• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom of the Elite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
It would make sense if something bad happened to somebody he cared about because they felt inferior -

Going by that route, someone close to him probably committed suicide after being rejected too many times to enter a top university. Such things have happened in japan in real life and if you come from a family where the father, grandfather and so on could get into say, Tokyo University, the pressure will be there even if you get the short stick in the brain power department.

If my supposition is true this would be another shows that taps into the general hate of the average citizen (in japan) that knows they will never be top of the line because they lack the talent, which is a result of a society that gives everybody a chance to success, when everyone has access to good education and being lazy is the rare exception, only those with the best genetics reach the top.

Edjwald wrote:
Whichever, I'd bet my money on Kushida being one loosening screw away from becoming unhinged.

My bet is that Kushida will also physically abuse Ayanokoji sooner rather than later to vent those internalized emotions, and not in the slapstick kind of violence.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
My guess is that Class C is doing this to Sudo to become class B without directly attacking the actual class B since class D is the obvious punching bag that supposedly does not fight back. That is why C & D points are "paused" until the event is solved.

Right now, I'm betting that someone in Class C (maybe even the teacher) is just a pawn of class *B*, and this whole thing is a setup to screw over Class C (who was getting "dangerously" close to surpassing Class B). Class D is of course being "ignored" as a bunch of losers due to their first results. ie. If Class B "tricks" C into a fight with D, they can knock down their rival. With no (perceived) risk since even if Class D somehow "wins" their a bunch of morons who will never catch up to B. It's conceivably better for B to have that case, because if D moves ahead of C, then B can focus on A, since C & D will both be worthless at that point.
Quote:
My bet is that Kushida will also physically abuse Ayanokoji sooner rather than later to vent those internalized emotions, and not in the slapstick kind of violence.

I find that situation hard to believe. Ayanokoji is manipulating things so that they move the way he wants WHILE also keeping HIMSELF out of the spotlight. As the quote from Ep 2 notes, that is VERY difficult. It's not trivial to manipulate results, but a smart person can do it, but it's really tricky to manipulate results as heavily as he is WHILE keeping people focused on others.

The interesting question right now is why Horikita hasn't called him out on it. Most of what he's done through Kushida is explainable as "that's how it HAD to be done", since she's the "friendly" one and he's not. But most (if not all) of what he's credited to Horikita (or done THROUGH her) have not been things where she was necessary to be the focus. (buying Sudo's point, the case with the Student Council)

I don't think we're meant to "empathize" with Ayanokoji, he's clearly keeping a LOT of things close to the vest. The primary questions are what HE is trying to achieve and how he's going to get there.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

I think the writing is trying to have it both ways on Ayanokoji. He's supposedly trying to keep out of the spotlight, but the show is afraid to actually have him do so because they want to highlight his role. There's no reason for him to be physically present at either of the two problems he solves this episode, but he shows up because...? It's hard to see it as much other than a show without the confidence to allow the main character to truly work through others.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
So, finally, 6 episodes in, we are given an explanation for why they chose to make Ayanokouji have no faces except "blank face" and no other voice than "monotone." The problem is, this was probably supposed to be a "reveal" instead of an explanation, and the scene could have had so much more impact if he normally acted well-adjusted and turned off when he was alone or something. Now we're just left wondering why the hell no other characters in the show have ever commented on why his voice has no inflection or why his eyes always look like a dead fish's. It would make Sakura's interest in him a bit more natural than "oh, he doesn't look at me like a sex object, but instead like a speck of dirt, how hot!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
There's no reason for him to be physically present at either of the two problems he solves this episode, but he shows up because...?

Because he wanted to support Sakura? If he's actually as indifferent to her as his expressions and tone of voice imply he wouldn't have offered twice to listen to her problems. And because the three bullies meeting Horakita alone would have been really dangerous? Without another witness to at least give them a moment of hesitation, they might've beaten the crap out of her before she could even point out the cameras. As it was they seemed quite close to going after Ayanokouji before she made her entrance.

What I questioned most in this episode was Sakura, sensing she was being stalked and in danger in a shopping mall, chose to escape toward the least populated parts of the mall. She might as well have gone to hide behind the rack of chainsaws or fled into the cemetery.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
I took this latest episode to be a clever mix of the stereotypical "beach/pool fanservice" episode and the always dreaded "recap" episode, since it spent the entirety of its time reintroducing us to characters and information we already know and (as noted) shoving boobs in our faces. Two bits I especially appreciated are the aforementioned fact that the non-Sudo "worst students" in Class D are indistinguishable, and that Horikita is totally aware that Kushida "probably" hates her. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I would use the word "clever" in any context with respect to episode 7. It was my least favourite yet. There were no stakes I cared about and I found it almost painfully unfunny. But by far the worst part was that Kushida didn't get lezzy with Sakura. Unforgiveable.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was definitely the weakest so far for me. It had some funny moments but the main gag was far too drawn out. But it was some very excellently drawn girls and guys (that Sudo bod) in swimsuits! Everyone seems to have a body of the gods. At least when you're doing unabashed fanservice, you gotta make them look good, which they definitely succeeded.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not sure I would use the word "clever" in any context with respect to episode 7.

I say "clever" because they combined what is usually TWO "throw-away/trash" episodes (water fan-service episode + recap episode) into a single episode. I consider that worth some small praise, since it reduces waste. You're not wasting any "plot" (since it's recap) in the fanservice episode and you're not shoving (...extra) fanservice into a "relevant" episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't really consider episode 7 to be a recap. Yes, some already known character stuff was repeated in textual form, but that doesn't qualify as an episode recap in my opinion. A true recap is when they simply take highlights of previous episodes and edit them together.
Number 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The more I grow older, the less patience I have for these plans made by desperate anime guys to see women naked, so I deliberately skipped those moments of "bonding". However, I certainly enjoyed the jokes around Horikita, Sakura's cuteness and the plot twist of the MC being in on the plan as well as the reasoning for it.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 wasn't terrible, but then again I don't think the show is terrible and completely bottom of the barrel like Nick is stating. We also learned that Class C is at more risk of falling apart than Class D is and that they are not all evil overlords that bend to the bully's will. This will most likely give Class D a good leg up heading into the "survival games".

At this point though I'll probably just start skimming through the episode reviews as it has turned into recap + complaining. There's not even humor there to supplement like in the case of Isekai Smartphone.
Taifood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
Is Ayanokoji the subject of some kind of experiment? I can't find plot elements of the source material anywhere, but that's what the show has made it seem like so far.

I don't think this show is bad at all but the way he gives no mind to Kushida's other personality is really annoying for some reason.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Why do only girls get sunscreen? oO Guys get sunburns and skin cancer too.

Aside from toilet paper and sanitary supplies, which didn't seem to be the issue, I don't see why the box toilet would be such a major hardship for the girls. What I do know is that I would never want to go camping with most of this dainty bunch, especially Miss I'm-Too-Intellectual-To-Lift-A-Finger. I'd probably be straight-up strangling a few people by Day 4.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and if any other classes found out your leader, they'd be able to claim an additional fifty points for themselves.

I think it's important to note the rule distinction that at the END of the thing you can GUESS other class leaders. If you're right you get +50 points, but if you're wrong you get -50 points.

For me, a BIG aspect of how "clever" this anime thinks it is and how well it implements that will come in how that plays out. In this episode we have Ayanokoji discover a "leader" pretty immediately. If that's NOT a fake out, then I'm really disappointed in the "smarter" classes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5