• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film Unveils 4 Posters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Still think everyone looks like amateur cosplayers and that film is going to most likely be bad. (Though probably not to the level of badness that Netflix's Death Note is at.)
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
So, who's doing the voice over for Alphonse?

They're obviously keeping it a big secret. If they surprise us with Rie Kugimiya at the last minute I'll laugh.

By the sound of it in the trailers, Al sounds like he's voiced by a teenage or adult male.

Whelp, there goes my theory, probably have aged Al up too 4 or 5 years.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
If Ed is 20, no doubt Al will be 19.

Puzzled by the lack of Armstrong, by the by.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Was I the only one who felt awkward with the way Mae Hughes was raising his arm/hand? Shocked

Yeah, especially given what happened in Conqueror of Shamballa.

I hate to break it to FMA fans, but... uh, the Amestrian military is essentially the Nazis to begin with. An aggressive, expansionist, supremacist military dictatorship that engaged in ethnic cleansing.

Our heroes are just the ones that feel bad about it.

No.
They appear to be more an amalgamated allegory of colonialism, and US interventionalism and expansionism. hence the slaughter of the "brown" Ishvalan people who work as an allegory for Islam.

As much shit as the Nazis did, they [the axis] were still the most multi-ethnic force in history. Nazis would have had no need for any land outside of their nation - which is why the phrase "world domination" when applied to them in lesser researched documentaries irks me. I hear it all the time, but in sifting through documents and talking to various historians I cant find actual proof of attempts to dominate the world (cept France just for Versailles revenge), rather it was a response to the humiliation of defeat, a depression, communist terrorism, and a banking scandal of the 1920s.

I've watched Triumph of the Will, and comparing it to how the AMestrian Military presents itself, lemme tell ya, nooooooot seeing it line up.
Simply put, they dont really make too many parallels to the Amestrian Army, despite what conqueror of Shamballa may have you believe - for one, the Amestrian Military uprising isnt a response to anything They were never a defeated nation , They were never seriously sanctioned by anybody, there is no depression to speak of, and the people are cynical as all hell to their military, not blindly loyal to it. Finally, no concentration camps, just prisoners, refugees, and wars. Just because ethnicity may be psuedoGerman, doesnt immediately mean "Nazi" And considering how much research Mrs. Arkawa put into this work, I really doubt she would leave these things out

I recall there being an interview where the author made it clear that she didn't design these characters as Nazis.
If somebody could spot me that'd be greaaaaat
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
If that "Death Note" Netflix movie is criticized for whitewashing, we can give the same criticism to this movie for "Japanese washing". Seriously, this is 1 of those anime franchises that should have had a Hollywood release by now.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If that "Death Note" Netflix movie is criticized for whitewashing, we can give the same criticism to this movie for "Japanese washing". Seriously, this is 1 of those anime franchises that should have had a Hollywood release by now.

I'm sure some people will argue that "because FMA is a Japanese product to begin with, it should have an all-Japanese cast". Funny though, since I know the Kamen Rider production team does, though rarely, hire non-Japanese people who live over there and can speak fluent Japanese for certain episodes from across the franchise. Maybe they can't locate anyone nearby for this movie, or they just don't want to bother with dealing with a foreigner to play a part in their movie.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
pickypicnic wrote:
Where's Armstrong? Did they write him out because he would be hard to cast?

I don't think there's anyone in Japan big and beefy enough for the role. Anime hyper

With how this movie is looking, it's mostly doing the Father Cornello arc, which Armstrong wasn't in.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
A Man named RJ wrote:

They appear to be more an amalgamated allegory of colonialism, and US interventionalism and expansionism. hence the slaughter of the "brown" Ishvalan people who work as an allegory for Islam.

I agree, the whole thing was clearly a critique of America during the Iraq war years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2