• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Charged with Illegally Dumping 585 AKB48 CDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
It is so funny and sad, that people actually believe the Harvey Weinstein scandal and historic Hollywood culture and scene is just small potatoes when compared to the Japanese Idol scene.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Hollywood at least doesn't have the obsession with purity requiring all their talent to forgo love lives.

Am I reading this correctly in that sexual assault from a boss is preferable to a benign contract clause? Just want to make sure Im not midunderstanding you.

Compelled to Reply wrote:
They're called "idols," meaning people to look up to, for a reason. As the core demographic is and always has been preteen girls, contrary to the obsessed basement dweller stereotype, you want idols to be free from scandals. Compare it to everybody Disney excreted, from Britney Spears to Miley Cyrus.

People here seem to think idols are mainly an otaku thing and nobody else likes them or are their target demography. Imagine if someone said Disney/Nickelodeon starlet shows like Hannah Montana were primarily for old pervs instead of little girls (not that dudes weren't into her, but...)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
By most people's morality and ethics, if there's an election of any kind going on, one person gets one vote, and people spending money to have more say than others is not okay.
In a political election that is true but in a consumer lottery not only is it allowed but companies actively promote it. It would be similar to buying multiple packs of cards to increase your chances of getting a rare card.

Not really. If the chance of getting a rare card is one in 10, it remains one in ten for everyone else no matter how many packs you buy unless you are opening them first or have X-ray vision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Hollywood at least doesn't have the obsession with purity requiring all their talent to forgo love lives.
You picked one heck of a week to make the argument that the idol industry is worse than Hollywood. While there are issues in the idol industry that I consider skeevy I would point out that no one expects idols to stay in the business their entire lives. Most idols do understand that being an idol will be a short term career and some of them do move on to other industries such as acting and music.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Not really. If the chance of getting a rare card is one in 10, it remains one in ten for everyone else no matter how many packs you buy unless you are opening them first or have X-ray vision.
Fair point. Since there is a single winner in a contest it isn't the same thing as cards but it is a contest in which every CD you buy gets you one more vote so it is based on purchasing power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3