• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Will Netflix Producing Anime Change the Industry?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
This is frankly all BS. In Japan "Golden Time" is from 19:00 to 22:00. Utena aired before that, and 20 years ago there was only one new anime in that time slot. There's half a dozen new shows that air during during that time period this season and several times more that air shortly before or after. Japanese animators have been getting ripped off since Tezuka's days.

I legitimately have no idea how someone can think mainstream anime was more plentiful in the 80s or 90s than it is now. The only explanation I can think of is either their defintion of mainstream means something else, or they are referring exclusively to the American market.

Because it's true there is little in the way of mainstream anime airing in America these days. Once popular series like Pocket Monsters, One Piece, and Yu-Gi-Oh are all but gone, the former being shifted to Disney Anime hyper and the latter two seemingly gone from American television. Newer franchises like Yokai Watch are a mere fraction of their Japanese popularity, and franchises like Detective Conan, Doraemon and Pretty Cure failed spectacularly in America and could not find an audience, despite phenominal success in Japan. Even still, you have multiple franchises that come out every year, like Herobank, Hey Bot, Kamiwaza Wanda, Mysterious Joker, Time Boukan, and many others which are never even attempted to marketed in America.

The only mainstream anime currently finding success in America is Dragon Ball Super. In that regard, yes, mainstream anime has fallen, but only in the states. Japan is thriving with mainstream anime year after year.

-Stuart Smith
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Will Netflix learn to simulcast shows anytime soon and not hold onto their shows for months, even years, only releasing them long after everyone has been spoiled?

Anyway, I'll just say it: My main concern with netflix is that it is not Japanese.

We here love anime. Anime is Japanese. Some of my favorite shows of all time would have never, ever been thought of, let alone produced, in another cultural environment. If Netflix is going to be a more prominent player in creating shows, rather than distributing them, what kind of shows are they going to make?

Netflix has been very loose with their directions. Letting creators do basically anything they want. Furthermore, up to this point, they haven't done anything more than give these people wads of cash and a very generous production schedule. And by "these people" I mean creators, who usually happen to be Japanese. You shouldn't worry terribly much about them taking the "Japanese" out of your anime. Really, that's clearly not what they want to do.

Quote:
Are they going to make the next Attack on Titan, Ghost in the Shell? Maybe.

Are they going to make the next Hyouka, Oregairu SNAFU, Index/Railgun, Spice and Wolf, Shirobako? Probably not.

I don't want to watch your standard Western blockbuster/comic adapted into anime form. We already have enough for that. I want to watch anime.

They could easily make the next interesting slice of life/drama anime(they did get Violet Evergarden, by the way, which, while definitely more action than KyoAni usually does, is certainly intended to be character drama at its core). But even if they don't, other companies will. You seem to be operating under the assumption that if Netflix makes anime, no one else does. That's not what's happening here. Just because Netflix is going to be making a bunch of shows doesn't mean no one else can. Let Netflix make the next Attack on Titan and let a different production committee make the next great slice of life/drama. Then we get both! That's the kind of thing that just works out for everyone!
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Reading through these "Oh no, the sky is falling" type responses makes me wonder if any of these people have ever used Netflix, knows how Netflix works, or even know what Netflix is.

Will more anime produced/licenced by Netflix = more sanitized anime to appeal to mainstream? My bets are on "no".

I signed up for Netflix to watch Orange Is The New Black, and continued to subscribe because they offer a large variety of shows that pique my interest, and because I often have How I Met Your Mother playing as background noise.

Not everything that Netflix offers appeals to me, and that's fine, and I suspect that Netflix is fine with that too. After all, people pay for access to a library of shows. All that matters to Netflix is that people keep subscribing, other than assessing how much they pay to licence/produce something, why would they care if a particular show or movie is only getting a small percentage of viewers?

With that in mind, it would be in Netflix's interest to continue their strategy of having a wide variety of programs for people to watch, so any fears that Neflix's foray into the anime world is going result in anime becoming boring generic mainstream junk is unfounded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
Reading through these "Oh no, the sky is falling" type responses makes me wonder if any of these people have ever used Netflix, knows how Netflix works, or even know what Netflix is.

Will more anime produced/licenced by Netflix = more sanitized anime to appeal to mainstream? My bets are on "no".

I signed up for Netflix to watch Orange Is The New Black, and continued to subscribe because they offer a large variety of shows that pique my interest, and because I often have How I Met Your Mother playing as background noise.

Not everything that Netflix offers appeals to me, and that's fine, and I suspect that Netflix is fine with that too. After all, people pay for access to a library of shows. All that matters to Netflix is that people keep subscribing, other than assessing how much they pay to licence/produce something, why would they care if a particular show or movie is only getting a small percentage of viewers?

With that in mind, it would be in Netflix's interest to continue their strategy of having a wide variety of programs for people to watch, so any fears that Neflix's foray into the anime world is going result in anime becoming boring generic mainstream junk is unfounded.

True sh*t. Netflix wants variety. If everything they got appealed to the exact same people, they would fail to grow their audience. And would, in turn, fail as a service. I imagine their desire to get more heavily into anime is, in-part, because it's a market they haven't tapped as much as they want. Meaning, they definitely think there are more anime fans they can get to subscribe. I'm inclined to agree. And they won't do it by getting the exact same kinds of anime they've already had on their service over and over.They will definitely want to branch out. That means, drama, slice of life, fanservice, action, artsy/independent/auteur, etc etc etc. Some of the weird-ass stuff you can find on their service already makes it pretty clear they are not interested in sanitizing their content. That's not how you appeal to everyone.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope Netflix will never be the second coming of Funimation with their americanized crap translation which most of the time very inaccurate, there's also the glaring mis-timings and their horrible video encode to gripe about. But heck, I am happy with my CR subscription, if the title is Netflix exclusive, I can just go find them elsewhere in raw TV channel or torrents.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
It will not change anything significantly. It just means more money pouring in and hence more stuff to watch. The volume of production will continue to increase. And the working conditions of the anime industry will not improve. Also Netflix is just a drop in the bucket of a multi billion dollar industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Also Netflix is just a drop in the bucket of a multi billion dollar industry.

They could literally pay for the production of every single anime in a single year multiple times over. They won't, but they could. Anyway, their investment is certainly not a drop in the bucket.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Not that these shows can´t get made. I support that they get made. But to cite the American example before, the first 3 movies have sex and boobs and fanservice as an integral part of their plots. It´s in later American Pie films where sex and fanservice is more of a sellout gimmick than a necessary plot point. In the case of Kill la Kill and Monster Musume, sex and fanservice is a necessary plot point. In Nisekoi, Angel 3Piece, and Isekai series with harems, sex and fanservice could easily be removed from the picture and it won´t change the shows in any way, ´cause they´re unnecessary.
How would fanservice hurt an isekai harem show? Granted it varies from show to show and there are exceptions to the rule but on average that is generally part of the appeal of the show. Certain genres tend to be aimed at certain groups which is why it isn't a surprise that there are lots of handsome guys in shows such as Code: Realize and Sengoku Night Blood.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Sure, some fanservice is unneccessary, but why shouldn’t it be there? Because you don’t like it? And I have to agree that your example of isekai harem shows seems odd considering they are, you know, harem.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
I hope Neo-Yokio wasn't a taste of things to come for Netflix and anime.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Creators have basically already confirmed this to be the case anyway. Like, some have even complained about having too much creative freedom! That says it all right there.

relyat08 wrote:
Netflix has been very loose with their directions. Letting creators do basically anything they want. Furthermore, up to this point, they haven't done anything more than give these people wads of cash and a very generous production schedule. And by "these people" I mean creators, who usually happen to be Japanese.

I'm curious to know where this is coming from; I don't think I've seen it on ANN.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Netflix Japan have an anime series as a weekly anime stream. However, Netflix USA will have that same series be delayed at least 1 season. Beyond Netflix USA's preferred binge-watching business plan, why does this happen? I think Netflix overall has enough revenue to bypass any rights issues and have Netflix USA stream an anime episode weekly.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
Like i said in the news thread on this topic, I've been saying for years this would happen. It only makes sense. Anime is becoming more global in its appeal so more powerful players in American media want a piece of the action and have resources to throw around. I am pretty confident that the Netflix anime will be of very high quality and will be well written/adapted. Some of the heavily recycled junk will be jettisoned. I think that is a great thing. I, for one, look forward to our new Netflix overlords. Cool Laughing
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
In response to all of the people getting riled up over my opinion, I really don't dislike fanservice in anime, I dislike distasteful or pointless fanservice in anime. We all know what I'm talking about I'm sure, and I think it's gotten a little out of hand. I believe in creative freedom as much as the next guy, but toning it down so that we aren't all seen as perverted otaku every time someone walks past our TVs would be pretty nice.

I personally steer clear from those shows that use fanservice as a selling point when the story is completely throw-away otherwise, and this kind of fanservice has become so pervasive that it was attributing to a major decline in the quality of anime being made. This hasn't been quite as bad this year it would seem, but there are shows that pander to fanservice while sacrificing good writing in every release season. When an aspect of anime starts to hinder its quality of writing and story, and instead becomes a gimmick, it's time to look hard at that aspect and see where it stepped over the line into gimmick territory and try to dial it back.

[EDIT] - A little bit of a tangent, but one thing I hope western influence doesn't change about anime is that female protagonists in anime tend to be much better than in any western media. I have yet to see a female protagonist in any western TV show or movie that could rival Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell, and this is but one example.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I'm curious to know where this is coming from; I don't think I've seen it on ANN.

This article exists in various forms across like 10 different news sites who all want a piece of the same traffic. Creators(mostly Japanese) have also been quite vocal about it on twitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10