recall season 1 having a pacing problem but whatever.

It was a good season. I'll take more.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
#876584 wrote:
i know that in this place there are lot of people who really love the show just like anywhere else, is just like in anywhere else theres always that vocal group who spread some kind of negativity especially if is about a pretty popular show.

I guess, but I have really just not seen the negativity for this show elsewhere. There are some shows that seem to be generally immune to hype-backlash, and up until this thread, I thought this show was more or less one of them. The worst things I've heard about the show outside this thread are "it's just not really for me".
The people who like the show definitely don't seem to be showing up in this thread, though, for sure.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
The first half of this second season is great and much better than the first season. Then the second half shows up and levels the field. I was a little surprised that when I did my ratings the second season ended up having the same rating as the first as my complaints about the pacing there were more pronounced, but here it's just not the author's best material imo.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that overall I felt this season was on-par with the first. That being solid and good. But if we're just referring to the tournament arc? It was far-superior. But I felt pretty meh over hoe the Stain episodes dragged on with that typical *the entire episode is characters monologuing in their heads even though the villain is clearly right in front of them ready to attack* style of exposition that irks me in anime (not even just shonen). To be fair, they did that in the tourney arc as well, but there it made more sense since the characters weren't actually in any mortal danger, and the inward thoughts of the characters added to the interesting strategy of the fights. I did think the finals arc was an improvement and loved the fight with All-Might (though I still hate Bakugo), and the cast of characters is still one of the most inherently likable in anime. So overall bring on season three, I'll keep watching to see where it takes these guys.

Also, Mineta's humor doesn't stem from the idea that "lol harassing women is funny Anime hyper", the joke is that it isn't funny and that he's a filthy person who needs to become a better person who isn't gross. I can't think of a time when the show treated his actions or words as positive. It's like how the iconic "implication" scene from It's Always Sunny isn't about how rape is funny, but about how it's not.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know the first season was viewed in such a negative light. My favorite animation takes place in season 2 but I enjoyed season 1 a little more, partly because I didn't know if it was the type of show to kill characters so the "life or death" battles actually had me on edge.

It's a little annoying to me when things are about to get heavy, the narrator gives a line that makes it seem like the outcome of the battle is going to be some horrific tragedy... but then the fight happens, the good guys undeniably win, they take no losses at all, everything goes perfect, and in the next battle everyone is like "thank god we got that great experience from the last battle! It really prepped us for this one!" It goes from sounding like tragedy might occur to like the best possible thing that could have happened for everyone.

Decent series. I don't think I'll follow season 3 week-to-week but I feel confident that I'll enjoy binging it one weekend. I think I'd like it a lot more if I could basically rewind my brain 13 or so years, undo all the shonen I've seen since then, and stumble across this rather than stumbling across Naruto and Bleach.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
I thought the first season was alright. Because I was still heavy into FT into the time, a choice I slightly regret with each passing day, I didn't think much of MHA at first even with my love of comic books.

That being said the second season really blew me away in terms of how things were animated and paced. I read the Sports Festival before the season happened, but watching it made me like it even more. Todoroki v. Deku is one of my all time favorite fights and I liked how some of the more minor characters got elevated in various fashions.

The proceeding arc was even better with how amazing the Stain fight was and how Deku learned Full Cowl. That was such cool development that I hadn't seen in a shonen in a while. All the characters were likable to me in one way or another (aside from Bakugou) and I liked how they interacted.

Pretty hyped for Season 3.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
StarchildStorm wrote:

Honestly I think it really just boils down to shonen not so much being my thing personally. Season one I mostly preferred when it was breaking outside of that box instead of hitting the usual check marks.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
I felt the pacing in the first season was perfect, and I know a few people on this site said it was going too fast at points (disagreed but whatever) don't see how it was slow tho. The only time I felt the pacing dragged this season just a bit was during the fight with Stain but other then that this season was as solid as the first one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2