• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Movie to Film This Year for 2008 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, I hope the fact that they're using an early script won't make the film look like a rush-job.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
Chow might be the only saving grace of this film. Hopefully Hollywood doesn't restrict him alot and allows him to do his job.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Well if Piccolo is the Villian it'll be a adaption of the King Piccolo Arc, so Goku is a boy at the time but...... I dunno, they'd jus change him into his Young Adult state, plus there were always hostilities between Goku and Piccolo even later into the Z saga.

I suspect it will cover the last tournament time frame from the original Dragon Ball. More then likely Goku will be handled as if he was a late teenager or early adult. Can't very well have real live kids shooting fireballs in between their tutoring sessions now can we? If nothing else having Stephen Chow helping produce it means it might at least be somewhat comical.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:14 am Reply with quote
Chow does give the movie at least somewhat of a saving grace, since people will recognize his name and associate with Kung-Fu Hustle.
Bunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
Wow!

So it's really gonna happen! James Marsters would make a good demon king Piccolo. (Piccolo's daddy) I can see him being real menacing, and demonic. His face isn't quite young enough to play DBZ Piccolo, though.

And for the guy playing Goku, I can almost see Goku's happy-go-lucky spirit in his face. I don't know anything about him, but he has the big eyes, the right complexion, and a winning smile.

Both of them boys better bulk the heck up, though. Pump them full of steroids. DBZ is defined by the musculature of its character designs, to the point where it's anatomically incorrect. That's one thing that sets it apart from most other manga/anime. The last thing I want to see is a skinny ass Goku, or Yamcha.

But ditto that on Stephen Chow being involved!!! I'm thrilled to hear that. It's also the first impression I've had that this movie may not suck after all. He'll add the right amount of comedic slapstick. Humor and Goku go hand in hand. And yes, I read he is a HUGE fan of Dragonball Z. That was a good move on Fox's part.

I had really hoped they'd do a big-budget CG production of Dragonball Z (think Advent Children) instead of a live action. I mean, c'mon. Live action can't do DBZ justice, can it? I saw a clip of a DBZ live action by Japan I think, or was it Hong Kong? Either way, it so sucked.

Well, 2008. I'll see it, no matter what, being a huge Dragonball fan. I won't get my hopes up too high, though.

I'd definitely like to see Tien in it...
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
So does this mean they're saving Vegeta, Frieza, Cell etc. for the sequels? Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ah. So I guess they're doing the end of Dragon Ball instead of DBZ and saving that for sequels. Doesn't sound bad. I only saw the start of DBZ myself.

Hearing Chow is in it is certainly good.

Marsters has delt with rabid fan bases before. Funny, he's going from a Superman villian to a Dragon Ball one.

As for the kid playing Goku. Whoo. Good luck to him. This could be the next Harry Potter in terms of popular books to big film franchises.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
Bunk wrote:

Live action can't do DBZ justice, can it? I saw a clip of a DBZ live action by Japan I think, or was it Hong Kong? Either way, it so sucked.

It was Hong Kong, and that movie was made in the 80s (or early 90s?) for an extremely low budget (it recently got a remastered version with "improved" special effects that look like they're from the mid-90s Rolling Eyes ) If a big budget American film can't be better than a low budget Hong Kong flick where you could see the wires when they were flying, then all hope is lost.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Stephen Chow's involvement has upgraded my feelings about the film from a "failure" to a "might actually be cool".

I would be more likely to agree with that if Steven Chow was in the director. Instead we are likely to get a pretty bad and terribly miscast movie.

Justin Chatwin is Goku? WTF??? That's pretty much the worst casting ever. I mean there's a reason why he was cast as a lead in a movie called "The Invisible".
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
I wonder how Justin Chatwin looks like so that I can compare if he looks like Goku. Also, I heard that Vegeta won't be in this movie, but I don't think Triple H should be Vegeta just because Triple H is like 6'5 and Vegeta is around 5'7.

I would've thought they would have at least casted WWE wrestlers because they're bulky enough. The Rock could've been Picolo
RodimusBen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
This is going to be amusing. Already it looks like people are assuming they are going to adapt the manga in a generally faithful manner. I can almost guarantee they are going to cull little bits of the mythology from here and there and retool it into something that will make fans have coronaries. It will be Transformers all over again; hopefully there will actually be a good movie at the end of it as in that case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
Oh jesus. I thought this was never going to happen.

It'll definately be interesting...
IggyTheSmidge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
You know, I really can't see James Marsters as Piccolo - though that may be because he's always been Vegeta in my fantasy DBZ cast list. Besides, he's what - 5'9? Way too short for Piccolo,but just right for ol' Vegy. Razz

I'm just hoping they don't rope Verne Troyer in to play Krillin. Shocked
Kimyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
OH!MY!GOD!

+Happy Dance, Happy Dance+

Now I know where I'll be 8-15-08!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we all know the hobbits in Lord of the Rings were perfomed by 4 ft tall actors.
Hollywood can make a 5'9 actor into a 20 ft character if they want to. Same fur muscles-foam, latex, whatever.

Goku would be 15/16 around King Piccalo, wouldn't he? Not to mention, I see Marsters as more the younger Piccalo, not the older one. That puts it around the Tourni which does in a way make sense--those unfamiliar with DBZ understand tourni formats--they can reveal his motive with one line "You killed my father!" It still also doesn't detract from the Raditz story as Piccalo was still very much Goku's enemy & didn't totally soften up until Cell.
A tourni would also allow them to semi-ignore the dragonballs which still sort of seem like they need an entire movie of their own to explain.

Of course Yamcha wouldn't necessarily be a part of the Raditz story, but maybe a tourni

I sort of see something akin to the manga also just for the following. At least something that wouldn't mess up the storyline for future movies & the title does have a rather large following aroung the world--I'd argue much larger than the Transformer fanbase prior to that movie.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6