• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School-Live! Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I disagree with the reviewer about the fanservice. Only those really sensitive about fanservice would be bothered by what little they have in School Live! For most it will be a non-issue.

From memory, what made the limited fan service still feel a bit iffy was that it was almost entirely focused on the one girl they find in the shopping centre, who spent quite a bit of screen time in her underwear & not because it was hot.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz

Much like I commented to someone on another forum about My Hero Academia's first season, School-Live! doesn't do anything groundbreaking. The Anime does a decent adaptation of the Manga up to where the Anime ends.
Sometimes you need a good story told well. The Anime of School-Live! does that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
From memory, what made the limited fan service still feel a bit iffy was that it was almost entirely focused on the one girl they find in the shopping centre, who spent quite a bit of screen time in her underwear & not because it was hot.

I always found it odd that she wears garter belts (suspenders in correct English). Those are usually seen as sexy and erotic which conflicts with her shy personality. I've heard they are a pain in the ass to put on/wear anyway (don't quote me on that) so it was just odd.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the good points about the anime is that it did make differences from the source material, not that I am all that familiar with the manga. The anime's story feels like it was made for an anime, with properly fitted foreshadowing and well made symbolism that fit the structure of the show.

On the music front, one of the parts I really enjoyed in the show was the track "music box", which tended to be used for a sort of melancholic feel, and the show has a really distorted version at a very important feel for setting up the tone. Or that great work with the scene with the stereo, where the music starts to break leading up to the line spoiler["Who is Megu-nee?"], along with the changes in the scenery. A lot of the things can be kind pieced together from paying attention, so often reveals really were not coming out nowhere, but there was this kind of awesome use of all tools for making big scenes as impactful as possible.

The dog is an addition, but it creates a very satisfying arc for the show follow, also. It does not need to perfectly follow the source material to actually tell a good story.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

I always found it odd that she wears garter belts (suspenders in correct English). Those are usually seen as sexy and erotic which conflicts with her shy personality. I've heard they are a pain in the ass to put on/wear anyway (don't quote me on that) so it was just odd.

I strongly agree with this. Miki in garter belts never felt sexy or fanservicy; it was super weird and out of place.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga after watching the anime but honestly I prefer the anime. Probably just a simple case of "whatever was experienced first" but I didn't feel the changes in the story were for the worse, and the next arc in the story isn't being as interesting to me as Yuki is/was.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm continually surprised by how many people say they were surprised by the reveal in episode one. I thought it was super well established before the season even happened that the show was going to be exactly like that. It is Ntiroplus afterall, and the synopsis on most places I looked literally explained they lived in a zombie infested world. Not to mention manga readers exist to spoil things as usual.
Anyway, I wasn't super impressed by this show. I appreciated how it was put together, ultimately. It felt like a very meticulously and thoughtfully constructed plot. But like meiam, I found the contrast between the slice of life and the zombie stuff to be a little too incongruous, and as a big fan of slice of life stuff, it was pretty bottom of the barrel, cliche, and boring. I still gave it a decent score mostly just because of the craft, but it was kind of just a boring show to me.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm continually surprised by how many people say they were surprised by the reveal in episode one. I thought it was super well established before the season even happened that the show was going to be exactly like that. It is Ntiroplus afterall, and the synopsis on most places I looked literally explained they lived in a zombie infested world. Not to mention manga readers exist to spoil things as usual.

I knew it was actually a zombie show going in, but I didn't expect the first episode twist. I figured the first episode or two was just going to show their normal lives before shit hit the fan and there were suddenly zombies running around. I didn't suspect that the entire first episode was just Yuki's PTSD-induced fantasy and the zombie outbreak had already happened.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Fans mostly hated all the changes from manga. spoiler[taking out the helicopter crash] was a big one for me. Not only was it lazy, but it killed a really important story element. Overall I did like this series, I just feel like it could've been better.

The changes were for the better. I don't like to generalize and say that fans will hate changes just for being changes, but that's really what it feels like with this.

I don't recall spoiler[the helicopter crash] seeming like a big deal, but it has been a while since I read it so I might have forgotten some details.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
TymersRealm wrote:
@Jose Cruz

Much like I commented to someone on another forum about My Hero Academia's first season, School-Live! doesn't do anything groundbreaking. The Anime does a decent adaptation of the Manga up to where the Anime ends.

I had the impression My Hero Academia was a more special achievement than this one, at least compared to the manga of School Live. Although both are well crafted stories My Hero Academia was a truly exciting watch for me. Well, I guess I might like those action shows more than horror.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I read the manga up to chapter 45 or so. I found it a pretty good manga but nothing super special. It's basically the walking dead + cute girls. So I am a bit surprised by the show's popularity among critics here, although the animation might be superior to the manga. Although 2015 was a weak anime year for me (my top pick of 2015 is Lesbian Bear Storm), while 2014 had Ping Pong and Shirobako, 2016 had several cool shows as well.

nah, the anime is really better than the manga.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's never explained why Yuki's uniform is different from the other girls, especially since she's supposed to be in the same grade as two of them, though it serves the purpose of further distinguishing her from the other girls.

If you invert the colors the green/purple come pretty close to swapping with each other.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
TymersRealm wrote:
@Jose Cruz

I had the impression My Hero Academia was a more special achievement than this one, at least compared to the manga of School Live. Although both are well crafted stories My Hero Academia was a truly exciting watch for me. Well, I guess I might like those action shows more than horror.

That's the thing. Your view on School-Live! mirrors that commenters views on MHA: Kinda cool show, but I don't get the hype/praise.
And that is true. The Stories are decent, but not necessarily groundbreaking. It's the overall execution both stories deliver, weather Manga or Anime, that's light a fire among their respective fans.
Now I'm not a big fan of either genres that make up School-Live!'s setting. But the way they are blended makes it work. Much like how the over-the-top action action, fan service, and teen angst makes High School of the Dead a bit more interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2