• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Big O

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I miss hearing Steve Blum in Anime, the only thing I've seen him in recently is Durarara!!!. After 08 his roles quickly went down from 4-6 to only 1-2.

Same here, I'm glad we still get to hear him regularly as TOM, so we still hear him with our anime, and on other cartoons otherwise it'd be really brutal, but I really miss hearing him in more anime. Hmmm, I think Expelled From Paradise was the last anime I've heard him in.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I loved Big O, i wish the later part of the story wasn't changed from what 1st season had hinted. Big war with Megadeus and monsters that destroyed the world.
Agreed, the first season was great but I think the second season conclusion jumped the shark. Sometimes more is less and spoiler[their city being part of a game show and the reality manipulation stuff didn't work that well]. I think that sometimes sticking to the classic ending of good guy beating the bad guy and saving the world works better than an overly elaborate ending.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
I loved Big O, i wish the later part of the story wasn't changed from what 1st season had hinted. Big war with Megadeus and monsters that destroyed the world.
Agreed, the first season was great but I think the second season conclusion jumped the shark. Sometimes more is less and spoiler[their city being part of a game show and the reality manipulation stuff didn't work that well]. I think that sometimes sticking to the classic ending of good guy beating the bad guy and saving the world works better than an overly elaborate ending.

I don't have the background on the production, but I always got the feeling that the order for the second season caught Sunrise off guard, and they needed a teleplay like yesterday. What saddened me most was how much of Roger's charm and confidence just evaporated.

As for an "elaborate ending", I always felt that it never ended at all. Of all the anime I've ever watched, Big O is the one title that screams for a proper conclusion (the only other contender in my book is the Tylor OVA.) But to be honest, it would take one hell of a writing job for a season 3 to reconcile the first two years...

But despite everything, Big O remains a favorite--so much so that I'm still sharing the show with friends and family even today. Of all the romantic couples I've seen in anime, Roger and Dorothy stand out...and having first watched the show in my early forties, my wife and I would chuckle at the "old married couple".

"Showtime," indeed!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Satisfying ending? I thought that was supposed to be a cliffhanger for a third season they never got.

Usagi-kun wrote:

After Toonami/Adult Swim took over the late night block, I also remember the ones for FLCL, Inuyasha, and Cowboy Bebop (also great dubs). I really don't hear as much about some of these classic VA's from that time period. Steve Blum is also Wolverine, but seems to be below the anime radar, or doing cameos. What are Richard Cox and Richard Hayworth up to these days?

Richard Ian Cox is a Vancouver voice actor, and so he's largely doing western animation right now (primarily, but not exclusively, Canadian animation, and there is actually a LOT of it produced--just that most of it is low-profile and never leaves Canada).
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
As for an "elaborate ending", I always felt that it never ended at all.
True, and spoiler[the story basically went back to square one which is a poor way to end a story].

Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Of all the anime I've ever watched, Big O is the one title that screams for a proper conclusion (the only other contender in my book is the Tylor OVA.) But to be honest, it would take one hell of a writing job for a season 3 to reconcile the first two years...
Considering the age of the show a remake would be the best option. I think Big O has great potential for a remake though the only way I could see it happening is if a Western company was behind it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Big O is my all-time sentimental favorite anime series, and I pre-ordered this release as soon as it was available, which is something I pretty much never do. Yeah, it's a bummer to lose the original opening (I went out of my way to get the older Bandai DVD releases to make sure I had it), but this was an absolute must-buy from day one. The robots are awesome, the music is fantastic, the dub is iconic, and every square inch is dripping with noir. Yes please.

(Series director Kazuyoshi Katayama was also behind the early-2000s Sunrise series Argento Soma, which was pretty fun in its own right.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Sentai's Blu-Ray release does everything it can to preserve The Big O's best qualities, and it succeeds for the most part. Being a product of the SD era, the boxy aspect ratio and grainy footage was never going to look all that great, but that's to be expected for a show that's almost old enough to buy a drink here in the States.
The heck does "boxy aspect ratio" mean? If I can come up with a box that's ~20" by 12", does that make 16:9 a "boxy" aspect ratio, too? If I go back to old reviews of early-2000s 16:9 shows like Noir, .hack//SIGN, or Mahoromatic, I doubt I'll find any statements like "The envelopey aspect ratio isn't going to look all that great." In other words, an aspect ratio that differs from the screens most viewers happen to have may be worth noting, but it's not an inherent flaw. Of course, if Sentai had also done a DVD release for Big O, we could've watched it on 4:3 CRT TVs instead (surely I'm not the only one who keeps a set around for retro video games?), thereby solving the aspect ratio "problem."

And here I was wondering about the jab at "the standard definition era" myself as if that actually means anything in predigital days. The real problem is that sweet spot where the medium advanced to computers but stuck to the path of least pixels because it was just for 4:3 TVs. My BD of Magic Knight Rayearth may be 4:3 but it doesn't mean the HD treatment doesn't do a thing for its film stock.

Also, I don't understand the problem with running 4:3 images on a modern widescreen TV; You're not losing anything on height or any image at all so you're miles ahead of the time when widescreen images appeared on 4:3 screens.... or really widescreen images, 2.35:1 and greater, are played back on modern TVs.

As for the Big O, I saw the first season and thought it was ok, a little too aloof for its own good but I do like Metropolis and the art deco style is just one of the things the show... stole, let's just say that outright... from that film. Pity it didn't bother to take the heart and humanity.

I've no interest to watch season 2. I still have to get the BD of the latest Metropolis cut first. Priorities and all that...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I miss hearing Steve Blum in Anime, the only thing I've seen him in recently is Durarara!!!. After 08 his roles quickly went down from 4-6 to only 1-2.

its more than likely (though i hope thats not the case) he might do the same as bailey and her husband and basically be exclusively to US cartoon series like some of the disney xd series or the transformers rescue bots series as well as some videos game roles.

I've heard him in several commercials as well in recent years. Most notably the wonderful pistachio commercials as the narrator.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I've heard him in several commercials as well in recent years. Most notably the wonderful pistachio commercials as the narrator.

There was also the 7-Eleven commercials from a couple of years ago, when they had the tagline "Oh thank heaven!"

Also a commercial from last year involving stick figures selling something I don't remember. It sticks out in my head mainly because it would air during Toonami commercial breaks, and Blum would use the exact voice he uses for TOM. If I was off doing something else (like in the kitchen or something), this commercial would fool me into thinking the break was over as I heard his voice.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

There was also the 7-Eleven commercials from a couple of years ago, when they had the tagline "Oh thank heaven!"

I had forgotten about that! Now that you mention it though I remember it clearly. I remember thinking, much as I did with the pistachio commercials, holy crap Spike's doing commercials! I guess there's no bounties to collect on heh. Silly I know, but that's my brain.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

its more than likely (though i hope thats not the case) he might do the same as bailey and her husband and basically be exclusively to US cartoon series like some of the disney xd series or the transformers rescue bots series as well as some videos game roles.
I do wonder if he will return for Code Geass, as thinks stand it looks like Funimation will be dubbing it, and unless they outsource to Bang Zoom! I can't see them bothering to get him.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
How can a late 90s animated series animation "be dated"? Too many shortcuts? Lack of movement? In the animation department, I don't really notice such a gap between this period of time and nowadays average animation. Movements are usually not more detailed/realistic or I don't know.

(I'm not aggressive or defending, I never saw more than an episode a long time ago; I am simply wondering)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
How can a late 90s animated series animation "be dated"? Too many shortcuts? Lack of movement? In the animation department, I don't really notice such a gap between this period of time and nowadays average animation. Movements are usually not more detailed/realistic or I don't know.

(I'm not aggressive or defending, I never saw more than an episode a long time ago; I am simply wondering)

During the late 90's, a lot of animation was still drawn on cels, and digital animation was still pretty new. Nearly all animation is done digitally nowadays (the only ones that do have to special-order or manufacture their own cels). The result is that animation during that time had film grain, inconsistencies in things like outline thickness and onscreen text, and other imperfections that aren't present in today's animation. (Of course, today's animation isn't drawn perfectly either, but it's easy to tell digital from analog.) These differences are mainly what makes something look dated, and it seems to be the primary turn-off for viewers who aren't accustomed to it. (Except for film grain. The lack thereof in Pixar's movies caused viewers to feel uncomfortable, so they add a small amount of artificial film grain into all of their movies.)

There are shows like Samurai Jack and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (as well as the European video game Cuphead) that are deliberately made to look like cel animation, but it is an expensive process requiring a lot of extra steps, and except for Cuphead, they do away with most of the grainy texture of analog animation.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:

Not sure why the reviewer made this comment. The animation for the first season of Big O is wonderful. There's a bit of stock footage, but overall the series looks amazing.

Animation for the second season however...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:

Animation for the second season however...

At least for the original airing, I really liked how this is one of the few, perhaps the only, attempt at an anime to lip-synch to the English dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3