• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update: What's Going On with Anime News Network?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sympathies on the domain hijack and generally the resolution goes well now that the laws in the United States include digital goods. Most of the horror stories on domain hijacks were from 5+ years ago when it wasn't considered a form of theft. It was horrible though that they even went out of the way to attack the Twitter accounts.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So the hacker took my original account and got it suspended by tweeting a bunch of violent threats. They did the same thing with @anime, but that case was viewed as a corporate incident, not a personal one. I appealed the case to Twitter and they told me they won't restore any account shut down for violent threats.

Wonderful... a griefer. Didn't want money or ransom or nothing -- just wanted to cause damage.

Hope y'all have gotten law enforcement involved...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I appealed the case to Twitter and they told me they won't restore any account shut down for violent threats.

Even if it's obvious you weren't the one making the threats? Well that's the sort of brilliant response I'd expect of Twitter. Give the hackers exactly what they wanted - that'll sure discourage them! Rolling Eyes
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's great that we went back up so fast on the alternate domain. Looks like the original domain was transferred to another company. Hopefully that can be sorted out without too much difficulty.

Pity about the twitter accounts though. Sad

I agree with Gina: not accepting appeals for false threats only encourages false threats as a form of attack.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Just took a look at the original article, it appears that someone may have gotten a bit happy with the "Search & Replace" function all the references to animenewsnetwork.
com
in the original article now refer to the .cc address.

Hmmm, it's not S&R but something active. It changed my post on the fly. Wheee!

Mark Gosdin
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I can kind of see twitter's side. Say someone legitimately made violent threats but appealed it to twitter and falsely claimed to have been hacked at the time. Since actual threats and harassment seem to be more of a problem than false threats to get an account taken down, I see why they would err on the side of not restoring an account through which threats were made. They ought to figure out a way to discern between threats made by the user and threats made while compromised though.

*This is purely a hypothetical. This should not be read as a suggestion that anyone has actually done so
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
They might have to go through a UDRP proceeding to get the domain back, depending on how it was taken. Companies have successfully used that to get back stolen domains in the past.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

So the hacker took my original account and got it suspended by tweeting a bunch of violent threats. They did the same thing with @anime, but that case was viewed as a corporate incident, not a personal one. I appealed the case to Twitter and they told me they won't restore any account shut down for violent threats.

So there's direct evidence that your account was compromised because your place of employment was hacked, and yet they're not going to do anything about it? That's a colossal level of bullshit.
Calico

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine how pathetic the hacker must be to do this. Since they apparently thought it was important enough to get personal twitter accounts suspended as well, it looks like it was also a personal attack. I hope you guys manage to get the domain back and catch whoever did this.
Farix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
So there's direct evidence that your account was compromised because your place of employment was hacked, and yet they're not going to do anything about it? That's a colossal level of bullshit.

Twitter's poor customer service is one of the reasons people are leaving it in droves.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Honestly it's fine, we just want to get back to work. A fresh start on Twitter is not the worst thing for me. Smile

As some have said already I find it rather shitty, given the circumstances, that they will not give you your account back. I could potentially see it if it was JUST your personal account hacked and nothing regarding ANN itself. Then it's a he said she said can you prove it blah blah blah situation. By giving you guys back @anime they are admitting they know it was due to hacking. By giving that account back they are acknowledging you are not at fault and that this is related. So if they're going to give one account back they should give them all back that were involved in this. I have to share the sentiment that their customer service continues to be as useful as being a communications director for some people. I can understand that fighting it probably seems like more trouble than it's worth to you personally, especially given that the important thing to you I am sure is the website first and anything involved with it. It still sucks wrinkled donkey balls though.

Though I gotta ask you boss, when we get the old domain back could we make a slight upgrade? I think it's time we got a nice fancy Nespresso machine and got rid of that 30 year old Mr Coffee pot that speaks in Aramaic now when it makes coffee. I don't speak Aramaic, but I am pretty sure it insulted my mother. Or called down a plague of locusts.
Jinnie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I'm so sorry. This really sucks. Kudos to all ANN staff for getting this up and running so quickly. Keep fighting the good fight!
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I was wondering why I couldn't access ANN recently. Then I tried another browser and got directed to that random hacked server page.

So I guess somebody fell for a spear phishing attempt? Maybe two factor authentication wasn't available or turned on for whatever registrar was being used? Didn't activate any Twitter security features?

Really sucks that something like this happened. Wish I could help out somehow, but it looks like your admin is taking care of things quickly.

Hopefully you guys can get your domain back quickly. It looks like the new registrar is Chinese or something. Plus the hacker is trying to obscure his own server by using CloudFlare, of all things. (not that it really matters)
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
I always hate it when I see the site I go to multiple times a day having issues. For the past decade I've checked ANN daily. You guys are my go to place for news and content. I sincerely hope that things will work out and ANN will be back in fighting form. Best of luck staff. <3
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Though I gotta ask you boss, when we get the old domain back could we make a slight upgrade? I think it's time we got a nice fancy Nespresso machine and got rid of that 30 year old Mr Coffee pot that speaks in Aramaic now when it makes coffee. I don't speak Aramaic, but I am pretty sure it insulted my mother. Or called down a plague of locusts.

They're honeyed locusts, for flavor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11