• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fairy Tail Creator Hiro Mashima Celebrates Manga's End

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taifood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Mashima's stories are fine, people just take Shounen stories way to seriously now because of One Piece.

Mashima draws as much as Murata just in less detail, and Oda doesn't direct the movies he's merely a supervising producer, her just provides a story and some sketches.
Poor writing is poor writing regardless of what genre it's in. His storytelling abilities are absolute garbage. He can build hype and world build well, but the way he executes on that creative ability is disgusting. Alvarez was absolutely disgusting. The way both final villains were handled was absolutely disgusting.

I'm a fan of his drawing abilities. He can draw some pretty good looking females, no lie, but that's all he's good at. Mashima needs to hire a writer for his next series because his narrative coherency is his weakest trait.

Also HxH is shonen and it's better than this series. It's not only One Piece that has good writing.
2weird4u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
A Man named RJ wrote:
So long Fairy Fail; You won't be missed. You'll only be remembered for giant walking semen demon body pillow that is your female cast, forced drama, and terrible Nakama powerups. Good riddance.

Mashima should just write hentai. Actually, no, he may make a story too awful for even that.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

It's a nice change from some of the other authors out there who it feels like always do the bare minimum or take time off for sickness and don't seem to be in a rush to get back in a timely manner.

Please;
Mashima couldn't tell a story from his left thumb. His art is boring - all action and tits no substance. He suffers from a worse version of Eiichiro Oda's Female look-alike syndrome than Oda himself does. Mashima only cares about bland rule of cool, with no regard for story or even decent panel layout. Mashima's methods are the bare minimum.

Oda takes his breaks because he was clearly over-working and continues to do so and his editors told him to calm down. This only came about after OP was regarded as having some of the best storytelling in Shonen Jump's history. He worked so hard he drew chapters in the Hospital [confirmed by Misashi Kishimoto] your statement makes absolutely no sense, what Mashima does is not new at all.

The only serious exceptions are Yoshihiro Togashi, (sick) Daisuke Ashihara (Sick) and Hiromu Arakawa (mother was sick and she had to take a hiatus) Kentaro Miura (unknown) and finally, Gosho Aoyama (surgery and is now back) everyone else gives it their all +100.

Look at Yusuke Murata. Dude streams his drawing the manga. Gosho Aoyoma is credited as an animation director in the detective Conan movies.Oda writes, and directs the modern one piece movies, and supervises specials.

Have some respect for the artist and his work! Even if you don't like it that's no reason to be this rude!
Also respect the people that enjoy it!
Taifood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
2weird4u wrote:
Have some respect for the artist and his work! Even if you don't like it that's no reason to be this rude!
I didn't know spitting facts was being rude.

Also the guy's response was to "Mashima's stories are fine." Hell no they aren't.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Taifood wrote:
2weird4u wrote:
I didn't know spitting facts was being rude.

Also the guy's response was to "Mashima's stories are fine." Hell no they aren't.

If that's spitting facts, then Nanoha and Fate NOT being canon, Karas being the most underrated OVA ever should also be spitting facts!
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail is the perfect example of an author saying "My work is already popular, I no longer have to try." It's a sad thing when you notice it, but what heart was actually there in the earlier arcs was gone by the time the manga got into its later stages.

There's value in being entertained, even by things without intellectual value, but when those things have vocal fanbases and seem to THINK that they can offer more fulfillment in watching them than they actually can, it's hard not to feel a little annoyed with the challenge of watching them. Future Diary, many ecchi shows, Akame Ga Kill, the worst parts of Code Geass, and especially Fairy Tail are all examples of anime that seem to think that they're smarter than they ever could dream of being.

On the other hand, Rave Master was mindless fun and no one complains about it because it was an appropriate length and its plot was sincerely enjoyable without needing to stretch things too much.

{Edit}: I combined your posts since with others removed they were right after each other. ~ Psycho 101
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Good bye Fairy tail. Even with your many flaws you were a fun series that followed me for many years. Major respect to Mashima. An artist that really shows his passion for his work. He also created Natsu, one of my favorite MC design.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail was good from the beginning till middle..but it went downhill after it kept repeating the same "friendship" power over and over. Natsu and Erza was too OP beating up the villains too easily. Pointless fan service which I hate the most...I dropped it awhile ago and sorry to say, I'm glad its over. But of course, they just announced the new final season for it. I hope you all who likes FT, enjoy it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Surprise surprise a FT thread with people acting rudely. Some posts have been removed and others edited. I suggest everyone remember people are allowed their opinions whether they enjoy or dislike a show as long as they present them civilly. You Taifood however are crossing that line. You are entitled to your opinions but they are just that, not facts. More importantly do not insult other users. Either present your opinions civilly or keep them to yourself. The same goes for everyone else.
Taifood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Surprise surprise a FT thread with people acting rudely. Some posts have been removed and others edited. I suggest everyone remember people are allowed their opinions whether they enjoy or dislike a show as long as they present them civilly. You Taifood however are crossing that line. You are entitled to your opinions but they are just that, not facts. More importantly do not insult other users. Either present your opinions civilly or keep them to yourself. The same goes for everyone else.
Okay, you got me there. Calling someone's taste terrible is pretty mean, but pointing out the issues with a narrative isn't an opinion. It's fact. Someone who says "this mangaka works harder than most" isn't an opinion. It's a fabrication.

I see what you're saying here, but there's a clear distinction between "this story is terrible but I still like it," with "This story has no flaws and is the best ever!" The person defending Mashima is what I was ultimately responding to. Not their taste. It was my poor decision to involve it.

Again, I see what you're saying but I still disagree in some areas.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
I forget. Exactly how many episodes could the remaining un-adapted chapters of the manga make up for in the anime?

(That is once they are ready to animate those last remaining chapters).

Someone please do the math for me.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
Taifood wrote:
Okay, you got me there. Calling someone's taste terrible is pretty mean, but pointing out the issues with a narrative isn't an opinion. It's fact. Someone who says "this mangaka works harder than most" isn't an opinion. It's a fabrication.

For starters pointing out issues YOU have with a narrative is actually an opinion. Not facts. Your opinion is that the narrative has these issues, not everyone shares that opinion. Secondly, someone stating "this mangaka works harder than most" is actually once again just an opinion. Obviously one you do not agree with but just because you don't agree with something does not make your opinion the one truth according to the gods of the multiverse and the other person's opinion some magical imaginary fabrication.

As for calling someone's tastes terrible yes it is mean. It's actually an insult towards that user and quite clearly violates rule #1 here. Be civil. We mods say time and again debate the opinion or show. Don't insult the fans of shows nor users themselves. Now what you actually did was call the show trash, and then said the user had shit taste. Then you told them to "keep sheepin". That's not simply saying they "have bad taste" now is it? So how about we not do that again and move on now. Thanks.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
Not crazy about the ending. People actually was predicting the friendship power angle since it was first announced the series was ending. So that took the thunder out of the lightning. But overall it was a decent story. Not great, but not disappointing.

But one thing is for sure, Mashima has proven that he does care about his fanbase, his manga team, as well as the staff to the anime. You really don't really hear much about that from other mangaka. So I give him props and wish him well on his next endeavor.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I forget. Exactly how many episodes could the remaining un-adapted chapters of the manga make up for in the anime?

(That is once they are ready to animate those last remaining chapters).

Someone please do the math for me.

I've been seeing 50-60 episodes mentioned a lot, but I suppose it depends on the pacing the studios settles on. I doubt if it will run as long as parts 1 and 2 did since there isn't a need to stretch or rely on filler, outside of production issues, anyway.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
There were a lot of things wrong with FT and a lot of good - unfortuantely, a lot of the good came from earlier. It did feel like things were getting very predictable and it was all about friendship power. And that power of friendship could be okay if it wasn't combined with characters who should not have won, barely pulled through a fight, and then went to win the next fight right after. There just wasn't a lot of thought or strategy anymore and it did feel like he lost a lot of the spark and love he had at the beginning. Not to mention there was so much more he could have done with the END thing and the book, especially after all the hype.

As a shipper, I was also disappointed. There wasn't a lot of closure at the end yet it wasn't even open ended. I don't know how to describe it.

I do think he continuously worked hard to give us a chapter every week and there is a reason it became so popular - but there's also a reason a lot of people were complaining at the end. Same goes with Naruto and Bleach, really.

(On that note - with Gintama coming to a close as well, I'm not sure what manga to attach myself to anymore @.@)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2