• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Industry Takes in Record 2.0 Trillion Yen in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not so fast. Netlix is going to be financing 30 new anime series in 2018. That hardly constitutes a blip.

That is only the tip of the iceberg. I got tired of waiting for ANN to mention this article, but the juicy part is this:

"There's Netflix, Amazon, Crunchyroll and Apple Studios all talking to people, as well as rumors there's another major player about to get involved,"

So Apple (and their humongous war chest) is also entering the fray, as for the rumored major player my bet is on Facebook (a recent Reuters article mentions how they are buying small segments to stream exclusively on their social network). So this rollercoaster is not only not going to reach it's end, it is accelerating!!! All bets are off, I would also not discard that Hulu or maybe even Disney (which back in the day bought the Miyazaki films) to get in the ring next year.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Did you buy it? Or are you looking at the 2015 one?(the free 2016 one is not available yet) Because I didn't see those numbers anywhere in the NHK article, or the AJA overview page, or much of anything about streaming. My Japanese isn't the greatest, but I think I would've noticed that. Confused
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a misunderstanding of the numbers because internet distribution world-wide accounted for nearly 30% of industry revenue in 2015. A drop like that doesn't make any sense. If you get back to me, I can run down the multitude of reasons that it doesn't. Starting with as Blood- noted, Netflix is making 30 anime with significantly larger budgets than a typical TV series. They wouldn't bother if they were truly so insignificant.

I mixed the numbers from 2015 and 2016 up, but unless I brain farted my math I just did a quickie math problem of dividing the 34.9 billion yen export value of overseas sales in 2015 by the 1.83 trillion the industry as a whole made in 2015 which gives us 1.91% of the industry comes from overseas value in 2015, not 30%.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Did you buy it? Or are you looking at the 2015 one?(the free 2016 one is not available yet) Because I didn't see those numbers anywhere in the NHK article, or the AJA overview page, or much of anything about streaming. My Japanese isn't the greatest, but I think I would've noticed that. Confused
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a misunderstanding of the numbers because internet distribution world-wide accounted for nearly 30% of industry revenue in 2015. A drop like that doesn't make any sense. If you get back to me, I can run down the multitude of reasons that it doesn't. Starting with as Blood- noted, Netflix is making 30 anime with significantly larger budgets than a typical TV series. They wouldn't bother if they were truly so insignificant.

I mixed the numbers from 2015 and 2016 up, but unless I brain farted my math I just did a quickie math problem of dividing the 34.9 billion yen export value of overseas sales in 2015 by the 1.83 trillion the industry as a whole made in 2015 which gives us 1.91% of the industry comes from overseas value in 2015, not 30%.

I think you're mixing up two different categories. You should be looking either entirely at the broader market figures(which, for overseas, includes licensing, theatrical releases, merchandise, streaming) or entirely at the limited market one(which, for overseas, is just license fees[physical and digital, but doesn't include streaming royalties, etc]).
That 34.9 billion is the total value of overseas license fees by themselves, which is about 17.4% of the 201 billion of the market in 2015 based on a limited sense. The number for the broader market, which includes streaming and everything else, is 583 billion, which is about 32% of the 1.826 trillion market total value. As you can see international revenue is rather notable.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Youtube reviewers were not a factor in Seven Seas dropping Kodomo no Jikan, Borders being reluctant to carry it was. Please stop spreading the myth of anti-anime/manga social justice crusaders. Some people may not like certain titles and be vocal about it, but they don't censor anything.
That sounds like a misrepresentation of the incident, but I was unaware it was such a controversal hotbutton topic, so just ignore that part then if it's such an issue.

#861208 wrote:
Basically, what I'm saying is that when I look at Japanese fans of anime, and Western fans of anime, I see these two groups going in completely different directions, and that worries me.
It's not so much about the revenue that could be made off of Western fans, though that is a thing... but it's more about... I feel like Western anime fans are going to be pulled out of anime. I feel like we're going to have a bunch of things made for a Western audience - whether in Japan (e.g. Netflix's upcoming material) or out (e.g. Voltron), and that, for the North American and European "anime" fanbase, those shows are going to become more important than the shows made for and by Japan. I feel like Westerners already prefer those shows. Things like Studio Trigger's anime fall into that category as well. MAPPA's work fits in both, as do most big shonen series.
But I feel like there are so many nuanced and interesting areas of Japanese "otaku" pop culture that get completely ignored outside of Japan, and I worry about what will happen to those types of things if they get left out of this internationalizing boom...
Because I don't watch anime for things that are only a step or two removed from DC and Marvel movies. I watch anime for the things you really can't get anywhere else.
I also want to bring new audiences into anime, who might not be interested in shonen or superhero stories, but would be interested in music like the groups I posted links to. Or, who would be interested in a light fantasy romance story that's more glamorous and pretty than the ones you can find in English books - and stories like that never get made into movies or TV outside of anime.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Westerners have little influence over the industry to begin with. If they did, they would have sanitized the medium ages ago. Even in the Era of 4Kids and Saban Japan still continued to do their own thing without a care in the world. Japan will continue to do live events and produce shows and merchandise without a care if they can be profited off of or relevant in the western market.

As far as the Netflix 30, I think people are overblowing it. They said Seven Deadly Sins was their most popular license, meanwhile the extremely sanitized Precure series Glitter Force was a total bomb. If they invest in more stuff like SDS, full of problematic fanservice and action, then anime doesn't seem like it'll change much.

-Stuart Smith
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Commenting on how anime industry in Japanese make money off from live events, I love the active participation of fans through various venues in Japan.

Personally I'm not into English VA/Japanese Seiyuu like some of the commentators here, but I just love the fact that performing events such as talks and singing are far more entertaining than some know-it-all convention panels which feels like a boring press conference/Business Presentation.

When there is a decent following for English voice actors and their performance, I'd love to see local publishers to figure out how to monetize their talents for maximum effect. Japanese publishers/promoters, they create audio dramas and radio talks to promote their small unknown media property first before going big with animation production.

Quote:
There's so much disconnect with merchandise, events, stores, museums, collaborations, fanart, doujinshi, and trends that Westerners will never hear about or know exists unless they actively take part in the Japanese fandom. Honestly, the western fandoms are pretty neglegible when it comes to Japanese media. If one only sticks to English communities, they really do miss virtually everything.

That's the major thing that so-called western anime conventions sorely lack. Japanese fandom has all these experiences that western conventions can't offer. Conventions dealers are selling tacky merchandises which can be found easily online at ripoff prices and most panels feel like some know-it-all press conference/Powerpoint presentation. As for concerts, it feels like most artists and their songs are unknowns to me. If Japanese voice actors are doing a live voice acting performance, sings a song, or cracking jokes on stage, then I don't see why not English voice could do the same.

When I was in Japan on March 2017, I almost went to see late Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent behind-the-scene all night talk event which had staffers who worked with Kon. Although I didn't get inside because tickets were sold out, they displayed Kon's artworks and storyboards. As for me, events like this make anime enjoyable because there is social interaction event outside of convention season.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
When there is a decent following for English voice actors and their performance, I'd love to see local publishers to figure out how to monetize their talents for maximum effect. Japanese publishers/promoters, they create audio dramas and radio talks to promote their small unknown media property first before going big with animation production.

Seiyuu do that because it's expected of them. Seiyuu are expected to have a wide range of talents like singing and dancing in addition to voice acting because they themselves are a brand. English voice actors don't do that stuff, and the work doesn't pay that much. I've heard about American anime voice actors made the jump to video games because there's more moneying in doing games than anime, like Laura Bailey who doesn't really do anime dubs anymore. Union VS non-Union is a real big deal in America as well. Union VAs usually want more money, so companies use non-Union actors since it's cheaper. Voice acting is kind of considered a second fiddle industry here where people cut corners to save costs. In Japan it's not surprising to see the seiyuu being one of the highest paid people in the production.

Quote:
When I was in Japan on March 2017, I almost went to see late Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent behind-the-scene all night talk event which had staffers who worked with Kon. Although I didn't get inside because tickets were sold out, they displayed Kon's artworks and storyboards. As for me, events like this make anime enjoyable because there is social interaction event outside of convention season.

Well, it's kind of hard to do production behind the scenes here since the creators don't live in here, and it's not like the dubbing companies are actually involved in making the show so they don't really have anything to share outside how they dubbed the show. Conventions where you see a few directors show up would be your best bet, but I've never been to those panels so I don't know what they're like. Looking at the guest lists for a few recent conventions though, I do have to point out it seems really weird how many guests have nothing to do with anime are featured at these things these days. I've only been to one American anime convention and it was back in 2003, so I don't know much about modern conventions.

-Stuart Smith
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Seiyuu do that because it's expected of them. Seiyuu are expected to have a wide range of talents like singing and dancing in addition to voice acting because they themselves are a brand. English voice actors don't do that stuff, and the work doesn't pay that much. I've heard about American anime voice actors made the jump to video games because there's more moneying in doing games than anime, like Laura Bailey who doesn't really do anime dubs anymore. Union VS non-Union is a real big deal in America as well. Union VAs usually want more money, so companies use non-Union actors since it's cheaper. Voice acting is kind of considered a second fiddle industry here where people cut corners to save costs. In Japan it's not surprising to see the seiyuu being one of the highest paid people in the production.

That's kind of sad. I don't care much about what venue English voice actors get to perform, but I figured they could figure out some business scheme to make themselves marketable than just doing dubbing for video games and foreign cartoons.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Quote:

Well, it's kind of hard to do production behind the scenes here since the creators don't live in here, and it's not like the dubbing companies are actually involved in making the show so they don't really have anything to share outside how they dubbed the show. Conventions where you see a few directors show up would be your best bet, but I've never been to those panels so I don't know what they're like. Looking at the guest lists for a few recent conventions though, I do have to point out it seems really weird how many guests have nothing to do with anime are featured at these things these days. I've only been to one American anime convention and it was back in 2003, so I don't know much about modern conventions.

Let's break it down for a bit:

Northern California anime convention panels with Japanese guests are still boring. They use press conference setting which lacks energy and fans asking lame questions and so on. That kind of setup is perfect for press members, but not for average fans who want to be entertained.

The closest thing I've got excited was from Kore Yamazaki, Ancient Magus Bride manga artist, doing live drawing demonstration while her editor was running commentary and sharing stories at Crunchyroll Expo. All of them are on stage sitting on high chairs and translator and MC were really good.

For behind the scene stuffs, I only talked about anime creators telling their stories, not dubbing companies spilling beans on their technical "trade secrets". The best English voice actor can do is doing ad lib performance, cracking jokes, or share little stories about how they got involved with dubbing of a particular anime they're promoting. Those are not hard to pull off and it's not like asking local VA to sing or something. My point is that local voice actors should use whatever means to branch out and make names for themselves, but they don't seem to active enough.

Most important thing is conventions need to have a MC who can generate energy to keep thing interesting among average fans.

You're right about how weird it is for so-called Anime convention bring guests who has nothing to do with anime. TV personality? Cosplayers? Chalk Artists? Youtube celebrities? How are these directly involved with Anime, right? It's unfortunate side effect of anime convention trying to please every realm of geek culture. [/quote]
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The report also cites the success of Makoto Shinkai's your name. film as a factor for the growth

Mega Shinkai! The power of Mega Shinkai once again helping the anime industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4