• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Agent355 wrote:
it's a whole 'nother story to subject her to psychosexual and physical torture by stringing her up naked...that *really* gives me pause.

Guess it depends on what you are looking for in an anime. I like a bit of everything, and that includes dark stories. What you mentioned is hardly new in real life, and far horrific things have happened to kids too. There are plenty of evil parents and evil relatives doing horrific things to kids behind closed doors. When you start going into institutions that deal with kids far greater dark things can and have happened. But when you go medieval on that you enter and even darker arena. There is plenty of fluffy candy out there, plenty of clean action out there, and there is even a place for the dark stuff.

I like dark stories, too, but my impression of the overall tone of the episode was lighter. It didn't feel like, say, a Mari Okada joint. And the way the kids were talking about being strung up naked for disobeying the rules didn't match the severity of the punishment. It felt like "oh, no! The teacher will get mad at us and we'll get detention!" It's like watching soldiers talking about being waterboarded as if they were getting kitchen duty.
I'm a child abuse survivor and I work in the mental health field. I've met people who were subject to horrible treatment in actual orphanages. This is not the way they react to talking about their experiences. If someone wants to represent trauma, or at least psychological reactions to trauma somewhat realistically, I'm all for that (see: Erased, the first half of Your Lie in April, even the better parts of Gundam: IBO and other Mari Okada shows). If someone wants to go over the top and campy in violence and not take itself too seriously (see shows like: Dead Man Wonderland, Baccano, the less good parts of Mari Okada shows, etc), those shows can be fun, too. If someone wants to mix that up a bit, have a show that starts out happy-go-lucky and becomes violent and dark, like Madoka, that's cool (I happen to think Madoka did a really good job shifting to a darker tale, because the characters reacted appropriately to the shift). If a show presents kids talking about horrible acts of abuse committed against them as if they were being put in time out, in the middle of an atmosphere that otherwise doesn't reflect what they're talking about, I'm not quite sure what the show is going for.

I suspect at this point it's just the anime adaptation trying to whitewash the more disturbing parts of the original manga, but that the tone will shift more gradually as the show goes on. That's fine. The only thing I'm worried about is child abuse or torture being handwaved as no big deal.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:

Mod asked us to move on because we're questioning how ANN handles things. They don't want us to point out what the do wrong because they perfectly know about that, but the rest of people doesn't.

In contrast to ANN reviewers, I don't have a big website, army of moderators and ad money to publish and defend my opinions, so a little offtopic talk must have do. Feel free to ban me if my input isn't welcome here, I'll take my ad revenue elsewhere.

Willag answered you already but I have got to respond to the bolded parts. The first being so off base it's hilarious. Army of moderators? HAHAHAHA. There only a small handful of us that are active. A half dozen basically. We're also not paid staff. We're simply volunteers who find ways to take time out of our already busy lives (every one of us currently active has a normal real life job) to fulfill our roles as mods. We wouldn't even match up against the Salvation Army branch in Guam. The only exception to that is Key because he is also a reviewer, but he does not get paid to be a mod.

As for the second part....what exactly do you, and anyone else here who might share this opinion, think a "review" is? A review be definition is just someone's opinions. The reviewer gives his or her opinions on that item whatever it may be. Here it would be an anime show or manga, etc. That's how a review works. The person uses, watches, whatever that item and gives their opinions on it. Nowhere does it say that review is somehow set in stone and is nothing but the truth according god and the universe. It's just an opinion and you are more then welcome to not agree with it and think differently. Yet people continue to act as if by not liking a show, or liking a show in other cases, that reviewer is somehow personally insulting them and challenging them to some sort of duel over the proper and true opinion of that show. Seriously, if you don't agree with the review or the reviewer then good for you. Say so. Then watch the show, enjoy the show, and just move on. That doesn't take ad revenue of any sort btw.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The only exception to that is Key because he is also a reviewer, but he does not get paid to be a mod.
This site has paid reviewers? For some reason I always imagined a room filled with monkeys and typewriters.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I think maintaining a monkey is probably more expensive than paying a reviewer.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
The only exception to that is Key because he is also a reviewer, but he does not get paid to be a mod.
This site has paid reviewers? For some reason I always imagined a room filled with monkeys and typewriters.

They advertised at least twice so far for more paid reviewers. This should have been common knowledge by now.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

They advertised at least twice so far for more paid reviewers. This should have been common knowledge by now.

Pretty sure they know, they're just mocking the reviewers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I suspect at this point it's just the anime adaptation trying to whitewash the more disturbing parts of the original manga, but that the tone will shift more gradually as the show goes on. That's fine. The only thing I'm worried about is child abuse or torture being handwaved as no big deal.

I see your point. Life would not be that joyful, if those punishments were an everyday fact of life. There would be some imprint of that on their actions and thinking.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The forum link under the Magic Circle Guru-guru doesn't point to this preview thread.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I am actually kind of excited to check out Smartphone, if only because the series intro thing that I read made it seem ridiculously silly. It's like someone said, "This isekai thing is hot, but those other shows just water down the thrill of imagining yourself as the perfect boy with all the magic, all the girls, and all the credit for saving everyone and everything. I mean, Kirito was cool but he just had too many flaws."

That's pretty much Smartphone in a nutshell. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination (there's a lot of better Isekai light novels, and hopefully a couple of much better adaptations within the next year or so), but it's not terrible either.

It's pretty much total wish fulfillment to the Nth degree and it's ridiculous and kind of amusing in the same breath.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The smartphone isekai was one heck of a drag. The only noteworthy thing that stuck was the kinda cool music playing when he did the gate spell for the first time. Wasn't expecting anything from it anyway.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Someday I am going to write an isekai LN where the boy is accidentally killed by god, and God just says, "You know what kid, I'm not so good at this god thing, so I'm transferring all my godly powers to you and you are now in charge of the universe. Also, here's 100 virgin girls for you to have all to yourself. Also, I am transforming all other boys into ugly douchebags or gender swapping them into hot girls, just to make sure your godliness has no competition. Now run along you little scamp!"
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Guru Guru was such a nostalgia trip for me; I loved every second of it. Definitely my AotS.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
So Magical Circle Guruguru is fun even if you haven't seen the original anime/manga? Good to know.

I've been curious about the franchise ever since at the height of my weebness a glitch on Cartoon Network's schedule claimed it was going to be airing in the US. (Anyone else remember this? I got all excited for this strange unadvertised new anime, then tuned in to find an Adventure Time repeat.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Someday I am going to write an isekai LN where the boy is accidentally killed by god, and God just says, "You know what kid, I'm not so good at this god thing, so I'm transferring all my godly powers to you and you are now in charge of the universe. Also, here's 100 virgin girls for you to have all to yourself. Also, I am transforming all other boys into ugly douchebags or gender swapping them into hot girls, just to make sure your godliness has no competition. Now run along you little scamp!"

I think you just wrote the synopsis for the next sword art online.

I also just watched knight and magic episode 2 and... well it wasn't too far from that. Maybe I'll just re watch grimgar as a palette cleanser.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Huh, didn't even know about Guruguru. It's not something I would have checked out based on the character designs and look, but given the previews, I think I will. This guide may just have saved me from missing something good!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 35