• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ushio & Tora English Dub Cast, Clip Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
How do you think the show compares to the manga then? Is it worth the hefty price tag?

I never read the manga, but I can tell you that the anime is one of the best written shounen, action-adventure shows I have watched. And considering that Sentai is releasing ALL 39 episodes in their sets, the regular edition sets are rather cheap. If Sentai was releasing this show in 3 parts the 3 DVD sets would be $180 MSRP combined, and the 3 BD sets would be $210 MSRP combined.

$100 MSRP on DVD or $130 MSRP on BD for all 39 episodes is an amazing value.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I loved the manga, I'm a bit skeptical on this since it somehow covered 300+ chapters in just 39 episodes..
I've heard from manga readers that a lot of the monster of the week chapters from early on were removed and one story arc was removed. I don't know how important it was.

The truth is that they were not really important arcs, it just helped make Ushio's journey longer and harder. He made friends that never appeared in the show, but they were not really important.
Except for one,spoiler[ the "Western Bakemono War". It introduced some characters that appear in episode 27 of the show without proper introduction and brings several characters back.]

Here a list I made of manga chapters that were not adapted into anime:
spoiler[Chapters 35 to 74
*35 to 38 : "The Houriki Heretic" arc, a crazy monk story (some pages of chapter 35 were adapted. Appearance of Kyoura, the crazy monk)
*54 to 58 : "You'll be dry arc", an oni story (introduction of Katayama and Kagami, two musicians buddies)
*58 to 63 : "The Warped Night" arc, a vampire story (introduction of Ayumi, a girl Ushio, Katayama and Kagami meet in a ferry; Hyou reappears)
*64 to 68: "The guardian god of the lake", a demon like story (Ushio is still hanging with Katayama, Kagami and Ayumi)
*69 to 74 : "The mist comes" arc a mist demon story (Ushio meetsTokuno, a former yakuza)

These stories were enjoyable, with some scary ones.

*82 to 84 : "Beastly Karakuri" arc, a scary doll story (centered on Asuko and Mayuko)

Chapters 116 to 138
*116 to 121 : "The Snow doesn't vanish at dawn" arc, a yuki onna story
*122 : a funny transition chapter (no real plot there)
*123 to 132 : "Countdown railroad" arc, a giant monster story (Ushio travels with his father in a train to come back to Tokyo; Kyoura the crazy monk reappears)
*133 to 138 : "High Speed Eater" arc, a motorcycles illegal competitions story (more development betweek Ushio and Asuko)

*166 : a sports competition at school

Chapters 175 to 219
*175 to 179 : "The day I swang the swing" arc (introduction of Minoru, a boy turned blind after a plane crash)
*180 : A new year chapter
*181 to 191 : "The Seal of Gedou" arc (introduction of Minoo, a transfer student girl, who must retrieve a powerful demon to her village)
*192 to 218 : "The Western Bakemono War", a battle between the demons of the East and the demon of the West (introduction of Shinno, Ibuki and You, Kyou and Nao 3 western Kamataichi who didn't appear in the anime; Hitotsuki, the osa of Tonno, Raishin and Kagari come back; first appearance of Ushio's mother; first fight against the Hakumen no Mono)
*219 : "Full Moon", a 1-chapter story

Chapters 231-238
*231-234 : " , mandrill-like demons story (centered on Kirio, and how he went to live with Mayuko)
*235-236 : "Gouki arc" (Hyou comes back)
*237 : chapter centered on journalist Moriya,who follows Ushio's steps (more like a recap chapter)

246 : a transition, high school story]

Well that'd be (roughly) all.

About the anime, I honestly think it's a very good adaptation, The story goes to the point but they managed to adapt the most important stories (except for the western warn).

However, I recommand you to read the manga: it feels more like a journey full of adventures, you really enter in Ushio and Tora's universe. And the 80s feels are just too good.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

The truth is that they were not really important arcs, it just helped make Ushio's journey longer and harder. He made friends that never appeared in the show, but they were not really important.
Except for one,spoiler[ the "Western Bakemono War". It introduced some characters that appear in episode 27 of the show without proper introduction and brings several characters back.]

Here a list I made of manga chapters that were not adapted into anime:
spoiler[Chapters 35 to 74
*35 to 38 : "The Houriki Heretic" arc, a crazy monk story (some pages of chapter 35 were adapted. Appearance of Kyoura, the crazy monk)
*54 to 58 : "You'll be dry arc", an oni story (introduction of Katayama and Kagami, two musicians buddies)
*58 to 63 : "The Warped Night" arc, a vampire story (introduction of Ayumi, a girl Ushio, Katayama and Kagami meet in a ferry; Hyou reappears)
*64 to 68: "The guardian god of the lake", a demon like story (Ushio is still hanging with Katayama, Kagami and Ayumi)
*69 to 74 : "The mist comes" arc a mist demon story (Ushio meetsTokuno, a former yakuza)

These stories were enjoyable, with some scary ones.

*82 to 84 : "Beastly Karakuri" arc, a scary doll story (centered on Asuko and Mayuko)

Chapters 116 to 138
*116 to 121 : "The Snow doesn't vanish at dawn" arc, a yuki onna story
*122 : a funny transition chapter (no real plot there)
*123 to 132 : "Countdown railroad" arc, a giant monster story (Ushio travels with his father in a train to come back to Tokyo; Kyoura the crazy monk reappears)
*133 to 138 : "High Speed Eater" arc, a motorcycles illegal competitions story (more development betweek Ushio and Asuko)

*166 : a sports competition at school

Chapters 175 to 219
*175 to 179 : "The day I swang the swing" arc (introduction of Minoru, a boy turned blind after a plane crash)
*180 : A new year chapter
*181 to 191 : "The Seal of Gedou" arc (introduction of Minoo, a transfer student girl, who must retrieve a powerful demon to her village)
*192 to 218 : "The Western Bakemono War", a battle between the demons of the East and the demon of the West (introduction of Shinno, Ibuki and You, Kyou and Nao 3 western Kamataichi who didn't appear in the anime; Hitotsuki, the osa of Tonno, Raishin and Kagari come back; first appearance of Ushio's mother; first fight against the Hakumen no Mono)
*219 : "Full Moon", a 1-chapter story

Chapters 231-238
*231-234 : " , mandrill-like demons story (centered on Kirio, and how he went to live with Mayuko)
*235-236 : "Gouki arc" (Hyou comes back)
*237 : chapter centered on journalist Moriya,who follows Ushio's steps (more like a recap chapter)

246 : a transition, high school story]

Well that'd be (roughly) all.

About the anime, I honestly think it's a very good adaptation, The story goes to the point but they managed to adapt the most important stories (except for the western warn).

However, I recommand you to read the manga: it feels more like a journey full of adventures, you really enter in Ushio and Tora's universe. And the 80s feels are just too good.

Thanks, they seem to cut a absurd amount of content.. I've read the manga before and I think the long build up made the finale so very rewarding. I don't think the anime will have the same lasting impression the manga gave me but I might grab it during one of Sentai's frequent sales if it drops below $50.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
A nearly 40 episode series of Brett Weaver growling at me? What did I do to deserve such riches?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise that they didn't put Ushio and Tora 2015 on Toonami. The dub for it so far sounds like a perfect fit for the block.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Ushio and Tora would be a perfect fit for Toonami. I just wonder where it would go with JJBA Part 3 a the end the month
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Man, Brett Weaver is so awesome! It's great to hear him again. Smile

John Swasey directed one of ADV's greatest dubs, Welcome to the NHK, so this show is in good hands. I will say, though, that I don't normally hear David Matranga in the shonen protagonist role. I definitely wanna hear more.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good to me.

belvadeer wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The only thing I don't understand is, why is Hakumen no Mono being voiced by a man, when it was voiced by a women in the original?

Probably because it's genderless. I wonder, though, if John Swasey can do that kind of ambiguous voice or they're just going to have him go with his usual manly voice like he did for Kumatetsu. I think Chris Ayres would have been a solid choice given how brilliantly he voices Frieza.

My problem with this is that some of Hakumen's avatars are obviously women and are all voiced by Hayashibara in Japanese. They're gonna have to have different VA's in the dub.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
it's funny when people bash on sentai's dubs yet this sounded pretty good.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
My problem with this is that some of Hakumen's avatars are obviously women and are all voiced by Hayashibara in Japanese. They're gonna have to have different VA's in the dub.

That's an excellent point. I'd forgotten that white fox freak thing sometimes used female forms to mess with people. Most likely they'll do just that and have a female VA or VAs for those bodies.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I think Chris Ayres would have been a solid choice given how brilliantly he voices Frieza.

Chris Ayers is on an indefinite hiatus due to medical reasons. He's been in the hospital and in and out of ICU for over three months now waiting for a double lung transplant and a double heart bypass. He's remaining typically upbeat and keeping busy on Twitter and Facebook.

Why this hasn't been news on ANN I don't know, I emailed his Facebook post to the news room. I guess deathly ill English VAs and staff aren't news worthy, but every Japanese VA with a cold is big news. I also tipped them off that the original English ADR director for Akira and the '80s Transformers cartoon and movie recently passed away, but that, too, wasn't news worthy. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
I think Chris Ayres would have been a solid choice given how brilliantly he voices Frieza.

Chris Ayers is on an indefinite hiatus due to medical reasons. He's been in the hospital and in and out of ICU for over three months now waiting for a double lung transplant and a double heart bypass. He's remaining typically upbeat and keeping busy on Twitter and Facebook.

Why this hasn't been news on ANN I don't know, I emailed his Facebook post to the news room. I guess deathly ill English VAs and staff aren't news worthy, but every Japanese VA with a cold is big news. I also tipped them off that the original English ADR director for Akira and the '80s Transformers cartoon and movie recently passed away, but that, too, wasn't news worthy. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
also strange because when his brother Greg had that heart attack back in 09 ANN reported it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

I had no idea really. I was simply stating Chris would have been a great voice for Hakumen no Mono since his voice lends itself well to that type of character. I do wish the best for him to get through that.

Quote:
Why this hasn't been news on ANN I don't know, I emailed his Facebook post to the news room. I guess deathly ill English VAs and staff aren't news worthy, but every Japanese VA with a cold is big news. I also tipped them off that the original English ADR director for Akira and the '80s Transformers cartoon and movie recently passed away, but that, too, wasn't news worthy.

I honestly had no idea about this either. I haven't really had much time to check the news online during the week. Terrible news.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Emerje wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Emerje
also strange because when his brother Greg had that heart attack back in 09 ANN reported it.

As they did when Greg broke his teeth a few years ago and fundraisers were being done to get them fixed.

*shrug*

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
it's funny when people bash on sentai's dubs yet this sounded pretty good.

Most of the time Sentai dubs are bad and I do agree that this does sound good for the two main leads. I want to hear the girls and Hakumen before final judgement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3