• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Often Feature Ear Cleaning?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jutsuri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I can’t remember which anime it was, but I saw this particular interaction comically turned on its’ head once when the recipient angered the woman doing the cleaning and she stabbed him in the ear canal. Doesn’t seem as funny when written, but I thought it was hilarious.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Ugh, that seemed a little suspect to me too. I’ll fix the article. Thanks. (The lipid difference doesn’t explain the lack of smell though.)

About the timeline, take a closer look at the linked article in the column and you'll see where you went wrong;
Column;
Quote:
It turns out this is a side-effect of a genetic mutation that occurred around 2000 years ago.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-details/what-your-earwax-says-about-your-ancestry
Quote:
This mutation appeared about 2,000 generations ago, according to a study published in 2011

...there's some difference between those two. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
And only up until recently have we finally found ways of getting earwax out. Actually I haven't had a ear test in years. Yeah, the whole Q-tip about sticking it in your ear, NOW you tell us. but I will admit those ear cleaners the Japanese use are big.

I've also heard ear cleaning in Japan has also become sort of a "bonding" thing too. I wonder what the tool is made out of. If ear wax for Japanese is more dry then what is the ear tool made from.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
. I wonder what the tool is made out of. If ear wax for Japanese is more dry then what is the ear tool made from.

It's basically a small spoon on a long handle, so anything you can make a spoon out of will do. Mostly plastic nowadays, but historically usually wood of some kind. As you moved up the social scale, the wood got rarer and more expensive naturally. I've seen ivory ones too, presumably for the top of the ladder.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The relationship with underarm smell is a large part of why there's a stereotype of Westerners (whether white or black) being foul smelling. It's not entirely inaccurate, and has a biological basis.

It's one of those things like ALDH2 deficiency (cause of flushing when drinking alcohol in most East Asians) that people might not realize has some basis in truth (even if not everyone has the particular allele so it's only a strong correlation, etc.)
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some questions I feel like I've been waiting all my life for someone to ask me. This is one of them.

That's one more thing of Justin's bucket list I guess.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Once my tutor was showing images and I said 'spoon' and she's all. naw no not a spoon. She said it was an ear cleaner. And I mentioned I never saw one like that. So my tutor, an Osakan woman, runs to the bathroom to grab and unveil her entire ear cleaning toolbox.

It was as if arriving on the shore of the distance sacred land of Japanese people's passion for ear cleaning.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Trusting someone to clean your ears is a pretty intimate thing because there's a serious need for trust. If you don't trust them, you'd be scared shitless of them shoving the Q-tip (sorry, it's what I've always used) all the way in there and completely messing up your ear in a matter of seconds.

It's nearly as intimate as brushing someone's teeth... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
My grandfather, a collector of odd things I'm told, had a set of ear cleaning tools including the Japanese spoon device which was made of stainless steel. I'm 1/16 Native American ( Choctaw ) and have had a long & painful history of hard dry earwax. Nice to know that it is probably genetic.

Mark Gosdin
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok I agree the color is different, but smell?
I am European and my ear wax doesn't smell anything, though it does have this yellow color.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Ok I agree the color is different, but smell?
I am European and my ear wax doesn't smell anything, though it does have this yellow color.

People usually don't smell their own smells. Ok, if you've worn the same clothes for a few weeks then it's understandable, but normally people don't realize how they smell to others...
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I just thought it was one of those weird creepy pervy anime things that no-one does in real life like head pats.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've used Q-tips (cotton swabs) my whole life and I turned out fine but rather than shoving it inside I just twist a little. Doing that cleans up a lot of that gross wax in my ears plus when I DO go deeper it gives me this nice tingly feeling (but I also need to be careful when doing that or it might hurt a bit).

Weird. I've never thought of posting something like THIS on this site.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I've done the worse with Q-tips and pushed it too far. Caused both my ears to get so clogged I woke up one morning several years back unable to hear anything. Went to the ER, they had to jam a metal hook into my ear to get the worse of it. Hurt like no other.

Common practice I do now is clean my ears after every daily shower. It keeps the wax to a minimum. Never had a problem since and no doc I've been to since has no issues with my ears.

Q-tips, like anything, if used wrong can be bad. Just be careful.

I wouldn't mind getting my ears cleared while laying down in my wife's lap though. Justin, love that Himouto(?) image. So funny.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally, the sort of Japanese businesses that cater to lonely men often offer this as a service.

What about lonely women? Where do they go to get their ears cleaned?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4