• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yea there is an alternative, it's called wait.

Why would I do that when I don't have to? Who in their right mind willingly chooses the worst outcome for themselves? Thta's pretty much against human nature at this point.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
I feel like Gabe Newell's infamous quote on piracy isrelevant here.

Quote:
We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable.

Basically, Netflix's service for new anime is trash. Don't be surprised when people pirate. They can fix their problems if they don't want people to pirate shows like these. I say this as someone who has watched maybe one or two series fansubbed, and I've been a fan of anime for around twenty years.

I don't condone pirating anime that Netflix licenses, but I understand it. And you can say "Well, back in my day we had to wait until the official release came out, fight through horrid weather to the brick and mortar store, and pay MSRP for our anime!", but I was a fan back then. I'd rather not have to go through that again. Simulcasting has been a blessing. I'm sure Netflix doesn't care, but any company involved in streaming that licenses new shows but doesn't simulcast deserves all the blowback they get. I was looking forward to this show, and I am very frustrated that a crappy company like Netflix who has no idea what they're doing in the anime business picked this up.

I also find it absolutely hilarious that there's people in this thread acting like we should be ecstatic that a giant corporation not even really interested in anime picked up a show and is already botching the streaming of it. I guess there really is a defense force for everything.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote
we should be thankfull, that a big name like Netflix is trying to push anime releases..., even if they still have to learn, that simultaneously released is way better for the views and fans
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
Listen, I'm fine with Netflix's anime game, both on the fronts of original and acquiring anime. I find myself unable to do this week by week thing anymore and I used to be able to do 10-12 shows a week and usually about 50 shows a year. Anime became a chore and I burnt out. This was like 5 years ago. Still burnt out to this day. I don't watch much these days unless a friend gives me some passes, then it's a couple of shows. I used to be hardcore but now I'm just casual. And perhaps not this community but many others I were an active participant in, are pretty bad.

Anyways, one week a while back I was sick, so I wanted something comfortable and familiar. Fortunately with the binge watching Netflix provides, I watched shows I never would've watched in the first place if they had been weekly. Ajin, Sidonia, Seven Deadly Sins and Little Witch Academia (sure, the first 13 but dang I'm hooked). It was also easy that they were dubbed too. Bad weather? Get the eggs, bacon and toast. Comfort food, let's see what I can discover next from Netflix's anime offerings.

Even my non-anime friends ask for anime recs from Netflix. They have no interest in Crunchy, Funi or any of that other stuff. They've got Netflix and that's all they want. Netflix is ultimately a double edged sword. Honestly, I'm seeing all the good it brings more than the bad. Anime shouldn't have to be a chore which is just how I see people who follow 10 or more a season. Been there, done that, never again.
himesaminako

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

NBlaze53 wrote:
To those defending Netflix and calling others "Impatient", tell me. Do you go see a movie 3 months after it came out in theaters and still expect anyone to be talking about it? It's about the community! Interacting with people and talking about the twists and turns as it airs. Instead with Netflix people get "Oh, that show? But it aired months ago" whenever they bring it up in conversations. You can't theorize about what the next episode might hold weekly with friends. Netflix ruins what many find appealing about anime as it airs, the speculation and conversing between the community.

I do.

Especially tokusatsu movies, that get no release outside of Japan and we'll have to wait until a BluRay comes out in Japan and gets fansubbed. And, for the record, it's not much different for anime here, except we can pirate the official subs in a matter of hours. No official release, no dub, pretty much same thing. On the other hand, Netflix handling it means official means to get it, both subbed and dubbed, for the price of waiting a bit. I'd take it over no chance to see it legally at all.

If noone talks about a movie or show a month after it aired, then it must have been not a very good one. I'd take quality over quantity, thank you very much.

I know I'm a bit late here, but you 100% missed the entire point of that whole post and just started arguing something entirely different and unrelated to the original point. No one was even talking about choosing between quantity or quality, that's not related at all to this discussion.

Last edited by himesaminako on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
I think it's you who missed my point. Hint: I'm not living in US.
himesaminako

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
I think it's you who missed my point. Hint: I'm not living in US.

You living or not living in the US has nothing to do with the quote you replied to, which was my point. You really do need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills if you missed the point of my post as well, because you bringing up your living location literally serves as evidence of you not understanding the point of the post you replied to. Which was my point.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
Nope, that's just your opinion. NBlaze53 sked a question, I replied with argument and backed it up. What part of it you have trouble understanding?

EDIT: Since you keep editing your posts, let me do the same. The poster I was replying to pointed out that by delaying a show, people who will wait will miss the live discussion. Same thing happens all the time and yes, people do wait if it's worth it - as proved by other posters. Can you please specify what part of his post I didn't understand? Because it seems you're the only one who thinks that way.

Last edited by AtoMan on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
himesaminako

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Nope, that's just your opinion. NBlaze53 sked a question, I replied with argument and backed it up. What part of it you have trouble understanding?

Holy cow you are dense, I actually cannot tell if you're trolling me at this point or you actually do lack reading comprehension. NBlaze53's question wasn't the important part of his post, it was a segue to his real point. Did you completely miss the last sentence of his post?

NBlaze53 wrote:
Netflix ruins what many find appealing about anime as it airs, the speculation and conversing between the community.

You didn't address that at all. NBlaze53 isn't saying that airing the series late makes it irrelevant in future discussions, he's saying that airing it late ruins the communal experience of discussing the show while it's being broadcasted weekly allowing for speculation and conversation about the anime. That was his point. You completely missed it and argued a point that no one was talking about. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Do you get me, now?

EDIT: Yes I do like to read over my post after I've posted it and adjust it accordingly. Quality over quantity, after all?

EDIT x2: Forgive me for coming off as kind of rude, I reread my post and I do think I was being a bit rude. But back to the point, NBlaze wasn't saying that Netflix is inherently flawed and that they suck, he's saying that their approach to handling the release of the anime is flawed. I think he has a right to say that. Just because others are used to waiting for releases doesn't make their approach any less of an opposite approach to the simulcast standard of anime releases we've seen recently, and it does destroy the live-airing community discussion potentials. Perhaps he should rephrase the question better because I do not believe his analogy was sufficient: Do you go and watch an entire series 6 months after it airs and still discuss your thoughts on each episode and speculation for the next episode with many others around you? That is the real point of Blaze's post and I think you missed that.

And I still do not know what quality over quantity has to do with anything, which is what confused me the most in your post.

Last edited by himesaminako on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
himesaminako

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Yeah, not gonna keep replying to you. Not on your level. Let's just wait for mods to take care of you.

Quoting for those who won't see the post if you edit it out.

himesaminako wrote:
AtoMan wrote:

Holy cow you are dense, I actually cannot tell if you're trolling me at this point or you actually do lack reading comprehension. NBlaze53's question wasn't the important part of his post, it was a segue to his real point. Did you completely miss the last sentence of his post?

NBlaze53 wrote:
Netflix ruins what many find appealing about anime as it airs, the speculation and conversing between the community.

You didn't address that at all. NBlaze53 isn't saying that airing the series late makes it irrelevant in future discussions, he's saying that airing it late ruins the communal experience of discussing the show while it's being broadcasted weekly allowing for speculation and conversation about the anime. That was his point. You completely missed it and argued a point that no one was talking about. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Do you get me, now?

EDIT: Yes I do like to read over my post after I've posted it and adjust it accordingly. Quality over quantity, after all?

I'm not going to edit it out? (That is actually so presumptuous, but thanks anyway?) I've replied to the rest of your post in my edit but I'll edit it into here anyway: (I also do not know why you have such a condescending attitude; perhaps if you discarded your quick & snappy short post responses and actually provided a proper explanation in one post regarding why you think I misunderstood you instead of taking a couple of vague and ambiguous meaning posts we'd have gotten farther in this discussion earlier instead of repeating ourselves for no reason. It really does make this an insufferable discussion but I will continue along)

NBlaze wasn't saying that Netflix is inherently flawed and that they suck, he's saying that their approach to handling the release of the anime is flawed. I think he has a right to say that. Just because others are used to waiting for releases doesn't make their approach any less of an opposite approach to the simulcast standard of anime releases we've seen recently, and it does destroy the live-airing community discussion potentials. Perhaps he should rephrase the question better because I do not believe his analogy was sufficient: Do you go and watch an entire series 6 months after it airs and still discuss your thoughts on each episode and speculation for the next episode with many others around you? That is the real point of Blaze's post and I think you missed that. You may not be in the US but what he's saying isn't any less true.

And I still do not know what quality over quantity has to do with anything, which is what confused me the most in your post. You must realize that my point is that you argued against a point that wasn't really being discussed, Blaze's post wasn't actually about your personal experience with anime waiting times but rather whether what Netflix is doing destroys the potential for live-airing discussion re the anime, a point you didn't quite address and brushed off with "I have waited before and so I will continue waiting" which is an understandable response but doesn't actually address Blaze's point and misses it completely.

Last edited by himesaminako on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
You guys just being entitled now
You are joking right?

Weekly simulcasts are an industry standard. We should expect and demand more from a company that's bigger than Crunchyroll, Sentai, Viz and Funimation combined.

We shouldn't let them get away with this. We need to hold Netflix accountable for their bad decisions. We need them to know that the way they do business just isn't going to cut it in this industry, or else they're just going to recklessly continue doing it this way for god knows how long.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm obliged to every argument and every post.

Quote:
Do you go and watch an entire series 6 months after it airs and still discuss your thoughts on each episode and speculation for the next episode with many others around you?

If it's relevant? Sure.

If it's not? Well, bummer. If the series is so short-lived, I'm not missing much. There are still other shows I can discuss live. Or movies, because there's a number of those I still didn't see. I have work to do, which takes most of my time; I have other hobbies, which is apparently weird in this community, as stated by people in this thread.

A lot of titles each season are adaptations of previously released media. What's the point of speculating who dies in a series that was adapted from manga chapters that were out for months already? It's not like with, say, US DC TV series that are loosely adapted from source material and are ongoing, so anything can happen.

With delayed anime you can still discuss stuff. You can still speculate about future seasons. You can discuss each episode, each arc, each character. Just like people do with other series released in bulk. The weekly discussion threads might be fun with original content, sure. And with fansubs, people still can do that. I do that.

Yet with all series coming out every month, I don't think waiting a bit for one or two titles is that big of a deal. Especially with Netflix having a wider audience to cater, so the title can reach more viewers, with all subs and dubs following.

And last time I checked, people still had a discussion/speculation threads for Netflix shows.
himesaminako

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
I don't think I'm obliged to every argument and every post.

Quote:
Do you go and watch an entire series 6 months after it airs and still discuss your thoughts on each episode and speculation for the next episode with many others around you?

If it's relevant? Sure.

If it's not? Well, bummer. If the series is so short-lived, I'm not missing much. There are still other shows I can discuss live. Or movies, because there's a number of those I still didn't see. I have work to do, which takes most of my time; I have other hobbies, which is apparently weird in this community, as stated by people in this thread.

A lot of titles each season are adaptations of previously released media. What's the point of speculating who dies in a series that was adapted from manga chapters that were out for months already? It's not like with, say, US DC TV series that are loosely adapted from source material and are ongoing, so anything can happen.

With delayed anime you can still discuss stuff. You can still speculate about future seasons. You can discuss each episode, each arc, each character. Just like people do with other series released in bulk. The weekly discussion threads might be fun with original content, sure. And with fansubs, people still can do that. I do that.

Yet with all series coming out every month, I don't think waiting a bit for one or two titles is that big of a deal. Especially with Netflix having a wider audience to cater, so the title can reach more viewers, with all subs and dubs following.

And last time I checked, people still had a discussion/speculation threads for Netflix shows.

I feel like you are still missing the point... But I will say first off that it just sounds like you aren't into the entire discuss-while-airing thing anyway, excuse me if I'm wrong, because it does sound like you take no interest in discussing and speculating animes as they air, in which case, I think we can just agree to disagree, because I do think there is a point to discussing and speculating adaptations taken from source material.

Lots of people aren't aware of or haven't viewed the original source material, but just because there is source material doesn't mean there's no point in speculating where the adaptation will go anymore, even if it strictly follows it. Attack on Titan is a great example, I know many people who were watching it live and were discussing it and speculating each episode as it was airing, but everything in the anime had already been finished with in the manga; that doesn't make those discussions pointless at all, in my opinion. Lots of people find joy in conversing like that, even though every plot point at that point was already known to manga readers, anime viewers still had fun talking about what would happen next and what they thought would happen next. I can see why you find no point in it, but I think we just have differing opinions here, both of which I think are valid.

And it's really not just limited to speculation on every episode; watching anime in singular weekly episode format gives more time to discuss one episode at a time. Watching in bulk makes you talk about most parts as a whole, or makes you easily forget some tiny details in one episode that you'd like to discuss, because it's been overshadowed by the rest of the episodes you viewed. When you watch one at a time, it really gives you the opportunity to talk about elements in that episode alone. Talking about elements in specific episodes becomes harder if you bulk/binge watch, I find mostly because it kind of mixes together as one whole viewing experience instead of multiple viewing experiences which also make a whole. Perhaps you think differently, though, but that's what I find. But to me, though, it just sounds like you don't think it's practical or there's a point to that, but I think that doesn't make it any less valid.

Regarding waiting for one title being a big deal or not, I would agree if the title was delayed wholly. But it's different, because the entire anime isn't being delayed, only the global release is. It wouldn't be a big deal, normally, but for a project like this with the studio behind it, it's a bigger deal than say some obscure anime that was expecting a rerelease but the rerelease got pushed back. By foregoing simulcasting, Netflix has accidentally divided the watching community for this anime into two; those who watched it while airing and those who are waiting for the official release to come out; this is an entirely different point but it's a whole new thing that happens by holding the anime back a couple months. I don't think I was too clear on that point but hopefully you get the jist of what I'm saying.

And finally, yes, with delayed anime you can still discuss stuff, but again, we're straying off the main point here. It's not about whether you can or cannot discuss stuff, but it's about whether it's the same experience, which, it just inherently isn't, in my opinion. Discussing anime being aired live is very different when discussing the entire anime as a whole post-air; both are possible but are they the same? I seriously do not think so. And by foregoing the simulcast approach in favor of a bulk release approach, I think Netflix has ruined some things for Violet Evergarden for many viewers. Will it still be successful? Most likely. I do think that in the end, the net effect is that people who want to watch it will watch it anyway and it'll gain more exposure globally as it's got an official release in a very mainstream service, but I still think Netflix, by approaching it as a bulk release, ruined a lot of things for legitimate viewers of the anime, as opposed to simulcasting it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Netflix's interest in anime is a good thing, especially their funding of original content.

On second thought for me, it makes sense that Netflix would go this distribution route, because that is how they do things as a company. Doesn't mean it is right or wrong.

Companies do things their way and we as the customer must decide if we like that or not. While I think this is a boon for fansubbers, I don't think Netflix will really care.

There is a significant difference between weekly just off the air discussions, and end of series discussions. I remember watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica weekly and participating in the episode discussions each week. It was exciting and exhilarating. I am sorry, but you just can't hand wave that away. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't see Netflix users having the same experience.

I am not arguing about what is right or what should be. We already know what fans are going to do for the most part.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Anime Strike is also a joke. They are constantly delaying the shows. At least companies site CR have the decency to put a note saying there will be a delay. However, Amazon having much bigger pockets should mean we get the episode at least 12 hours after the Japanese airdate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8