• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Unless you live in a place where streaming services arent available, any excuse for pirating is dumb and laughable. You just don't want to pay the 7$ a month. You are going to buy the BD directly from Japan? Sure lol.

Even if it's not available where you live, if that excuse doesn't work for anything else, why should it work for anime? "Oh, they don't sell USD iTunes cards here, so I just stole some."

True. My own line of thought is just more lenient with people in that situation. If they don't want their money what can they do.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
there are a lot of countries, where 7 dollars is the minimum wage for two days.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Agreed. I currently watch five series on Amazon Strike on a weekly basis, so even assuming I was paying for Prime only for anime, each series would have to price $9 or less for a whole season for the subscription to not be worth it. Would have to be way lower than that for CR.

I have a CR subscription, but until any of the other services prove that they'll RELIABLY get titles (plural) that I want to watch, it is NOT worth the money (so far I haven't watched most of the shows that appear on Amazon & Netflix). I don't know if the recent Sentai+Amazon arrangement will change things, but so far Amazon has (at best) had 1 show per season that I want to see, and Netflix only had LWA. Both services PROBABLY have several shows I'd find entertaining that I'm not yet AWARE I want to watch (like CR this season) but I'm not going to subscribe to either service just to "find out". (if I was going to do so, I may as well just buy the shows ala catre as mentioned)

Right now, the companies distributing through non-CR services (whether their own distribution like Netflix or a partnership like Sentai) are basically just killing my interest in shows they're acquiring. For the sake of the studios in Japan, I SINCERELY hope that whatever other viewers they're gaining maintain their interest to keep money flowing back to the anime studios, otherwise there may be a HARSH reckoning if Netflix and Amazon lose interest.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

If they are paid 3,5 dollars per day, you should realize they wouldn't even afford the technology to illegally watch shows. Stop posting troll comments.

Also, low income doesn't justify crimes. It sad and depressing that they are being severely underpaid, yes. But it still wrong to commit crimes, though if they must steal it should be food, not crap like tv-shows.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
A lot of legal anime watching sites are region locked though. I live in Massachusetts so Crunchyroll's a great option for me, but other people have no choice but to pirate. Then there are high schoolers, who don't have jobs and could not afford subscriptions. Obviously they are going to pirate.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Would a person with a wage of 7$ for 2 days even have a computer or a screen to watch stuff on? Is this comment for real?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also continue to find it amusing that people still complain about "we always hear the same voices" in English dubs but don't for Japanese dubs, where some seiyuu have hundreds of roles to their credits.

Aside from what @AksaraKishou said (voice range) some voice actors have voices for some roles that no doubt the director asks for, i.e. don't know the name but I have recognized in various animes the voice of whoever does the Kotomine Kirei and I do not mind, it is like hearing Jack Nicholson sound like Jack Nicholson, albeit it must be sad for the voice actor since it means they are slowly getting typecasted, but in a market that has new talents every year it must be hard to say no (an excuse that usa voice actors do not have).

It it worth mentioning that crunchyroll, netflix & amazon prime have regional prices (in local currency) precisely because minimum wage is different in different regions of the world. Hidive has yet to realize that simple truth, either they offer regional prices (in local currency) or go USA only like Funimation or Hulu.

GoldCrusader wrote:
Would a person with a wage of 7$ for 2 days even have a computer or a screen to watch stuff on? Is this comment for real?

How about a used cellphone? 480p works just fine in many of them.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Furuzaki wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

If they are paid 3,5 dollars per day, you should realize they wouldn't even afford the technology to illegally watch shows. Stop posting troll comments.

Also, low income doesn't justify crimes. It sad and depressing that they are being severely underpaid, yes. But it still wrong to commit crimes, though if they must steal it should be food, not crap like tv-shows.

Because god knows poor people can't have hobbies and must dedicate their existence just to live the next day right?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is main problem I have with english dubs, and that's hearing the same voice in multiple shows

I really don't get why people say this. If you actually bothered to read the credits, you'd see Japan is doing the exact same thing. Right off the top of my head, Mariya Ise is voicing main characters in two different shows this season (Made in Abyss, Kakegurui). Japan isn't the melting pot of voice talent that people seem to think it is.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
don't know the name but I have recognized in various animes the voice of whoever does the Kotomine Kirei and I do not mind

Jouji Nakata
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also continue to find it amusing that people still complain about "we always hear the same voices" in English dubs but don't for Japanese dubs, where some seiyuu have hundreds of roles to their credits.

For me, at least, I find most Japanese voice actors have more range than American ones. I mean, there are still seiyu's who sound the same in most of their roles, but often they at least sound different (unless you'd watched every single anime they'd been in, whereas then you'd start picking up on the limitation of their range). Meanwhile, a lot of American voice actors just sound the same in 99% of their roles. Not sure why that is, if it's a limitation to their range, or if they're getting paid/expected to do the same sort of voice all the time. (I guess that can be said for certain seiyu's too)

That said I haven't seen a lot of dubs, as I prefer subs. But I do know of certain American voice actors who sound the same in most things they do..............
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
A lot of legal anime watching sites are region locked though. I live in Massachusetts so Crunchyroll's a great option for me, but other people have no choice but to pirate. Then there are high schoolers, who don't have jobs and could not afford subscriptions. Obviously they are going to pirate.

A lot of high schoolers (probably most high schoolers who live in homes that can afford high speed internet) still get allowances, though, even if they don't have jobs. $7 for a month's anime streaming subscription is basically the same price a teen would pay in the US for one combo meal at a fast food place, a handful of iTunes songs, a single volume of a digital manga, or one small popcorn at the movie theater. If they really want a CR subscription, it's not hard to just skip the popcorn when they go see The Fast and the Furious 14 with their friends on Saturday night.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I work in a high school and all the kids have iPads. As I've walked the library, where I mostly see them, I have not seen a single manga-reading or anime-watching kid doing so on a legal site. They all pirate. Some of them have had the balls in the past to suggest to me apps to read thousands of manga. I've told them that stuff is illegal and all they do is ignore me and go back to their usual ways.

Did you all know that kissanime has a patreon page? I kid you not. Nobody has pledged a cent, but it's still ridiculous that they have it. It is telling that even their "followers" are not willing to support their $1000/month server bill.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:
This is main problem I have with english dubs, and that's hearing the same voice in multiple shows

I really don't get why people say this. If you actually bothered to read the credits, you'd see Japan is doing the exact same thing. Right off the top of my head, Mariya Ise is voicing main characters in two different shows this season (Made in Abyss, Kakegurui). Japan isn't the melting pot of voice talent that people seem to think it is.

According to Wikipedia, Saori Hayami has had roles in 15 anime TV series (including Battle Girl High School, Kakegurui, Puzzle & Dragons X, and Fate/Apocrypha this season), 4 anime films, and 5 video games so far this year.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Honestly, that was what I was wondering about with that question too. It's not like the Japanese don't always reuse voice actors. I mean, if every voice actor just played one character and retired after that, there wouldn't be much point in doing it for a living, would it?

invalidname wrote:
Anime is a lot more enjoyable when you stop looking for things to complain about.

I'd say that goes for anything, really.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Honestly, anyone who says they don't have CR because they can't afford it is lying. You can totally afford it, you just don't want to pay it. There's a difference.

I'm using a paid account, but do you need a credit card to use the free subscription? If you do, I can see why some little kids might be excluded from it, especially if their parents say no.

Greed1914 wrote:
That is pretty similar to how I look at it. The bulk of recording is still done by an actor showing up at the studio, which means they need to be local if they hope to make money for their effort. That means that there is a limit to how many people there are to choose from, and that number gets smaller when you consider that many local actors don't know that anime dubbing might be a thing where they live. A lot of actors on Funimation commentaries have mentioned that they only got started because another cast member in a play suggested they audition. Throw in that the dubs need to be both quick (for cost reasons) and good (for the audience) and it's not hard to see why you see a lot of the same names. For what it's worth, Funimation has broadened its actor pool quite a bit, especially now that they are dubbing so much so fast.

I'd credit that to Mike MacFarland, who went to great lengths to avoid repeating roles on One Piece as much as he could (and now his successor, Joel McDonald, is doing something similar). And anyone who knows anything about One Piece would know that's a Herculean task. A result is that many of these actors then played other roles in FUNimation's other shows. Something similar is being done with Fairy Tail too, bringing in people from a lot of different backgrounds in voice acting, from stage performance to indie video games to web videos to even podcasts.

maximilianjenus wrote:

And there are countries that have no minimum wage at all. Streamed anime is not aimed at them.

WingKing wrote:

A lot of high schoolers (probably most high schoolers who live in homes that can afford high speed internet) still get allowances, though, even if they don't have jobs. $7 for a month's anime streaming subscription is basically the same price a teen would pay in the US for one combo meal at a fast food place, a handful of iTunes songs, a single volume of a digital manga, or one small popcorn at the movie theater. If they really want a CR subscription, it's not hard to just skip the popcorn when they go see The Fast and the Furious 14 with their friends on Saturday night.

I'm not sure how common the situation is, but mine was that I did not receive allowance and I had to ask my parents for anything that costs money, and after that it was completely out of my hands. If they didn't want me having it, I didn't have it. That being said, they'd say yes to most things as long as it was reasonably priced and easy enough to get. (My father probably would've actually gotten a Crunchyroll subscription himself and share it with me had it and the Internet existed then like it does now.)

However, I can see, in a household like this, if a parent does not allow their offspring to get a Crunchyroll subscription, them resorting to pirating anime because they have no options short of stealing it or watching it on someone else's device.

harminia wrote:
For me, at least, I find most Japanese voice actors have more range than American ones. I mean, there are still seiyu's who sound the same in most of their roles, but often they at least sound different (unless you'd watched every single anime they'd been in, whereas then you'd start picking up on the limitation of their range). Meanwhile, a lot of American voice actors just sound the same in 99% of their roles. Not sure why that is, if it's a limitation to their range, or if they're getting paid/expected to do the same sort of voice all the time. (I guess that can be said for certain seiyu's too)

That said I haven't seen a lot of dubs, as I prefer subs. But I do know of certain American voice actors who sound the same in most things they do..............

The way I see it, some American voice actors have little to no range (Lara Jill Miller, William Knight, Brian Donovan), while others have a lot of range (Tara Strong, Maurice Lamarche, Billy West). There are some who have a particular sound in their voice they can't truly hide either (Tom Kenny, Sam Vincent, Tress MacNeille). Some of them ARE typecast, however, and it often surprises me when I hear them sound different than I would've expected, such as Stephanie Sheh as Zeena in Sonic Lost World, where her voice is deeper and way snarkier than her usual shrinking violet roles; or Spike Spencer as Arakune in the BlazBlue games, where he got to play the "psychopath" he'd always wanted to play for many years. For both of them, I thought they sounded too similar in all their roles until I heard them in other roles. I didn't recognize Charlie Adler in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 as Spuer-Skrull until I read the cast, and then it became unmistakable.

There's also the idea that the grass is greener on the other side. Just as someone who doesn't know a language may have a tough time identifying accents, they may have trouble identifying voices if they're not REALLY similar to each other. Took me several years, but I did eventually recognize when Laura Bailey plays someone as she has a particular enunciation of certain words that carries through no matter what she sounds like, and this is something I wouldn't be able to tell in any language but English.

Most people I know do not pay attention to who voices whom though, so this is not much of a problem at all unless they are much too similar. So many people are surprised when I tell them that the current voice of Sonic the Hedgehog is the same as of Chris Redfield in the Resident Evil games (Roger Craig Smith). On the other hand, anyone who has seen both Codename: Kids Next Door and Steven Universe could spot Cree Summer's voice from a mile away (but her Medusa voice in Kid Icarus: Uprising is much different and would be unrecognizable to someone used to her usual raspy delivery).

Peebs wrote:
I work in a high school and all the kids have iPads. As I've walked the library, where I mostly see them, I have not seen a single manga-reading or anime-watching kid doing so on a legal site. They all pirate. Some of them have had the balls in the past to suggest to me apps to read thousands of manga. I've told them that stuff is illegal and all they do is ignore me and go back to their usual ways.

My time as a tutor had me seeing a lot of cases like this too. Sometimes, they don't know any better, but most of the time, I suspect they don't really care. Your response that it's illegal just means to them, "I don't want to use that service."

Most of them will eventually move on to something else anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7