• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eyeshield 21 Author Discusses Football Manga's '18+' Rating in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Encore22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Yuza wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
I love Eyeshield 21, but really, if anything was gonna get the "mature" rating on it, I would've assumed it'd be the casual racism rather than the proliferation of guns.

Yeah! This has always bothered me since I rarely see it brought up as a criticism. Hajime no Ippo had a similar relationship with black characters with essentially the same character as Panther, talking about "black muscles" and their genetic advantages over Japanese, but at least that was from the 80s. Eyeshield 21 is a lot more recent but Japan's homogeneous society seems to breed the same ignorance, and they seem to have a stock black character which is a bit patronizing (like when an old magic negro shows up in Hollywood films). They've latched onto the idea of the physically weaker Japanese underdog competing with the rest of the world, and black people are like the final boss.

It's funny how they've assumed it was the guns, though I do think Hiruma's character as a whole may be part of it.

I don't really see how Eyeshield is racist, there is even an entire character arc about a character realizing that his racism is wrong and stems from faulty generalizations, and this ends up saving the game for his team.

In my opinion, it is not racist at all to claim that black people generally has superior genes concerning speed compared to Japanese people, it is just fact.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing. How about you sit down and look up the definition of "inanimate object".

Gun control is a huge problem in America.
Fixed it.
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
I always thought the rating had to do with that one character who basically attempted to rape Mamori. They even showed him waking up after a night of sex. I forget his name. The one with the dreadlocks and glasses who had a twin.

But guns make more sense.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I was mostly referring to comedic cartoons like Dark Wing Duck or Tail Spin and pretty much every other Disney cartoon series from the 90s. Hell back then Disney could get away with anything short of murder. Smile

Maybe in the early '90s, but that may have changed when a specific episode of Gargoyles aired.

To the contrary, Saban edited gunplay out of a Samurai Pizza Cats episode back in 1991 ("Mission in Manhattan"). spoiler[One of the pizzacat's NY dopplegangers branishes a pistol, but scenes of him firing it were taken out of the English version. Ironically, even with edits the episode was still pulled from the US broadcast in 1996 over content.]
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
To the contrary, Saban edited gunplay out of a Samurai Pizza Cats episode back in 1991 ("Mission in Manhattan"). spoiler[One of the pizzacat's NY dopplegangers branishes a pistol, but scenes of him firing it were taken out of the English version.]

Actually, having watched that episode recently (both versions), there actually was a fair amount of gunplay left in the English version, and anything that was edited (or looked like it was) was due to animation errors in that episode.

Just for the record though, most American cartoons that aired in local syndication (Disney Afternoon included) were subject to much less strict standards than anything that aired on a national broadcast network (Batman on Fox/WB being the exception).
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
I always thought the rating had to do with that one character who basically attempted to rape Mamori. They even showed him waking up after a night of sex. I forget his name. The one with the dreadlocks and glasses who had a twin.

But guns make more sense.

Agon Kongo. His twin's name is Unsui.
Yuza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:
Yuza wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
I love Eyeshield 21, but really, if anything was gonna get the "mature" rating on it, I would've assumed it'd be the casual racism rather than the proliferation of guns.

Yeah! This has always bothered me since I rarely see it brought up as a criticism. Hajime no Ippo had a similar relationship with black characters with essentially the same character as Panther, talking about "black muscles" and their genetic advantages over Japanese, but at least that was from the 80s. Eyeshield 21 is a lot more recent but Japan's homogeneous society seems to breed the same ignorance, and they seem to have a stock black character which is a bit patronizing (like when an old magic negro shows up in Hollywood films). They've latched onto the idea of the physically weaker Japanese underdog competing with the rest of the world, and black people are like the final boss.

It's funny how they've assumed it was the guns, though I do think Hiruma's character as a whole may be part of it.

I don't really see how Eyeshield is racist, there is even an entire character arc about a character realizing that his racism is wrong and stems from faulty generalizations, and this ends up saving the game for his team.

In my opinion, it is not racist at all to claim that black people generally has superior genes concerning speed compared to Japanese people, it is just fact.

There are plenty of athletes in real life who have unique advantages due to their genetic heritage but he could have focused on literally any other part of his backstory - like his training on the rooftops, living rough, dedicating himself to practice, etc. that could have been compelling too, but instead he chose to focus on the "natural talent vs hard work" angle because he decided that was the most important part.

I'm not a scientist or athlete I think focusing on this one possible genetic advantage really oversimplifies what athletes really are. And the only two black characters (aside from Panther's grandma) in the story both have this trait - it's always an extreme.

The entire arc is a very oversimplified version of racism. I think it has good intentions but it's really patronizing. The coach was cartoonishly racist strawman, and it's ridiculous to think that in the 2000s no one in the NFL would have fired him. The portrayal of Americans in general is pretty stereotypical too, and even white Americans have an advantage over the Japanese because of their bodies but doesn't talk about how their culture is what really makes them strong - it's played in basically every high school, of course they're going to be the best.

Inagaki's characters aren't supposed to be taken that serious anyway but the way he plays up some of these racial stereotypes can be uncomfortable, especially when it's presented to a young audience that have probably never met foreigners before.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
Japanese people by and large are pretty casually racist, although not usually in a hateful way.

But you have to be pretty dumb to think that Japanese high school football players have a snowball's chance in hell at competing against national-level Texans, which are disproportionately black.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2