• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are So Many Anime's English Titles Total Nonsense?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Probably the worst I've ever seen is Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu [translated as Magic-Girl Squad: Alice] somehow becoming *shudder* "Tweeny Witches."
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems like that happened more often in the old days, but every so often we still get some wonderful weirdness like "Four Rhythm Across the Blue" or "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet."

Some of my favorite oldie but goodie titles include "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku," "Noodle Fighter Miki"/"Ramen Fighter Miki" (depending whether you read the manga or watched the anime), "Pumpkin Scissors," "Zombie-Loan," and "Boogiepop Phantom."
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
It's definitely awkward, but probably not because of why you think so.
spoiler[It's not supposed to be "Attack of the Titans" or anything similar.]

I'm still on the coup arc, but I've gotten a vague sense of the spoilery meaning... and honestly, though I wouldn't have guessed it, it seems like it should've been obvious in retrospect.

spoiler[Armored Titan is "Yoroi no Kyojin", Female Titan is "Megata no Kyojin", Beast Titan is "Kemono no Kyojin"...]
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
My favorite awkward English title is "The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays", which was wisely not used outside of Japan. The unnecessary (though not incorrect) use of "which" just cracks me up for some reason.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Glitter Force. And this one can't be blamed on the Japanese.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
I consider "Bubblegum Crisis" to be the strangest most out of place title.

I thought it was because the girls were also a 'pop' (ie: 'Bubblegum') music group? So the title is suggesting a combination of pop music and action.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
For the record, the title is read as "Turn-A Gundam," and the symbol has a meaning - it denotes "for all the elements of a set," i.e. it was meant to be something of a capstone to the franchise (as evidenced by all the references to past Gundam series).

Having played Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma, I also have no choice but to read the second Tokyo Ghoul series' title as "Radical-A".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Credibility aside, the Bleach Answers wiki page called "Why is the story called 'Bleach'?" gives this explanation:

Quote:
"In an interview in Shonen Jump Magazine, Tite Kubo revealed the reasoning behind Bleach's title:

The title wasn't Bleach when Tite Kubo decided to draw a story about Shinigami. This was before he drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe (as in "Sniper"). Right before he started drawing, he began to think that a sword would be better and realized he couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. He began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Shinigami are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "Bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white."
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I've wondered what I My Me! Strawberry Eggs is supposed to mean. It's kinda fun to say out loud though.

I still occasionally have issues trying to pronounce or type Bladedance (or is it Blade Dance?) of the Elementalers. I just blank out half-way through and it comes out like Elementalelars or something.

Last edited by Cam0 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I'm still on the coup arc, but I've gotten a vague sense of the spoilery meaning... and honestly, though I wouldn't have guessed it, it seems like it should've been obvious in retrospect.

spoiler[Armored Titan is "Yoroi no Kyojin", Female Titan is "Megata no Kyojin", Beast Titan is "Kemono no Kyojin"...]

(major spoiler) spoiler[Yeah, the title of the manga is the Eldian name for Eren's titan form.]

Harleyquin wrote:
If it means anything to readers here, the Chinese title for "Bleach" is 净化 which loosely translates to "purification".

That's really neat!

Cam0 wrote:
I still occasionally have issues trying to pronounce or type Bladedance (or is it Blade Dance?) of the Elementalers. I just blank out half-way through and it comes out like Elementalelars or something.

It's always sounded like the title of something from Penny Arcade to me.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Really? Because that it totally what the Japanese title is (except it doesn't necessarily need to be plural).

That's what it would be if it were "Kyojin no Shingeki", not the other way around.

nechronius wrote:
Attack on Titans
Attack of Titans
Titan Attack

As I said, none of those is what the title is supposed to mean.
spoiler[The last one would actually work if it was switched around. Though it would've still gotten people saying it was weird English until the reveal. Laughing]

Read BodaciousSpacePirate's comment for the answer.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
I always felt like "Bodacious Space Pirates" was supposed to be a kind of silly and out dated but fitting title.
I consider "Bubblegum Crisis" to be the strangest most out of place title. "Kiddy Grade" is a runner up.

The theme song suggests that they got "Bodacious" confused with "Optimistically brave and girl-power genki", but...I do not think it means what they think it means. (Also, I don't think the Japanese read the old hillbilly Snuffy Smith comic strip.)

Also, I always thought "Bubblegum" referred to pop music (since Priss had a rock group), not to "A crisis that balloons to a pop".

FlowerAiko wrote:
The original English name for SukaSuka, that anime that aired last season, was:
"Do you have what THE END? Are you busy? Shall you save xxx?"
I find that hilarious.

You mean the one that's been more fluidly localized into What Are You Doing At the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Ten bucks says that comes to disk as just its own current easier (and better) fan-adopted title, "World's End".

And with the current mainstream Japanese otaku-demonization of manga, anime and games as causing social deviancy, current arguments trying for more reasonable credibility have tried to rein in the complaints to just demonizing the rampant quasi-incest/pedophilic fanservice-y tone of light-novel manga, starting with the mile-long "As If I Don't Have Enough Troubles, I'm Confused After I Found Out She Was My Sister!" titles.
That way, it's easier to pick on something more obviously annoying, and then get to the more pointed social soapboxing afterwards.
DLH112

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Symphogear seasonal subtitles, especially
"Believe in Justice, and Hold a Determination to Fist"
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
If it means anything to readers here, the Chinese title for "Bleach" is 净化 which loosely translates to "purification".

Never heard of anyone using that term in the past decade at any anime-related forum using Chinese, simplified or traditional. Confused

In Taiwan, it's called 死神, literally "the Death" (with capital D).

In Hong Kong, it's called 漂靈, literally "wondering spirit."

In PR China, the legally licensed version did not appear almost a decade later, so most fans there have adapted Taiwan's translation (most HK forum users type written Cantonese instead of standard Chinese while participating online discussions; non-Cantonese-speaking people would find it difficult to read). After title like 死神 and 净灵 (literally "purifying spirits") have been rejected by GAPP (Chinese censors are usually very sensitive to supernatural and occult themes), the final approved title is 境·界, which I find it very smart by using characters of the same pronunciation (境界 means "realm" or "status," which tells very little to readers what exactly it is, but 境 has the exactly same pronunciation to 净 (cleansing, purifying)), with the help of a middle dot breaking apart two characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
fathergoat wrote:
I consider "Bubblegum Crisis" to be the strangest most out of place title.

I thought it was because the girls were also a 'pop' (ie: 'Bubblegum') music group? So the title is suggesting a combination of pop music and action.

Priss is the only musician in the group. (Some of the later episodes use songs by all the voice actors credited collectively as the Knight Sabers, but they're not "in universe" songs (like "Konya wa Hurricane" from episode 1), and were mostly a way to get around Kinuko Ohmori's contract restrictions.)

Reportedly, the title is supposed to evoke the image of blowing a bubble when chewing gum; if you go too far, the whole thing blows up. So the title is trying to represent a precarious situation (the "crisis" part) that's on the verge of exploding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8