• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Remake Like It's 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I definitely think Zoids could benefit being remade. Maybe this time more adult like more recent Gundam series. Thunderbolt for example.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
There's no need to remake Crest/Banner of the Stars. Someone only needs to continue it.

I think the idea is that the visual style has become somewhat outdated and/or is inaccurate to the books themselves.

pajmo9 wrote:
I'm glad to see Tiger and Bunny is number 1 but it's sad to see so many people want to ruin Cowboy Bebop. Laughing

I've only seen a few shows on the remake list but I never really thought any of them needed a remake. With the exception of Betterman, which I'm indifferent to, the others are shows that I found to be far above average. Saying they need a remake is almost insulting. Laughing

The thing is...things that flop typically don't get enough attention or the external funding needed to remake them, which is why you rarely ever see remakes of something unsuccessful.

As for the first statement, I think it's a matter of people who want absolutely everything explained versus people who want just enough explained so the story makes sense. You seem to fall into the latter category. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to understand that there are people in the former category too.

Think of it as Midichlorians versus Minovsky Particles. Both are subatomic particles that serve to explain a lot of seemingly disparate minute details. Star Wars fans tend to fall into the leave-things-unexplained camp and reacted harshly to Midichlorians, whereas Gundam fans tend to fall into the explain-everything camp and accepted Minovsky Particles. (Now, I know there are a lot of things explained about the Minovsky that Star Wars never bothers to explain with the Midichlorians that allows it to fit into its franchise better than Midichlorians, but frankly, that's part of the point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can recall, the only time it's essential to the story is as a motivation for humans to travel into space to harvest it, but that might as well be helium-3 or iridium or thunderbolt iron some other substance not commonly found on Earth but easily found in space.)

This divide between leave-things-unexplained and explain-everything caused a rift in the fanbase for the remake of Battlestar Galactica, for instance. (Not counting the fans of the original series who didn't want a remake in the first place.) Later seasons started providing non-narrative answers to how their universe works and filling in the gaps previously only implied or hinted at. The former group got annoyed at the writing for doing that, while the latter group loved it even more.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
MJKS wrote:
Crest/Banner of the Stars gets the hero image spot on the home page carousel? It's good to see ANN's priorities are in the right place.

Seconded, if only for the fact that it should pique people's interest. So for those that don't know the first thing about it and are curious. Yes, it really is that good. Go watch it.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I too would like to see more of the Banner of the Stars series animated..
BOS3 was an OVA if I remember correctly and dealt directly with Jinto and his return to Martine.. That was never release in NA.. fansub only folks.

As for Crest of the Stars... I don't care to see it remade.. it was fine as is. And that chapter is done.. what is left open are the events that come after Banner of the Stars and BOS 2.

Infinite Ryvius.. another very good anime.. not sure if that needs a remake either..

Macross 7? umm after seeing Delta.. no please.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Pet Shop of Horrors does need to continue--it's as classy as Yamishibai Ghost Stories, and certainly classier than that wretched S4 they had to do-over in S5--even if we only remember it for one pretty good OAV DVD, back in the '99-'00 days when there were few enough things to find on DVD, and anime fans at least had something to play.

A Pet Shop remake, no--those four OVA episodes are wonderful just as they are. A continuation, most certainly! It's a shame that a lot of potential fans have no idea how good a property this is. I was thinking one cour of selected stories from the first manga series--especially the end!--which would lead into a second cour for the best stories from the Tokyo manga (I was so peeved when Tokyopop folded and no one picked it up.)

"I sold them a rabbit."
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Dual!, but I would rather see a sequel than a remake.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I would be up for a remake of Crest/Banner of the Stars, assuming they went the extra mile and adapt the unadapted books.

Infinite Ryvius was already perfect in my opinion I don't see a need to redo it. However, I'd definitely watch it if they did, it's one of my favorites.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Macross 7? umm after seeing Delta.. no please.

Macross 7? Nobody seems to be holding an unrequited bouquet of flowers for that one... Sad

Xavon wrote:
Voted for Dual!, but I would rather see a sequel than a remake.

Never got too far into Dual!, since some of us had watched it just for being one of the few new anime disks mail-Netflix had for rental at the time, and seemed like NOBODY got the deliberate Evangelion-parody joke...Even the Eva fans, which were just about everybody at the time.

I'd think they'd get the joke nowadays, eighteen years of being fan-hammered over the head with it later, but that also puts the humor a bit out of date.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
Macross 7 is an objectively terrible show that I happen to love anyway. I'd like to see it redone with competent directing and better animation. And maybe a few character redesigns...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
And i have watch Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko on AXN Asia in the past. It was a great show to watch.

I still have the AXN Asia dubtitled version on VHS:

"She's good at sports and smart, too. If only she had a better personality and bigger boobs." --some idiot talking about Yohko before she kicks a soccer ball to his face from across the field. IIRC neither of the fansub versions of episode one mentioned "boobs" in this scene.

What I recall of the dub was that it was on par with AXN's dub of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, which wasn't very good.

Got all three of the "Action" soundtrack CDs for the TV series which had four audio drama tracks each in addition to the TV-size, and full-size versions of the theme songs, the full-size version of the insert song "eternal promise", as well as an image song by Minami Takayama.

John Thacker wrote:
I would just like a release of Yamamoto Yohko, that was a fun show.

I suspect pre-Nozomi Right Stuf had an option on the TV series, since the priced down re-release of the OVAs on DVD used the TV series artbook cover (totally different character designs from the OVAs). But since the OVAs apparently didn't do so well in sales....

dm wrote:
I don't think Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko needs a remake. It's a really nice example of Shinbo's pre-SHAFT style.

Devil Hunter Yohko 6 being another example. It also has a spoiler[Yohko clone] and a supporting character who calls the heroine "Yohko-san".
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Macross 7 is an objectively terrible show that I happen to love anyway. I'd like to see it redone with competent directing and better animation. And maybe a few character redesigns...

I'm not sure I could deal with a series again, where the main character sings one of 3 songs in every episode... Rolling Eyes

I did sit through and watch the whole thing and to its credit the last arc does get really good.. its the first 2/3 you have to get through first.. lol

And DUAL! yes another good series.. unfortunately definitely dated. Besides the obvious Eva knockoff it was linked loosely to the Tenchi Muyo Universe.. and now I am gonna have the OP Theme song stuck in my head... thanks guys.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Sequels = cancer.

Remake stuff from 1999? Nah, thats too recent. Better remake stuff from the 70s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Code Geass already get a sequel? Why are people voting it for it?

For an 99's anime, what about Digimon Adventure. I'm kidding, although giving them better body proportions would help. Or drawing them in tri. style?
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
It'd be great if they did a remake of Master Keaton. I'm a sucker for MacGyver-style shows that are done well.

Heck, I'd settle for a remaster of the existing series. The old Pioneer DVDs look terrible, even on standard definition TVs back then.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I think they need remaster Banner of the Stars and try getting the series back into production again. I wasn't happy with the 3rd season they came out with. 2nd one was my favorite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4