• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Inuyashiki Last Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 is basically "What if Ayn Rand had a robot body?"
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
meiam wrote:
Hiro is just an amoral asshole.

No, Hiro is a sociopath. The kind that cannot feel remorse for his actions. These type of people do exist in real life. If they had super-powers it's reasonable to assume some of them would act like Hiro.

Also no, most interesting bad guys don't make us secretly root for them. I don't know why would would think that.

No, a sociopath doesn't feel remorse for his action, but that doesn't mean they'll kill for fun. A sociopath could coldly kill someone for some benefit (say get ahead in a company hierarchy) but they have no reason to kill people just for fun, even if it's well within there power. Hiro's just an asshole, who kill for fun. That's pretty much the entire depth of his character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
@ meiam - where did you get the idea that sociopaths don't kill for fun? They kill based on whatever their compulsions are. If a sociopath likes killing women, he'll most likely target prostitutes because when they go missing people assume they've just moved away or something and don't look as hard. Believe me, this sickos find that "fun." Sociopaths rarely kill for some rational objective like getting ahead in business.

Hiro isn't killing just for fun. He has no empathy so he's experimenting on people. He's trying to find out if he can elicit any emotion from killing his random victims, like he can feel reading a volume of One Piece, for example. So far his experiments have failed.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ meiam - where did you get the idea that sociopaths don't kill for fun? They kill based on whatever their compulsions are. If a sociopath likes killing women, he'll most likely target prostitutes because when they go missing people assume they've just moved away or something and don't look as hard. Believe me, this sickos find that "fun." Sociopaths rarely kill for some rational objective like getting ahead in business.

Hiro isn't killing just for fun. He has no empathy so he's experimenting on people. He's trying to find out if he can elicit any emotion from killing his random victims, like he can feel reading a volume of One Piece, for example. So far his experiments have failed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy#Sociopathy

Quote:
persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits

Nothing about sociopath push people toward killing for fun. I don't empathize with chair, but that doesn't mean I go around randomly breaking chair for fun. Someone can be a sociopath AND be someone who enjoy killing people, but the fact that they're a sociopath is pretty irrelevant compared to the fact that they enjoy killing people (unless you believe everyone innately enjoy killing people and are only stopped from randomly killing because of empathy).

So maybe Hiro is a sociopath, maybe he's not. That's pretty irrelevant compared to the fact that he spent his evening randomly killing people (which I found incredibly uninteresting).
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

See, this is one of those cases where the technical meaning of a term and the popular meaning are barely related. Sociopathy (now termed "antisocial personality disorder") is fairly common in the general population, and the vast majority are perfectly functional, although not necessarily very pleasant, people (who are disproportionately represented in high-stress, high-risk professions). Some elements of sociopathy are common in serial killers, but you can perfectly well "kill people for fun" without being a sociopath, and vice versa.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
@ lebrel - yes, I am aware that sociopath does not equal killer. My point is that sociopaths who do kill do so out of compulsion. The sating of that compulsion is a form of "fun" for some of them. I don't believe Hiro is killing just for the "fun" of it. He has discovered he has uncanny abilities that allow him to kill with near impunity. Now he's experimenting to see if killing random strangers can evoke some sort of emotional response in him, like he can get by reading manga. The fact that he is a sociopath, and thus cannot empathize with strangers, means his experiments will always "fail."
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
No, a sociopath doesn't feel remorse for his action, but that doesn't mean they'll kill for fun.

Hiro is not killing for fun. He's killing so he can feel something. Killing people gives his a rush just like saving people gives Inu a rush. You see that after he killed he said "I'm alive". The killing is not the ends it's just the means. If he could get the same rush another way he would probably do it. But since he does seem to be at least somewhat of a sociopath he does not realize there are other ways.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I forgot how brutal episode 2 would be, probably because I'm not reading the manga or watching the anime for Hiro's Gantz-level uberviolence, but for the coolest geriatric superhero. Go, Inuyashiki! Kick that pretty boy's amoral head in!

Chrono1000 wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Also, I think there's some interesting things to be said about the nature of a villain who takes the idea of "I only care about my friends and family" to the logical extreme. Also, his constant references to One Piece may be playing off that manga's obsession with 'nakama', and the idea of friendship above all else, even at the expense of others.
It does look like Hiro's villainous moral system is partly a criticism of the simplistic morality of a shonen jump protagonist that only fights for his friends. While that does keep a story simple it does basically teach the concept that morality is tied into how familiar you are with other people. Complex objective moral systems are difficult to explain to children but they are a requirement for modern society in which the vast majority of people will be strangers.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's possible. It always bothered me that most shonen protagonists main motivation was to protect their friends and family, which seems to imply that those outside their inner circle don't matter to them. Hiro's friends, family and pets are the only people that matter to him, besides the fictional characters he connects with. I think he realizes that this is strange, thus his "experiments."
Blood- wrote:
@ lebrel - yes, I am aware that sociopath does not equal killer. My point is that sociopaths who do kill do so out of compulsion. The sating of that compulsion is a form of "fun" for some of them. I don't believe Hiro is killing just for the "fun" of it. He has discovered he has uncanny abilities that allow him to kill with near impunity. Now he's experimenting to see if killing random strangers can evoke some sort of emotional response in him, like he can get by reading manga. The fact that he is a sociopath, and thus cannot empathize with strangers, means his experiments will always "fail."

DmonHiro wrote:
meiam wrote:
No, a sociopath doesn't feel remorse for his action, but that doesn't mean they'll kill for fun.

Hiro is not killing for fun. He's killing so he can feel something. Killing people gives his a rush just like saving people gives Inu a rush. You see that after he killed he said "I'm alive". The killing is not the ends it's just the means. If he could get the same rush another way he would probably do it. But since he does seem to be at least somewhat of a sociopath he does not realize there are other ways.

He wants to see if he's capable of empathizing with strangers, and he discovered that he gets a rush out of holding others' lives in his hands. He reminds me of the main villain in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable spoiler[Kira Yoshikage kills women to feed his sexual fetish for their hands, and anyone who might threaten his quiet, simple life. But he didn't realize how much he enjoyed killing people until he tried it by murdering a whole family...it's pretty gross.]
Yazu13 wrote:
Episode 2 is basically "What if Ayn Rand had a robot body?"

Laughing
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen any of the show but I've read the manga.

I think that with regards the why Hiro is killing people, the idea is a lot simpler -

Hiro died and like the old man, has been replaced by some cyborg double.

Understandably he's taking this very badly and so out of questioning his existence has naturally gone off the deep end.

He's a young boy who is going through a traumatic questioning of his existence, whether he exists or is alive or dead and it seems he's venting this frustration out on others.

Inuyashiki as an old man at the end of his life is taking things better and had come to an acceptance of his frailty and death, and thus this extension through a cyborg body is not taking it as badly.

That's how I see it... As time goes on you'll see an arc to Hiro.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
yep, tht's a very important part of hiro's character.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
These two have basically become omnipotent godlike creatures, but what's the price they have to pay? How much of their original "soul" (for lack of a better word) is still left? Hiro claims that he's still the same but his friend tells him that he's changed, so how much are they actually aware of these changes? It would be interesting if the show focused more on these kind of issues, though i somehow doubt that is going to happen...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Considering what we've seen of his life previous to his physical change, I think he's right in saying he was always like this. He just didn't have the power (or much reason) to test his limits back then, at least not without getting caught, and he didn't care enough about the question to risk the consequences of seeking the answer. His attitude hasn't changed - he was always emotionally and mentally capable of murder - but the risk has been eliminated, so now he's free to do things he wouldn't do before. To Andou, that seems like he's completely changed from the person he knew.

Was anyone else reminded of Ralph Hinkley and his supersuit during the flying sequence? Smile Come to think of it, half the premise seems to be cribbed from The Greatest American Hero, which had aliens bestow a body suit that made Ralph superpowered, he didn't know what all it did or how it worked, and in the second season there was even a second person who had been gifted with the suit, but used its powers for evil. Can't wait for the Maxwell character to show up... Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
^Well, as my old law professor used to say, "everybody is a potential murderer"...still, most of us happen to make it through life without killing anyone. Then again, most of us don't acquire handy super-powers.

But i wonder how long it'll take before society becomes aware of their powers? All those random killings and magically cured cancer patients can't be viewed as a coincidence for very long?
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
These two have basically become omnipotent godlike creatures, but what's the price they have to pay? How much of their original "soul" (for lack of a better word) is still left? Hiro claims that he's still the same but his friend tells him that he's changed, so how much are they actually aware of these changes? It would be interesting if the show focused more on these kind of issues, though i somehow doubt that is going to happen...

I feel like Hiro was always that way, but he just didn't act on his impulses because he knew he was just a simple human and would be accountable to society and the law. Now that he has all of this power and freedom, he can fully commit to his way of thinking and explore it without consequence. There's no need to delve into issues of losing oneself when this show seems to be about fully embracing who you are when given great, unchecked power. Hiro kills people and tries to feel emotion from killing, while Ichiro heals the sick and saves people from the abusive and corrupt. Neither of them could do that without these powers, so now they're just diving deeper into what they always were because they have all of this power to accomplish what they want.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was anyone else reminded of Ralph Hinkley and his supersuit during the flying sequence? Smile Come to think of it, half the premise seems to be cribbed from The Greatest American Hero, which had aliens bestow a body suit that made Ralph superpowered, he didn't know what all it did or how it worked, and in the second season there was even a second person who had been gifted with the suit, but used its powers for evil. Can't wait for the Maxwell character to show up... Smile

Oooh, I knew that a lot of this reminded me of something, and that's exactly it! I remember watching and loving that show as a kid, but sadly, most people only remember it for its more enduring theme song, Believe it or Not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8